Character Creation Q&A

Arklytte

Ok, I THINK I've got all the 'I'll add this to the rules when I have a moment' things added to the Creation Rules.

If you see something I missed, please let me know.

Tomorrow (well, later today, since it's now 3:30 AM), I'll be working on going through individual threads, which means that I may not be quick to respond to this thread if there are a lot of questions.

Again, I appreciate everyone's patience while I get caught up.  🙂

Thanks for the catch about Sparrow's Path. Also thanks for the advice about overspecialization. Overnight I did have the same thought - "hey, Arklytte isn't going to hit us with only beholders, let's not go overboard here."  I still like the idea of striker anyway, but maybe she'll have archery as a backup.

Somebody who likes spherecasters might want to think seriously about Steel Warrior's idea about Magic Sink.

What happens in an anti-magic field to things with extradimensional space, like Efficient Quiver and Handy Haversack and Bag of Holding? Do they spill their contents, or maybe they just become un-openable?

Note that the Antimagic Aegis only protects your enhancements and aegises, not anything else.  Still useful, but it's not a complete immunity to AMF, I don't think there are any ways to do that using just Spheres (and even if Vancian stuff were allowed the two ways I know to do it require being a higher level.)  There is that one Spheres item that blows up and negates AMFs, but I imagine you'd need a  heck of a lot of those over the course of the game!

Bags of Holding become unopenable, as would anything else that uses extradimensional spaces.  (This is defined, rather unhelpfully, only in the Dispel Magic spell, which suppresses magic items the same as an AMF does.)

Posting interest. Thinking of a technician//alchemist that uses the bounties he/she/it earns to pay for his inventions/damage due to failed experiments/bribes to the city council...

@ArklytteI have a few questions:

- do the animal companion and familiar from the Mechanical best friends technical insight fall under the no pre-game crafting rule? After all, they need to be made.

- If I can make them, do they fall under the origins-subordinates rule you mentioned in the character creation thread?

greetz

BC

Edited by Battlechaser (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Arklytte said:

Yeah...the Spheres magic item rules do leave something to be desired.  And while I appreciate your position, I'm still going to have to hold firm on the cash/oath point house rules.  I'll be happy to work with you on any custom Imbued Spells you want to put together, should you decide to go that route.

I think I’ve got them figured out, someone pointed out that I hadn’t taken advantage of the ability to take additional oaths so I could afford all the ones I wanted. (A Warp / Blink Imbued Spell and a Haste Imbued Spell do a lot of heavy lifting).
It is a bit annoying that with very few exceptions your Imbued Spell can’t make use of the extra scaling Complexity to add features once you have an ability you like. 

((also found a new complaint about Baldr: in the iOS Chrome browser trying to highlight text instead tries to select the MW background image… off to the complaints forum)) 

Edited by Valdimarian (see edit history)

Ok, this is funny but while building Sonja i've realized(yes, i noticied it now) that ghosts have no strength(its part of the incorporeal subtype) so i would be using 4 attributes , i'll use 2/3 of the attribute points( 93.3333 so 93 or 94 if we still round up) 

8 hours ago, dalamb said:

Thanks for the catch about Sparrow's Path. Also thanks for the advice about overspecialization. Overnight I did have the same thought - "hey, Arklytte isn't going to hit us with only beholders, let's not go overboard here."

I suspect the biggest problem will actually be not using only beholders, but beholders who AmF you whilst cyclopes hit you with big clubs.

For the most part, the AmF is possibly a red herring, and more just a "this will be smoother to play if you're prepared" thing. The beholders traditionally can't use eye rays whilst AmFing so it doesn't really do that much on its own, and it's also a cone rather than a typical field so people stood behind them can still blast them, hit them with magic weapons, etc.

I did spot the Antimagic Aegis which seems like a great way to keep your primary buffs as a gish-type. Other options I think include: standing/running/teleporting behind them to stay out of the cone (if you have non-magical swift/free movement you can move, then just use magic again) or attacking from >150ft away (doesn't necessarily let you hit them with magic because you can't cast it into the cone either, but you could keep flying and enjoying your defensive buffs or whatever whilst shooting arrows, say).

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

I don't want to upset anyone by bringing up the size thing from earlier - but what exactly ARE the stat changes for size changes in origins?  You state that those are the exception to the rule on no stat changes - so I'm guessing there are stat changes for spending the talents for being larger or smaller than small/medium. I'm just not sure what those changes are.  The reason I ask, is because origins, as far as i can tell, doesn't do so.  Small/Medium choice does not affect ability scores, neither does tremendous or miniscule.  I'm guessing the change you are suggesting is the same +2/-2 STR/DEX when going up in size that Alteration: Size Change has, and I'm assuming this is for any size beyond Small/Medium (for which there is no change).

Not entirely sure if it will matter for my character as i build him - just like to keep things clear in my head as I go.

Ark - I know that Extradimensional Room and Create Demiplane are effectively useless on the island, but what about Manifest Planar Zone?

Manifest Planar Zone basic info

Manifest Planar Zone (space) [DbH]

Prerequisites: Warp sphere, caster level 5th.

You may create an area which mimics the environment of another plane or demiplane of your choice, including one which you have created (chosen when you take this talent). The area lasts for as long as you concentrate (or one minute per caster level if you spend a spell point) and measures one 10-foot cube. You may increase the area by an additional 10-foot cube per 5 caster levels, arranged as you wish so long as the entire area is contiguous. The effects that can be mimicked are as follows (see Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Planar Adventures for rules on these traits). If an effect which is created within the area of this aura leaves the aura, it loses any modifications which it would possess as a result of being in the area.

It's not like I need this for my idea, but I am very curious because it's a funky talent to mess with LOL.  Also figured I should bring it up just in case it wasn't considered.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:13 PM, Arklytte said:

Size Change mechanics will work exactly as outlined in the Size Change Alteration Talent.

45 minutes ago, CraziFuzzy said:

I'm guessing the change you are suggesting is the same +2/-2 STR/DEX when going up in size that Alteration: Size Change has, and I'm assuming this is for any size beyond Small/Medium (for which there is no change).

Use the link in the first quote by the DM, will give you what all changes are, including changes to attribute points.

28 minutes ago, hiace50 said:

Use the link in the first quote by the DM, will give you what all changes are, including changes to attribute points.

Ha.. thanks - missed that one line of Ark's in the back and forth.

3 hours ago, TheFred said:

For the most part, the AmF is possibly a red herring, and more just a "this will be smoother to play if you're prepared" thing. The beholders traditionally can't use eye rays whilst AmFing so it doesn't really do that much on its own, and it's also a cone rather than a typical field so people stood behind them can still blast them, hit them with magic weapons, etc.

Who's to say Arklytte believes in being traditional?

But I take your point. I skimmed everybody's submissions and it looks like many of us are avoiding magic-heavy characters. I saw at least one Scholar but don't recall seeing someone investing in magical healing.

Alchemy

Formulae

Clarification: Additional damage dice in formulae for having multiple ranks in Craft (alchemy) are always treated as bonus damage dice and are not multiplied by Vital Strike or a critical hit. (Per discussion with a writer)

Trap

Dart

A dart trap is constructed of spring, twine, and usually a needle or other blade. A dart targets a line originating from one corner of one of the squares it occupies determined when it is set. This line extends out to Close range (25 ft. + 5 ft. per 2 ranks of Craft (traps) you possess) and stops after one creature is hit. When triggered, make a ranged attack roll against each creature in the line until one is hit. You may substitute your ranks in Craft (traps) + your Intelligence modifier for your base attack bonus + Dexterity modifier on this roll. The dart deals 1d6 piercing damage, increasing by 1d6 when your Craft (traps) ranks reach 3 and every 2 ranks thereafter, and has a critical threat range of 20 with a x3 multiplier. Some talents allow you to modify your darts. Each trap may only benefit from one (dart) talent. Some trap talents allow you to forgo dealing damage for benefits as defined in that talent.

You may forgo dart damage to expend an alchemical item (such as a tanglefoot bag), a thrown splash weapon (such as alchemist’s fire or acid flasks), or a dust (a potion containing a spell that affects an area) when making a dart trap to add the effects of that splash weapon to the dart. Resolve the attack versus touch AC. Items with an area of effect count their origin from the nearest corner of the struck creature’s space to the line of the dart’s effect.

You may apply injury poison to a dart as if it were a weapon after it has been set. While setting the trap, you may choose to forgo dart damage, instead expending a dose of a contact or inhaled poison as part of setting the trap. The dart then resolves its attack vs. touch AC. An inhaled poison fills its area as normal, centered on the struck creature’s square (or the first square targeted by the line, if the creature occupies more than one space).

So Alchemy (and many other spheres/effects in SoM) specifically limit the damage dice increases from being multiplied by Vital Strike. Should I assume that Trap sphere not having this is an oversight and we will be playing it the same way? Otherwise Vital Strike and the Improved version will each add +8d6 damage on top of the base for 24d6 at will damage that requires no investment or resources beyond the feats. That's a big chunk of free damage on something I was going to be doing a lot of the time anyways and that would increase to 32d6 when we hit level 16, scaling an additional 4d6 at 17 and 19.

I know that character balance tuning will be done after selection, I just want to know if I should invest in the Vital Strike line or not as it's not a great fit outside of this one application (Not weapon damage focused).

Edited by Warlawk (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Warlawk said:
Alchemy

Formulae

Clarification: Additional damage dice in formulae for having multiple ranks in Craft (alchemy) are always treated as bonus damage dice and are not multiplied by Vital Strike or a critical hit. (Per discussion with a writer)

Trap

Dart

A dart trap is constructed of spring, twine, and usually a needle or other blade. A dart targets a line originating from one corner of one of the squares it occupies determined when it is set. This line extends out to Close range (25 ft. + 5 ft. per 2 ranks of Craft (traps) you possess) and stops after one creature is hit. When triggered, make a ranged attack roll against each creature in the line until one is hit. You may substitute your ranks in Craft (traps) + your Intelligence modifier for your base attack bonus + Dexterity modifier on this roll. The dart deals 1d6 piercing damage, increasing by 1d6 when your Craft (traps) ranks reach 3 and every 2 ranks thereafter, and has a critical threat range of 20 with a x3 multiplier. Some talents allow you to modify your darts. Each trap may only benefit from one (dart) talent. Some trap talents allow you to forgo dealing damage for benefits as defined in that talent.

You may forgo dart damage to expend an alchemical item (such as a tanglefoot bag), a thrown splash weapon (such as alchemist’s fire or acid flasks), or a dust (a potion containing a spell that affects an area) when making a dart trap to add the effects of that splash weapon to the dart. Resolve the attack versus touch AC. Items with an area of effect count their origin from the nearest corner of the struck creature’s space to the line of the dart’s effect.

You may apply injury poison to a dart as if it were a weapon after it has been set. While setting the trap, you may choose to forgo dart damage, instead expending a dose of a contact or inhaled poison as part of setting the trap. The dart then resolves its attack vs. touch AC. An inhaled poison fills its area as normal, centered on the struck creature’s square (or the first square targeted by the line, if the creature occupies more than one space).

So Alchemy (and many other spheres/effects in SoM) specifically limit the damage dice increases from being multiplied by Vital Strike. Should I assume that Trap sphere not having this is an oversight and we will be playing it the same way? Otherwise Vital Strike and the Improved version will each add +8d6 damage on top of the base for 24d6 at will damage that requires no investment or resources beyond the feats. That's a big chunk of free damage on something I was going to be doing a lot of the time anyways and that would increase to 32d6 when we hit level 16, scaling an additional 4d6 at 17 and 19.

I know that character balance tuning will be done after selection, I just want to know if I should invest in the Vital Strike line or not as it's not a great fit outside of this one application (Not weapon damage focused).

I was curious, so I took a quick look at this. I can't see how you'd be triggering a dart trap as an attack action, which is necessary to use Vital Strike. Even if you attach it to a Deadly Shot as a [snipe] talent with Trap Launcher, it's still not an attack. Do I have that right? Vital Strike is very good with spheres generally, but perhaps not in this particular case.

25 minutes ago, dalamb said:

Who's to say Arklytte believes in being traditional?

But I take your point. I skimmed everybody's submissions and it looks like many of us are avoiding magic-heavy characters. I saw at least one Scholar but don't recall seeing someone investing in magical healing.

It's kind of an interesting challenge to make a super-powerful character who isn't very dependent on magic or supernatural effects, yeah. If it weren't for my Scholar having a familiar, I wouldn't be using any magic at all.

Arklytte has emphasized that they care more about fluff than mechanics, so it might be that once characters are chosen we would be allowed some jiggery as far as what things each of us can do. You know, just to make sure we don't overlap completely. But even if we're all Alchemy-sphere wielders it's not like that wouldn't stack.