Questions

Blaeringr

How do you feel about playtest content? I'm itching to give Exemplar a go.

For your reference see the playtest doc attached.

My preliminary background for this character is that the collective spirit fragments embodying the principle of "zest for life / opposition to death and undeath / protect the small and vulnerable / preserve life / CG Life domain" would generally not want themselves to be dead in the first place, and repeatedly embody in a small child with a big heart to, well, live again. And that this may occur again and again and again, until this principle has grown sufficiently in power and collective experience to become a True God (whatever that means).

The preliminary accompanying backstory for the character is pretty basic: a human boy born in to a poor family in a small farming village alongside a distant stretch of the Many Rivers. He grew from a small boy into a beefy young adult, who always tries to do the right thing and will always put his life on the line to protect other living beings. Subconsciously, this character does not really believe in the possibility of his death despite being fully mortal. As such, he is dramatically reckless and hotheaded. Think "Disney's young Hercules before being trained by Phil, but with DBZ Goku's appetite and (lack of) intellect." Just a big dumb himbo golden retriever of a guy.

Edited by daemonar (see edit history)

Quite interesting!

I have not yet played Pathfinder 2e, but recently finished reading the Core and Advanced Player's Guide. Are you ok with a beginner trying their hand at the game?

So, it is a game of exploration as people from different fantasy worlds had their cities/territories shifted to a new world? Politics between the disparate cities and the like?

@daemonarI don't hate the idea.

I am concerned about the exemplar not being finalized yet, although plenty things will change with the remaster rules.

For now, I guess I'll be reading up more on exemplars.

@daltar beginners are very welcome. There will be some politics going on, although these different cultures/lands are still quite new to each other with a good deal of distance between them. Much of the consequences of these disparate peoples meeting will first be felt in the colonial settlements.

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

Just want to clarify something for my characters backstory, so I can fit it into the lore better.

I see that Carisport is 9% dwarf, which was founded by an aristocrat formerly of Veda. Veda’s only ancestries are human and Halfling. Where are the dwarven immigrants coming from, and what was their world like prior to coming to the New World?

If there are no ideas, I certainly have a few, but I don’t want to step on your toes.

Do you have a preference when it comes to character management? I'm big on using Pathbuilder for that (since I'm not actively using my HeroLab Online account right now, hate having to buy everything over again, same reason why I'm not keen on using Nexus). Are you planning to use the online sheets?   I reread the applications guidelines, asked and answered, counselor...

As for what I'm considering... well... I'm not quite sure on using any divine-based classes, might stick to some more down-to-earth options, like Ranger, Rogue, Wizard... something more akin to exploration and such. Though I may wait to see what some of the other submission ideas are.

Does the character have to be someone who's born and raised in one of the towns, or can it be someone who's "fresh off the boat" and looking for opportunities?

Edited by TheDude2371 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, ArtemisP said:

Just want to clarify something for my characters backstory, so I can fit it into the lore better.

I see that Carisport is 9% dwarf, which was founded by an aristocrat formerly of Veda. Veda’s only ancestries are human and Halfling. Where are the dwarven immigrants coming from, and what was their world like prior to coming to the New World?

If there are no ideas, I certainly have a few, but I don’t want to step on your toes.

The main dwarven clandom (with some gnomes, and a few others in small numbers) will be Kol Garom. It's a mountain kingdom that spans a couple mountains, mostly below ground. Kol Garom ended up on the continent of Orona itself, a bit North East of the colonies. It's a fairly self contained clandom, if you're satisfied with the basics.

I'll be gradually updating setting info over the next month.

Yo're more tha welcome to provide your own ideas though.

@Eagleheart very much, yes!

I'm curious how the remaster changes to dragons will affect kobold culture.

Did these kobolds end up on the main land in some series of caverns? Their own little island? An underwater cave network?

@TheDude2371 take your time.

Fresh of the boat is fine. Or from a nearby town or village too. Will your character be old enough to remember their old world from 20 years ago, or too young for that?

I also have a few ideas for some characters. One was also an Exemplar. A tengu with a katana aiming to master his blade and style and then return it to his home. That said, there are a number of other classes that could fit that bill. Fighter, barbarian, cleric, champ, swash and battle oracle all would work with varying abilities. My other thought is something like a Thaumaturge Viking of sorts with a never ending horn of mead.

I love the idea of the trapped / tricked Trickster, someone who wound up here and in their current circumstances through being much too confident in their own guile. Trickster put me to mind of Kitsune , if you'd allow it? I'd use one of the human-alt-form heritages, so in most scenarios they'd read as human so as not to throw off the general vibe. I'm thinking of an Air kineticist for that "buffeted by the winds of fate" theming (maybe later taking Wood as he 'puts down roots,' as it were).

The thrown through spacetime feel of the setting also made me curious if you might be open to the Chronoskimmer archetype. Essentially, the idea would be that our little fox tricked his way into access to what he thought was a big magical score. Instead, he was duped into springing a trap that sucked him up and tossed him through time and space until he landed on Orona. His own magically-malleable form wound up absorbing / tethered to the gate that threw him here.

I think that all does a decent job of blending the world concept with both class and archetype, but I'm not married to either Kitsune or Chronoskimmer if one or both feels out of place.

@jkason kitsune is fine. Chronoskimmer, I don't see a problem with that archetype. I'd like to see you develop the backstory for that a bit more. What's this other world like that he's from? Are there people there trying to find him? Was the owner of the time artifact someone close to him? Or do they now view him as a problem or an enemy who took something precious?

@bduds2006 a kiropractor? Hehehe