Character Creation Q&A

Arklytte

2 hours ago, RedDingo said:

So with the Dice Tower Update, all Fieldset borders seem to disappear. WTF?

Title

Content

That is weird.  If you haven't already, say something over in the Site Feedback section.

That applies to everyone else for any other weird bugs that crop up - Baldr is a beta product, and the more we test it and give feedback, be it about how features feel or bugs or whatever it is, the better it will be in the long haul.  Hell, I recommend hitting up the MW discord and joining the beta test talk.  You can make a difference, even with zero coding experience.

Hi, loving what I have seen about the game and the character ideas so far. You might say I've had... my EYE on it?

That said, I'm not the best versed in Spheres, I've been flirting with it but haven't gotten to play it in a PbP yet.

I wanted to clarify, for the purposes of Creation creating an item and letting it fall, with the Precision Bombardment feat, would Imbued Strikes augment the attacks, even if the weapons or attacks (falling weapons or objects) were created at range? Similarly, as such feats typically require the attack to be "wielded", would Storm Gauntlets wrist bind damage take effect at range? Would the Hedgewitch Astrology Path Sun aura bonus damage take effect as the caster is in the aura?

Asking for a friend...

NGL, Great Mind wasn't even on my radar.  Never used it, never had someone use it.  I don't necessarily have an issue with its power level (though its definitely a fine example of Co7S and its inherent OPness), but pretty much its entire class ability catalog is aimed at bringing in Vancian spells/powers.  I don't mind dealing with a couple if a class gives them to you, but Great Mind is just too much. 

Sorry @Duqueen, but I'm going to have to say no to Great Mind.  I'll update the rules accordingly.

I'll work on answering questions if I have a moment or two tomorrow, but I'll probably be too busy.  I'll definitely pick things back up in Tuesday.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

here goes a curveball question:

does blindsight count as a mode of vision? 

"Eyes Of The Hawkguard

Descriptors: none
Class: Guru, Vizier
Slot: Headband or Body
Saving Throw: none

The archer lords of the far northern steppes were the first to manifest this potent Veil, using its power to spy enemies long before they could become a threat.

When a character chooses to shape this veil he extends the range of all of his modes of vision (normal, low-light, darkvision, etc.), and the range increment of any ranged weapon he wields by 10 feet.

Essence: For each point of essence invested in this ability, the character’s increase to their field of vision and weapon range expands by an additional 10 feet."

Also, what would be the range of Sightless Action (taken twice) to know the range of the blindsight phenomenal talent?

"Sightless Action [auxiliary]

An invisible attacker gets no advantages related to hitting you in melee. That is, you do not lose your Dexterity bonus to armor class, and the attacker does not get the usual +2 bonus for being invisible. The invisible attacker’s bonuses do still apply for ranged attacks, however. You do not need to attempt Acrobatics checks to move at full speed while blinded and do not take any penalties on Strength– or Dexterity-based checks due to blindness.

You may take this talent a second time. If you do, you can choose to take a -5 penalty on an attack roll against a target you have pinpointed to ignore any miss chance that they might possess from concealment. In addition, attackers you pinpoint get no advantages related to hitting you with ranged attacks, regardless of the range. That is, you do not lose your Dexterity bonus to armor class, and the attacker does not get the usual +2 bonus for being invisible.

Associated Feats: Blind-Fight, Blinded Blade Style (if taken once), Improved Blind-Fight, Greater Blind-Fight (if taken twice)."

"Blindsight [auxiliary]

Prerequisites: Aptitude sphere (Sightless Action [auxiliary]); Aptitude sphere (Blindsense (auxiliary, phenomenal)) or blindsense from another source.

Your blindsense changes to blindsight out to half the range of your blindsense. This talent may be taken multiple times. If you take this talent a second time, this blindsight increases out to the range of your blindsense. For each additional time you take this talent, your blindsight range increases by an additional 10 feet."

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

That's.. a poorly written piece of gear.  normal and low-light vision don't even have ranges to them.  Would have to leave it to Ark for a real decision, but to me, darkvision is the only thing on that example list it would apply to, which means there SHULD be others for it to still be a list, blindsight included I'd think.

For the second question?  you don't get blindsense from the sightless action talent - it comes from the blindsense talent - which starts off at 10 ft - or another source of blindsense.  The prerequisites are not one of the three.  You have to have Sightless action AND some form of blindsense to be able to take the blindsight talent.  The semi-colon is different than if it was a comma, and makes it not a part of the 'or' list.

7 minutes ago, dalamb said:

Does the enhancement bonus from being a masterwork weapon disappear in an antimagic field?

Yeah, that's a good question. I think the reasoning of why Masterwork is an enhancement bonus is when it gets enchanted by +1 damage, it doesn't become a +2/+1 weapon.
It def should still be +1 to hit in an antimagic field.

5 hours ago, Niblooey said:

Hey ah, how important is it to have a picture along with your character?

It's required , see the character creation rules, first page, under physical description

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

It's required , see the character creation rules, first page, under physical description

Crap, okay. Not sure how that slipped my memory, would've been a priority. Uh, guess my app should be considered withdrawn, in that case.

3 minutes ago, Niblooey said:

Crap, okay. Not sure how that slipped my memory, would've been a priority. Uh, guess my app should be considered withdrawn, in that case.

Maybe people could try to help you find something?

True, a trick i've used a few times when i couldnt find the right image for a character was to use two pictures, usually one portrait that work like a passport photo and a picture of the armored/masked character where you cant see the face.

Used it often for sci-fi games, picture in a space suit/armored suit+close up image of the face

That way you have both the general feel of the character(the full picture) and the image of his face.

edit. bonus points, if you use the image of a movie/videogame character you have the possibility to use alternative pictures during the game, once i did use the image of Autolycus(from Xena) for a rogue(or bard? cant remember) and well...my character base picture could have been something like this but change to this after a disguise check

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, dalamb said:

Maybe people could try to help you find something?

Maybe? Would rather not, though. I'm pretty good at trawling through pictures and finding stuff, the problem is I get ultra-specific about pictures to an unrealistic degree, so stuff that'd work perfectly often feels wrong somehow, even if I don't have strong visual image of the character before the picture. And if it feels wrong, I struggle to play because there's this weird friction between how I RP them and how I think they're being RPed like. Same issue also makes it rough for me to describe characters' traits in abstract instead of like, just portraying it through text, so like... better to avoid having the issue come to head.