Chapter 1: An Ill Guest Arrives

matt_s

MalakaiThree.jpg.4683114ef9baf763d8ef8cf491c662c6.jpgMalakai Wallace

ST: 11 | DX: 11 IQ: 10 | HT: 10 | Will: 11 | PER: 11 | Speed: 5.25 | Move: 5

HP: 11/11 | FP: 10/10 | Dodge: 8 | Parry: 9 (Brawling) / 8 (Knife) | Thr: 1d-1 | Sw: 1d+1

Malakai catches himself admiring the cactus flowers, thinkin' how pretty the white blossoms might look tucked in Kitty's hair, when Mickey points out the wounded wagon. They'd been following the track for quite a while, but the gold hound was still surprised to actually meet someone along this forlorn stretch of mesas and desert.

"If you fellers want to cover me, I'll ride on ahead and see what's happened." Malakai says, checking his pistol quickly to make sure its sitting easy and loose in his holster. "Most likely it's just some poor settler broke down on the trail. Then again, might be a couple of Davey's boys layin' a trap. Either way, I'd feel a right bit more comfortable knowing a couple o' good rifles were watchin' over me."

Perception

Edited by DM-Tareth (see edit history)
Name
Perception
3d6 1,5,3

Each of the three riders can with a bit of squinting get a better sense of the scene from where they stand. Their initial impression was on the mark, more or less but more than less. The wagon was in a bad state, one of the wheels having worked its way off and the canvas tarp was torn - no, not torn, shot up. The faint marks of bullets were also witness to past violence, telltale pox inflicted by trespassers of lead not varicella. One of the oxen was missing from its place in the train. Another looked to be shot or at least wounded in some respect.

An old or maybe just weathered man was pacing back and forth looking on the scene in agitated helplessness. A figure of a woman was in the wagon, and it seemed that neither had spotted them yet. The old man had a rusty muzzleloading shotgun on his back.

OOC
On 2/27/2024 at 1:02 AM, Bobcloclimar said:

Would his engineering skill (9) be applicable here?

yes, you can roll as is but you might not get much given everyone rolled well to look at it. If you get close and try to diagnose or repair it, definitely roll engineering then.

HP: 11/11 | FP: 10/10 | Dodge: 8 | Parry: 9 (Brawling) / 8 (Knife) | Thr: 1d-1 | Sw: 1d+1

From what he could see, these folk were more likely victims of Davy than members of his gang. Still, the old man and his blunderbuss looked a bit jumpy so Malakai does his best to ride up clear and easy. Doing his right best to appear as non-threatening as possible.

"Hallo!" He calls from a ways back. "Hallo in the wagon." Adding a friendly wave to his greeting.

"Me an' my companions here are deputies outta Arcadia." Eyes glance meaningfully to the broken down wagon. "Looks like you've had a spot o' trouble in a place where trouble's always brewin'. Can we lend ya a hand?"

The old man spat. The hell is your badge then? Still they got them, I ain't going no place as it is, and if you mean to help then I'd be grateful for it.

Wagon's stuck. Broken more like. Whole thing's heavy, too damn heavy for me and the missus to patch up. If you've strong backs or knowledge of repairin' these confounded contraptions - maybe the first the deputies heard of anyone referring to a wagon as a full on "contraption" - then lend me a hand and I'll then gladly share a meal and some coffee with you. It's rough country, bad country.

But it ain't bad country. I tell a lie. It's men that's bad. People here, they see malice everywhere but themselves. You think a wolf is evil, a horse is righteous, floods wicked, lightning perfidious. The hell wit' that. A horse is a horse, that's what I say. Now if you mind fixin' my dang wagon.

OOC: Engineering/Mechanic at neutral to fix it or Riding/Vehicle at -1. The wagon is heavy but between three ablebodied men no STR roll is required.

Showing the old man the tin star he'd been given by one of the deputies sent back to town, Malakai nods along at the old man's musings of how folk tend to blame the world for their own short comings.

"I reckin you've the right of things old timer. Why I've wandered this territory fer quite a spell now and sure enough it'll test a man. He mind, body and soul. But it's a fair test. For all the floods and lightning and wolves, you're surrounded by the beauty and wonder of the sun rising across the mesas and the smell of the spring sage. Fer one willin' to put in the labor this land can give just as much as it'll take." His jawing stops in order to help heave the wagon up and blocked so the wheel could be replaced. Once Mickey is satisfied things are set and safe enough, he mops the sweat from his brow and tosses a glance at the man's shot up canvas.

"As you said, its the evils of men that make us all poorer and shed blood fer no reason other than greed, lust, or power." He looks at the old man. "The men who did this, I reckin they're the same bunch we're huntin'. When we catch up to them, we mean to make 'em pay fer the evils they've gathered to themselves like flies swarmin' cattle. How many were there and which direction did they ride?"

Riding -1(10)

Name
Riding -1(10)
3d6 4,2,3

image.png.4900487bccd2d37c48e6965148ea141b.pngSloan "Sledgehand" Turlough pugilist

HP: 6/13 FP: 11/11

Sloan nods to the old man and his wife, flashing what passes as a smile. He slowly dismounts and gives a hand with the wagon but in the end, not being too much help at all.

OOC

roll vs Ridning -1 9

Edited by prophane (see edit history)
Name
roll vs Ridning -1 9
3d6 4,5,4

20 hours ago, Bobcloclimar said:

"Lemme take a look-see, ah reckon there might be sumthin' ah kin do fer ya."

Much obliged, much obliged, the old man pattered in a salesman's rapid cadence. He said it so quickly as to set the fact in stone and unchanging. But he was happy to say it.

The deputies heaved and hammered for some time and with effort expended the wagon was serviceable, enough to get to the next town at least Mickey judged. It was he who had offered the steady hand in re-rigging the wheel and ensuring all was true. Even a few of the holes in the canvas were patched as best they could manage it.

9 hours ago, DM-Tareth said:

How many were there and which direction did they ride?"

The old man grimaced again. This was a sore subject, but he bore up and answered,

They weren't riding no place matter of fact. Those lawless wretches, they've seized the entire ferry crossing. Boat, cables, and all. If you want to go over, it's a beating and all your valuables and that's if you're lucky. To the devil with that, I thought, I have seen a few miscreants in my time and I knew trouble - know it very well - when I see it. So I cracked the whip on these oxen, emptied these two chambers at the bandits, and made a run for it. Hah! They weren't expecting that. But they did let us go I think, not even a single rider set after me. Pftaah! I fought with Chamberlain on Little Round Top and I'll fight scum like that here or any place. And I got one of 'em pretty good. He'll be done for the count for awhile. Hah!

The old man spat into the dirt and patted the shotgun affectionately.

There were seven of 'em. Looked like they had very recently settled in, few days, tops. Maybe six now, serves him right. And if I can count, there are only three of you.

Name
shotgun vs bandits because why not vs 12
repeat(3d6,2) 3,2,2,6,6,4

"One less of them scoundrels surely makes the world a might better." Malakai says, an appreciative smile on his face for the old man's tale and keen-eyed shooting with that old scattergun. "But beware, we've tracked this band of Davey for a few days now, and another bunch split off heading toward their hideout. I reckin' it was a good thing Davey wasn't with this bunch at the ferry else they would've come after you and your missus fer sure."

He rubs his chin for a moment. "Seems to me, you've got a rough choice to make. Either head back outta this country or find someplace to hole up until we've a chance to clear out that nest o' vipers holdin' the ferry. Or even the odds a bit by throwing in with us." He face turns serious. "Frankly, I'd unnerstand if you just wanted to hightail it back yonder. But an extra gun would come in mighty handy."

The old man shakes his head. That bit of gallantry I'll confess it to be an aberration. When put to it, I'll fight by bloody tarnation I'll fight but I got a family now. The zenith of my heroism was reached in '63 and has since withered into ash. But when I felt the kick of this muzzleloader by the Almighty I sure did feel like a man again.

The old lady look sternly at him. But the missus has the right of it as she tends to do and now you got me admitting that. I'll tell you all I know about that encampment.

And the old man begins to draw in the dust, outlining what he had seen in the hardened drawl of a man who had seen violence unfold on a scale not seen for a decade in this country and perhaps even at this moment unfurling on the plains of Europe between men who spoke languages and wore clothes and followed ministers and politicians and kings of whom they had heard little at all

- a high cliff overlooks the crossing (roll mining/demolition/geology adjacent skillsfor more)

- the river ford is broad and shallow and the water is navigable for a good mile upstream and downstream of it. (roll something water vehicle relevant for more)

- all the gangsters as he could gather were on this side of the river. Maybe some would be on the ferry or elsewhere, maybe not.

- not much tree cover about, some bushes and shrubs about, pathetic clingers to life in this desolate place, he spat. Perhaps if they had asked the Yuma they would have given a different accounting, perhaps not, but the Yuma were far away.

- the bandits were heavily armed with pistols and rifles, but discipline seemed lax. Which you surmise is the truth of it given that this old man had lived to tell the tale.

- there was a clearing near the ferry where he had managed to turn about his wagon as he had shot his way out.

Gratefully sipping at the offered coffee, Malakai listens closely to the old man's description of the bandit setup. Various ideas come and go as he tries to piece together what the prospector was describing with his own knowledge of the land.

Naturalist (10)

OOC: If Prospecting is more appropriate, I have that at (9).

Name
Naturalist (10)
3d6 1,3,1

Mickey examines the old man's map with interest.

OOC

Rolling Explosives as a substitute for demolitions Edit: Misread my character sheet. His total skill is actually 13, so that should be a pass unless there's a malus.

Edited by Bobcloclimar (see edit history)
Name
Explosives (8)
3d6 4,4,4

The checks

From the old man's description of the encampment and the geology, limited as it was by the stresses of memory, the two of you have a meeting of minds and size up the ground you have to work with. The conclusion is that with the six sticks of dynamite you have (I just checked on Mickey's character sheet, could have more on someone else's maybe?) you can trigger a rockslide that would have a rather unpleasant effect on whomever was below. Probably wouldn't kill or maim everyone in the camp, but miracles do happen.

The challenge would be doing it unseen. Set explosives would also be fairly easy to spot in broad daylight. You would not need to roll to set the explosives unless you are doing something fancy given you already have two successes. You would need to roll stealth or something suitable for sneaking about to do it without getting spotted.

Timing

If you ride hard but not excessively so you can reach the encampment before twilight. If you wish to ride up by dark, sneak in by foot, etc. those are also options. I'll try to get a map together for this soonish.

Any more questions or things I've missed let me know.