OOC Discussion

Blaeringr

Posted (edited)

Item bonuses won't stack with the automatic progression bonus, no. So if you take your ABP bonus at level 3 to medicine, then there's no point in buying the more advanced healer's kits because you're getting that bonus already for free.

If you're using pathbuilder to make your character, it calls the bonus type a potency bonus, which is technically an item bonus. Three types of bonuses you can add: circumstance, item, and status. They stack with each other but not with themselves.

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

the bonus on skill is a potency bonus and your healing tools give an equipment bonus, so they stack. The bonus we get on our weapon is also a potency bonus, as is a fundamental rune, so they don't stack.

Posted (edited)

"This variant removes the item bonus to rolls and DCs usually provided by magic items (with the exception of armor’s item bonus) and replaces it with a new kind of bonus—potency—to reflect a character’s innate ability. In this variant, magic items, if they exist at all, can provide unique special abilities rather than numerical increases" -GM Core pg 83

If you're using potency bonuses, it replaces item bonuses for that situation. So they don't stack because the advanced healer's kit's bonus doesn't exist under the ABP system.

I don't know, but it is an item bonus. The rule I cited above says the ABP system "removes the item bonus to rolls and DCs usually provided by magic items" so it doesn't only remove the item bonuses provided by magic items, but non-magical as well.

Okay. Sounds like I'm grabbing some basic toolkits, putting money toward horse and cart, and then looking at alchemy recipes. What's the rule on recipe availability? Commons yes, rares no, uncommons maybe?

Posted (edited)

Ya. Aside from common recipes though, give me a wishlist for uncommon, and especially for rares.

With an alchemist's lab (5 gp, no need for the expanded lab) you'll be able to craft in the wagon on the road. If Kek and Maybell ride the wagon, no need for horses just for those two. In such a setup, either maybell or Kek would have to steer the horses pulling it (the two you guys bought back in Merrow) while the other rides (and crafts?) or a third person would have to steer for them.

It's a bit unfortunate that I don't have the Message cantrip. Maybe this guy isn't so bad, but Rex sounds like someone who definitely needs to die... but Flick isn't gonna say that within earshot of this guy. xp

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

62.60g starting

15.00g - Bag of Holding
8.00g - Riding Horse
0.60g - group Cart

5.00g alchemist's lab

2.00g repair kit

Crafting recipes L1 - 1g each

Merciful Balm

Nectar of Purification

Potion of Emergency Escape

Healing Potion Minor

Bloodeye Coffee

Crafting recipes L2 - 2g each

Bubbling Scale

Antivenom Potion

Oil of Mending

Ember Dust

Crafting recipes L3 - 3g each

Potion of Water Breathing

Lesser Healing Potion

Steelscour

Theatrical Mutagen

Journeybread

Bottled Lightning

Recipes are a wishlist for now. Bold items are top priority.