Discussion

Cointhief

Well, for some meta explanation, in this case the module ties it to your team's final score. Being able to 'do it right the first time' gets a bonus. It isn't something you have to do, generally, when spelljamming. I will also be rolling for Team 2 (Veena's team). This along with most other checks during the sim are basically just a way to compare you guys.

...And thanks for appreciating Zibbles. I've always thought the space clowns/Clownspace from the old spelljammer were literally the dumbest things in the entire DnD universe. I am very sure someone had a thing for the 80s movie 'Killer Clowns from Outer Space'. Just as a self-challenge to have them in the game somehow I tried to think of a character idea for one. Addictive Thrill Joy made from demonic ichor and bozo flower is the actual explanation for space clowns from DnD lore, so I thought it might be interesting to play one like a recovering heroin addict. :)

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

Yeah, also its not just turning it on, but taking off and reaching orbit around Toril (coming soon to a gameplay post near you, when I'm off work).

Not saying everything will always make sense though, hehe. I am mostly just running the modules as they are without any thought. I am only making slight changes to fit better with the main spelljammer campaign if we ever get that far.

Yep, excited to see what happens...ship blowing up is a possibility here.

Btw, that Realmspace chart is not present in the 3-book 5e Spelljammer set. It is only found in these Academy modules. I feel like the whole thief stealing chart plot is a tongue in cheek reference to some publishing decision to move it over. Lots of people were unhappy it wasn't in the 3-book set and probably never saw it, essentially Academy 'stole' it. XD

For future reference, you technically can only ram gargantuan sized creatures (and any sized objects). Had Celsior's order been heard though, I would've let it happen since Laz rolled high. The ram does 16d10 blunt. The ship takes half that damage so its not a 'horrible' idea persay, and it would've had a good chance of killing the 66 hp Murder Comet. For fun let's see what it would have done:

83 so Murder Comet would have dropped to zero and ship would have taken light damage (roughly 10% its max). But then the Murder Comet has an ability to explode at zero hp for 8d6.

27 fire or dex save for half in a 20 ft radius would've probably dropped some crew.

Name
Blunt Ram
16d10 4,5,2,6,1,1,4,1,9,6,6,9,3,9,8,9
Murder Comet explode
8d6 3,3,4,4,1,1,6,5

I've always thought Inspiration is like Lucky feat and you have to roll it before knowing outcome. In other words only a 2d20 roll should count. I've never, ever played that way though on any Paizo or home games, and even 5e video games like BG3 don't implement it that way. Making it further awkward here is that its a skill challenge and not a single roll.

So I guess go ahead. Still lots of action ahead so you might regret using it anyways. ;)