Character Creation Q&A

Arklytte

Since Origins released half finished (I assume the other half is in Spheres of Guile...) there's mention of a "Extra Origin Talent feat" but no actual listing of it. 

Would it be safe to assume that such a feat would, like "Extra Combat Talent" or "Extra Magic Talent" be allowed to be taken multiple times? 

17 minutes ago, Valdimarian said:

Since Origins released half finished (I assume the other half is in Spheres of Guile...) there's mention of a "Extra Origin Talent feat" but no actual listing of it. 

Would it be safe to assume that such a feat would, like "Extra Combat Talent" or "Extra Magic Talent" be allowed to be taken multiple times? 

Extra Origin Talent

Benefit: You gain an additional origin talent.

Special: This feat may be selected multiple times. The effects stack.

7 minutes ago, Warlawk said:

Ok, so the feat does exist. 

But why was it put there? I'd have put it under General, or ideally waited until Spheres of Guile came out and revamped the site with a 4th Sphere Group entirely since there's several references to Guile in Origins, even though Guile isn't out yet. 

IIRC Ark ruled that for this game it just gives you a single, non-Phenomenal talent? I don't know if that means you get to trade up for Aux and Utility.

I suspect that the feat is just meant to allow any single talent, which feels wrong, except that Phenomenals seem to be like Advanced/Legendary, they aren't actually any better for the most part and frankly most of them aren't worth a feat. But then, under normal rules you don't get so generous a trade for Potent to Auxiliary or Utility.

4 hours ago, TheFred said:

IIRC Ark ruled that for this game it just gives you a single, non-Phenomenal talent? I don't know if that means you get to trade up for Aux and Utility.

I suspect that the feat is just meant to allow any single talent, which feels wrong, except that Phenomenals seem to be like Advanced/Legendary, they aren't actually any better for the most part and frankly most of them aren't worth a feat. But then, under normal rules you don't get so generous a trade for Potent to Auxiliary or Utility.

Phenomenal Talents are intended to be special cases, like legendary talents.  Not necessarily better, but something that the devs feel should warrant gm approval on use.  Not always because they are powerful, but often because they verge into the weird or ridiculous or they might negate certain assumed challenges, and therefore might not be desired in every campaign.

Yeah, exactly, like Advanced and Legendary talents.

I've found very few that I'd be willing to spend a feat on, frankly (of the decent ones, they all have prereqs - in this game some of those are cheaper so they become attractive again, but by base rules the one that just gives you a bonus feat seems like the best bet most of the time!).

What I hoped for is trading in an ordinary Potent for two more Aux and one more Utility; those for the most part looked more fun. But there's one or two Potents that might be worth trying.

5 hours ago, Duqueen said:

As I am starting on writing the fluff for sir Winston, how much time do we have left?

Deadline is tomorrow (Sunday), Midnight EST.  So, at the time of posting this, about 31.5 hours.  🙂

@Arklytte If I missed this question. Is Hunter's Renewal going to be SU or EX?

Second Question.
I am interested in having a custom magic item. Instead of arrows, I would like them to be spears or javelins.

Based on the 3.5 magic item Gloves of Endless Javelins (7,000 Gp) MIC.
and then the Quiver of Anariel.

A quiver of Anariel could be fashioned that produced basic arrows, masterwork arrows, or a range of magical arrows, at increasing costs:

• Regular arrows: 28,000 gp
  • Masterwork arrows: 29,000 gp
  • +1 arrows: 32,000 gp
  • +2 arrows: 44,000 gp
  • +3 arrows: 64,000 gp
  • +4 arrows: 92,000 gp
  • +5 arrows: 128,000 gp

They could also have heads formed from special materials for extra cost, including adamantine (+6000 gp), alchemical silver (+200 gp), or cold iron (+4005).

I would like to have +1 Adamantine javelins. The gloves already give a +1 to the javelins, but I don't mind adding or splitting the cost.

(Cost could be something like 7,000 + 32,000 (+1), +6000 (adamantine): 45,000 Gp.  ((7000 - 2000)(subtract +1) + 32,000 (has +1), + 6,000 (adamantine)) 43,000 Gp.
My character is pretty much self reliant, so he only would have the above and a Boulder Bag 3,000 Gp.

If I am outside the range of the anti-magic, I can draw and use them, and even if I throw the adamantine javelin and it enters an antimagic field, they would lose the +1 to damage, but still be adamantine.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)