Book 2: Chapter 2 - What Lies Beyond

Powderhorn

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon frowned as he got back up.

"Could be as many as 5 sets of tracks that are not halflings. Greta, do you know by chance, how large your patrols tend to be? I fear these may be Maliente as the dog faced creatures are very small and the pig faced ones much bigger."

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingGreta watches over Karadoon's shoulder as he inspects the tracks.

"How are you able to determine the number and type of foot-marks, Karadoon?"

To his question she answers: "Our patrols are not large. That is how we have remained hidden. The soldiers work in small groups, act swiftly, and escape before they can be counter-attacked."

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon looked about for a moment before pointing out some tracks not muddied by having other tracks over-layed upon them.

"A couple of things work in my favor here. Iphigenia, myself, and you all represent our different races. I can compare tracks I know are mine to yours and Iphigenia. While our foot sizes are somewhat similar, the depth of my boot is much deeper than either of you. All of us are provisioned for a journey, so I can rule out differences in gear. That leaves muscle and bone. I seen the other races up close and personal. Them pig faces are tall as a tall human and at least as well muscled. These tracks here, while similar in size to me and Iphegenia are bit less deep. But deeper than yours. That makes them most likely the Maliente. Who are taller than you, but not as heavily built as dwarves and humans.

It's guess work, that much is true, but I do have some observations of the other races which help me rule out some things. No way it's dog faces. No way it's pig faces. Heavier depths than yours. So it just sort of leaves the Maliente as they most likely.

Let us hope your folk were able to execute their battle plan. Unless there are more questions we should continue on."

Foothills, Spring, Day 51 - Late Afternoon

spacer.png

The rest of the day passes similarly - finding tracks here and there, ensuring you're still on the correct path, and following on. While the hills and mountains in the distance appeared closer at first, it quickly becomes apparent that was just a forced perspective - the group does not begin actually getting into any sort of hilly terrain until the very end of the day. The mountains, in turn, are huge compared to Karadoon's experience, many times taller than the Ironridge Mountains of home. Thinking on it, it makes sense - Kelmar is, in effect, a large island - and it is clear now that you are truly in a continent - though you may not even have such a word.

However, night is beginning to fall, and the wind still cuts through this valley with its howling. Establishing shelter for the evening will be tricky, but required.

Greta Starling

Greta Starling"This wind has no mercy!" says Greta, clutching her long coat close to her body. "And it is presently becoming dark."

She peers skyward, a hint of a frown appearing on her face. After muttering something to herself in Halfling she continues, "I have never been not-under the trees before. It feels like...like nakedness."

"And we have no soldiers with us," she adds. "Who will protect us if we become attacked?"

spacer.png"Regrettably, not a soul." answered Iphigenia with a smile. The wind was getting to her too, but there was no point in complaining about it, and it was important that their morale stay high. "Which is why we mustn't be seen, ideally. Luckily, the wind is too strong, which removes the temptation of starting a campfire." she added, trying to find some silver lining in all of this.

"But come. We must find a place to rest, and I reckon we have a better chance in twilight rather than starlight. Can anyone see anything?"

She halted for a moment and scanned her surroundings carefully, and tried to recall her geography lessons. Her education was as good as one could hope for in Kelmar, but would it be of any use in this strange and foreign land?

OOC

In the interests of expediency, I'll make a Know + INT check below, to see if her geography is at all helpful here. Depending on the outcome, I may or may not follow up with some observation actions, but I'll try to not get ahead of myself.

Name
Know + INT
2d6+2 4,6

Dungeon Master

Iphigenia's geographic knowledge is indeed useful here - as a sailor, she already knows of underseas peaks. While Kelmar is an island, and the further flung waters are deep indeed, it was never a far leap for sailors to assume that Kelmar was merely the tip of an undersea mountain, with other shoals near the island being other such mountains. Here, the whole mountains are above ground, imposing their mass on the horizon.

For shelter, Iphigenia can tell that the ground here is soft, and would likely be amenable to some shovel work to dig a campsite and at least get out of the wind, which steals away body heat.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon listened to Iphigenia's advice. It was sound.

"Indeed, we should begin the search now for shelter. We should pick soil near a large outcropping which has some broadness to it. If it rains, the water will wash around the outcropping. It will pool back towards it, but the base of the outcropping itself with few berms made from the soil we dig should stay free of flooding at least.

Greta, we will need an additional layer of protection. While the wind is our worst enemy, the soil will not be our friend. In it's own right, being so cold it will sap heat from us. While Iphigenia and I pick a spot and start digging, you will need to find every tall weed, tree branch, or bundle of flowers to be had without wandering out of sight of us. We will make a sleeping mat as thick as possible to lay between the earth and our blankets.

There is a final trick my people have used when caught in the mountains by a sudden storm. It is normally only used when we are truly at risk.

We can triple the amount of insulation we each have by sleeping on one large mat rather than digging three individual mats. We will each benefit from all the blankets held by the group as well as shared body heat. If you both are amenable to the arrangement, Greta, as the least experienced with the outdoors should sleep between Iphigenia and myself to benefit the most from the group.

We should probably mount a guard as well. I will take the first and last watches. I recommend our guard not break from the blankets or we might lose them to the cold. It will have to be enough just to have one of us awake at all times."

spacer.png"Well, my dear dwarf," Iphigenia begun, "...I hope that either you or Greta did not forget to bring a shovel, because I certainly haven't got one with me!"

She looked at the two of them, trying to understand if she was the only one that had thought of this little detail, or if they had, in fact, considered it and had come prepared-which would prove a big relief.

"My tutors always said that dwarves were masters of mining and digging... and though he didn't mention any details, I would venture a guess he did not mean digging with their bare hands."

OOC

So Iphigenia has the Gentry Wayfarer equipment pack-no shovel in it, I think? In another game I wouldn't make much of this, but WWN/OSR games make a big deal of the equipment and the details of it, right?

In any case, I'll roll Survival as Instructed in the OOC thread. Iphigenia has no ranks (-1) and +1 INT, so they kind of cancel out.

Name
Survive + INT
2d6 5,6

Greta Starling

Greta Starling

"I have no shovel, but I will find the materials for the sleeping mat," Greta says plainly.

She spends a good deal of time going back and forth between the site and the periphery of the camp, each time returning with an armful of vegetation. With each trip she lays her bundle gently on the ground, and spends a good deal of time making the heap neat and tidy.

Once, she attempted to drag a branch back, but the effort proved too much for the halfling, and she returned to the leafy vegetation that was easier to remove and retrieve. By the time she's finished there is a heap of vegetation almost as tall as her, much of it flowers and some sort of fragrant mountain herb.

Still catching her breath, she approaches the trench, where Karadoon is still digging. "Karadoon," she asks, "What do we do if we see danger, when guarding the camp?"

Dungeon Master

Though a plan for contact has yet to be made, the shelter of the evening is surprisingly robust - if a bit shallow. Proper tools would have made short work of a hole in this relatively soft ground, but even still, hands and adapted rocks were enough to scrape out a small depression in the ground - enough to keep the warmth in and the wind out.

The mat of leaves and flowers is surprising in how soft and warm it is - a good nights rest, so long as it is undisturbed, seems a likely prospect.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon blushed at having left a shovel behind. He quickly produced his climbing pick which was adept at dislodging larger stones

"Indeed, we had all thought to simply be aboard the boat. An oversight that I will rectify soon.

Greta, if you think you see a danger, stay very quiet and shake the two of us awake gently. If we are indeed at risk, best to let them think we sleep. Point to the danger once we wake.

If the enemy is clearly advancing with weapons drawn, shout, jump up, and draw your weapon.

Does that make sense?"

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon produced his climbing pick.

"Your village is so peaceful, even with the Maliente that you have never trained with a weapon? Truly your village is a marvel.

Take this pick. Swing it like you would a hammer. Aim for the head or the chest."