OOC: Breeze shootin' and lollygaggin' go here

matt_s

- one thing I didn't really get across clearly is that at long range, GURPS combat has a cadence of

Round 1: Aim

Round 2: Fire

Round 3: Aim

Round 4: Fire

etc.

@RedMax

So Jellico fired a shot last round, he pretty much has to aim this round in order to hit basically anything. The 9 I think is a hit if he took the aim action (12+1+7-9 = 10 is greater than the 9 rolled) . I'll say he takes the aim action this round and carry forward the hit to next round.

@artsmythe same for you, i think it would be a miss even with aim but if it's a hit i'll let you use the existing roll next round instead.

Also, I need the two of you to each roll Dodge.

It's ok with me that things are a bit scuffed, honestly if we have a good time and collectively learn GURPS along the way I'm happy with the way things end up.

my read of it is that it's basically full GURPS just with a lot of detail cut out. For example, I'm not making people have their rifle skill while mounted be capped by ride, there's no explicit rules for rapid fire, etc.. If you use something from "full GURPS" there's a near certainty that it won't break anything.

and yes, prophane you are definitely encourage to chime in with advice and corrections for me or anyone else

@prophane i won't make you roll again until you seriously change up what you are doing or get close, otherwise given how long it will take to approach you failing is effectively guaranteed just from probability. you have one success, i'll let it ride until circumstances change.

12 hours ago, matt_s said:

- one thing I didn't really get across clearly is that at long range, GURPS combat has a cadence of

Round 1: Aim

Round 2: Fire

Round 3: Aim

Round 4: Fire

etc.

@RedMax

So Jellico fired a shot last round, he pretty much has to aim this round in order to hit basically anything. The 9 I think is a hit if he took the aim action (12+1+7-9 = 10 is greater than the 9 rolled) . I'll say he takes the aim action this round and carry forward the hit to next round.

@artsmythe same for you, i think it would be a miss even with aim but if it's a hit i'll let you use the existing roll next round instead.

Also, I need the two of you to each roll Dodge.

It's ok with me that things are a bit scuffed, honestly if we have a good time and collectively learn GURPS along the way I'm happy with the way things end up.

Thank you for the explanation. Sorry for not reading the rules more carefully in the GURPS Lite handout. Will try to follow the proper order of rounds.

As for rolling a Dodge check, I'm going to do that here.

Name
DODGE (8)
3d6 5,1,1

10 hours ago, artsmythe said:

Will try to follow the proper order of rounds.

there's technically nothing stopping you from just shooting every round but a miss is basically guaranteed at this range. I think of shooting with aim as basically hipfiring - pretty bad odds of a hit beyond spittin' distance.

3 hours ago, artsmythe said:

Maybe J.J. should just hightail it to the train? I think the range on his Spencer carbine is 300/2100.I'm assuming that's measured in feet. What do you all think?

It's range in yards. Pretty much everything in GURPS is yards. The first number is 1/2 Damage range, anything beyond that does (you guessed it) half damage. 2nd number is max damage. Can't shoot beyond that range.

On 11/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, artsmythe said:

Maybe J.J. should just hightail it to the train? I think the range on his Spencer carbine is 300/2100.I'm assuming that's measured in feet. What do you all think?

It's range in yards. Pretty much everything in GURPS is yards. The first number is 1/2 Damage range, anything beyond that does (you guessed it) half damage. 2nd number is max damage. Can't shoot beyond that range.

And typically the speed range table is for the targets speed, range, and size, not your own speed, though full on GURPS does make mention of "relative speed" sometimes which includes your own speed.

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

On 11/10/2023 at 3:30 PM, Cloudy Summers said:

My apologies for disappearing again. I tried to get back into this before things had really settled enough to do so. I will do my utmost to keep it from becoming a habit.

alright, write yourself again.

@Bobcloclimar

the train is to the bandit's back. Given you have been charging straight at the bandits for a few rounds on horseback, you'll have to backtrack significantly to break LOS.

yo, so things have kinda gotten a bit sluggish. I know that trading potshots with bandits isn't the most engaging in pbp, so let's think on ways to move things faster

- just fastforward until we close to pistol shot

- press on as normal

- consider "double turns" so people can aim and shoot in the same round, reducing delay between the action

thoughts?