Book 2: Chapter 2 - What Lies Beyond

Powderhorn

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon chewed over Iphigenia's findings for a moment.

"I believe this forces our hand either way. If it is the patrol, we need to meet with them. More likely, it is their pursuers. But Fennel was very clear, it is the secrecy of your existence that saves you. We cannot allow that patrol to return with tidings of your patrol.

Unless either of you see another option we will have to go to the fort. A daylight approach seems prudent to me, if those that should be dead are active at night. What say you two?"

spacer.pngReturning the spyglass to its rightful owner, Iphigenia falls silent as she listens to Karadoon's suggestions, but she retains a skeptical outlook regarding the recommendations.

"Is that truly prudent, master Karadoon? I understand your concern, yet I would hardly call it wise to rush headlong into such grave peril without the slightest inkling about the situation up there! May I remind you that there are only three of us, and though I cannot yet discern their numbers, it is very likely that theirs will be greater."

She pauses thoughtfully for a moment, trying to think of a better alternative. To her mind, it is obvious. "Stealth and secrecy are our greatest assets. You are concerned, and rightly so: but in this case we must for a while observe, and learn all that we must, before attempting anything foolish. No?"

She falls silent again, and thinks deeply, searching her memory for any information that could prove valuable in their present predicament.

OOC

I will roll Knowledge + INT below to see what Iphigenia knows about the undead: for example, do they only come out at night? If yes, she can cross off that possibility from the list.

Given that halflings are much shorter than the Maliente or humans, would it be possible with continued observation from afar to see if those up on the hill are likely halflings or another humanoid species? Would she need to get closer, or spend more time with the spyglass?

Name
Know
2d6+2 5,5

Dungeon Master

While Kelmar doesn't really have any stories of undead that have any more merit than bedtime stories to scare children, in this land stories from sailors and others who have gone on various expeditions have more gravitas to them. Indeed, if Iphigenia were to look for a common thread, it would be that they only seem to be in dark places.

Regarding discerning more about those moving up the hill - more time is one option, less distance is another - both can potentially tell you more about them.

Karadoon
spacer.png

Karadoon nodded at Iphigenia. She made valid points. Taking up his glass he began to the study the hills and saddles between them and the fort. He wanted to find an approach which would be masked by an intervening hill, but still gain them enough distance and elevation to improve their view. Ideally, something with stone outcroppings or some other feature to mask their presence.

"There is wisdom in approaching this place slowly. Let us study the surrounding hills for a minute."

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)
Name
Notice to find a stealthy path
2d6+1 3,5

Dungeon Master

Stealth may be a generous term - but it seems possible to essentially lay relatively low, move slowly, and creep up. Whomever is moving up the hill isn't looking in your direction, and is far enough away to need a spyglass to even pick out.

Stealth is the art remaining unnoticed, not necessarily being invisible. As it applies here, it's all about angles. There is a decent sized mountain where I live. On a clear night I can see the blinking warning lights on the wind farm that's easily 30 miles away.

They look just like you would expect brake lights to look on the freeway that is only 6 miles away. But, a low ridge masks the freeway completely. I've had several lost hikers tell our dispatcher that they are right next to the freeway. It fooled me the first time.

That being said, I take it Karadoon is good to narrate a creeping up/movement scene then?

Karadoon
spacer.png

Karadoon spent 20 minutes observing the hill fort for any sign of sentries. Seeing none, he laid his plan out.

"This low hill to our front butts up against a larger hill that should afford us a better view of the fort.

If they are watching for pursuers they will watch this track we have been following. We will move off the track and navigate around the base of this low hill. Cover up anything shiny. I will keep my glass cased.

When come round the base the other hill should block us from view and we can move along the bottom between the two. We will align ourselves behind the next hill while we walk to its crest.

At the crest we will go to ground and ascend the last few yards on our stomachs. If walk across the crest to the summit we will risk our silhouettes giving us away. We will move in a single file line until we go to ground at the crest. I can lead the way if Iphigenia is uncomfortable with leading the climb. I don't anticipate there being any cliffs to climb, but you never know.

What say you?"

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)

Greta Starling

Greta Starling

Greta pensively rubs the fabric of her dress between her thumb and forefinger. "I do believe I have many things to learn about adventuring. If we are to crawl on our stomachs, I have fear my dress will not fare well. But I can always make a new one."

She looks up at Iphigenia and Karadoon. "You will have need to instruct me with every little thing. I am a merchant, a collector, a lover of language and the ways of people. I have never been a patroller, or a stomach-crawler, or a footprint-seeker. But I am happy to learn if you will teach me these things."

She shifts Karadoon's pick in her hands, obviously uncomfortable with its bulk and heft. Then she looks back up at the hilltop. "But now is not the time. I know this. And so I will try my most right now, and I will follow your teachings with every footstep."

spacer.pngIphigenia listened and considered the budding plan for a moment. She was skeptical, but skepticism was easy, and there was a chance they'd be able to learn something here... but at what risk, and at what cost?

At length she broke her silence and revealed her thoughts plainly.

"If we go, I expect the Maliente. Given the recent tracks, whoever is up the hill is unlikely to be a halfling straggler from the patrol. It cannot be the dead, as the dead only come at night, at least according to the legends... so that leaves only the dark elves. And if they outnumber us, this plan bodes ill."

She paused for a while, thinking for a while before she could continue.

"Still... this is as close we've come to a chance to learn of what might have happened to the patrol as any we've encountered over the last few days. I will come with you, Karadoon, if you think you are so skilled with stealth as to make our approach invisible to enemy eyes. But-" (and here she paused, for emphasis) "-if we find enemies, we stand no chance to intercept them unless we outnumber them. I think we could only outnumber one lone sentry, maybe two at best.

So: promise me that you will not do anything rash. None of us here are warriors-not to my knowledge, at least."

OOC

TL; DR Iphigenia can come but she's not capable of leading this (no training in Stealth) and wants a quick assurance that we're not about to do anything stupid like try to take out a sizeable enemy patrol (as our numbers are few and none of us seems that trained a warrior).

Otherwise happy to let Karadoon take the lead here. Trying to strike a good compromise between being a team player and not doing anything uncharacteristically foolhardy (and hopefully I can manage that).

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"My intention is to get no closer than the next hilltop. If they do sally out we should have plenty of warning as they head down their hill, cross the bottom, and then move up to us.

Greta, we may not be able to repair significant clothing damage until we return to town. When we crest the hill, stay at the crest and watch the way we came. If anything is following us shout a warning and we will return. We won't be far from you."

Foothills, Spring, Day 52 - Noon

spacer.png

It is slow going the sneaky way - but speed is always the price of stealth. Getting into position, seemingly unnoticed, the group is just in time to see with their spyglass half a dozen Maliente following a trail of their own, presumably one left by the halflings, right into the fort.

The dark elves go inside, and quickly disappear from view behind its earthen walls.

spacer.pngIphigenia crouched-even with the distance, and with the walls shielding them from her (and her from them), she did not want to take any chances. When she spoke she did so in a whisper-it was unnecessary, of course, but it lent unexpected gravitas to her words, which would seem dire.

"It is as I feared. And they outnumber us-two to one at least."

She turned towards Greta.

"The tracks lead there. If the halfling patrol is within... what would you have us do? These are your kin, your peoples: you deserve to have the greater say in the matter. But action will not be without risk of peril."

Greta Starling

Greta Starling

"I believe Fennel's wish was for us to be as a shadow to them Maliente soldiers, to learn more about them and their doings, and to bring him that information. Therefore, even if we had a party of ten soldiers, it might be best to return to him with this information--once we have obtained enough of it to be of strategic value, that is. Fennel can then make certain that this band of elves is ambushed by proper soldiers, and destroyed.

"If he is able," Greta adds, "I am certain he will also make great efforts to protect the lives of the halfling patrol."