Character Creation Questions

Maester1216

I'm a little fuzzy regarding Archetypes. Do we have to announce our decision at this stage or can we decide later? I've played a few STARFINDER games PbP before and none of them ever got to the point where choosing an Archetype was important. I rather imagined that choosing an Archetype would be more the result of how the story progresses.

Now as to the Free Archetype rule, does that mean we can simply continue following the standard Class' progression plus enjoy the benefits of this Free Archetype? Can we choose another Archetype as per the core rulebook plus enjoy the benefits of this Free Archetype? Is it the same if we decide to go Multiclas, instead?

As for myself, Fixer, Free Trader, Hacktivist, Phrenic Adept, and Starfinder Data Jockey all seem equally attractive for my character.

At its most basic, the Free Archetype rule lets you take an Archetype without having to swap out class features. You can take a second Archetype, however rules as written in the corebook would apply.

And no, you don’t have to set your Archetype in stone right now. Especially if an Archetype you want doesn’t gain its feature until a later level. Never hurts to have some general ideas in place of course.