Discussion

Cointhief

I've no idea if my way of 'boarding' the other ship can work or not (or if she can actually help the other crew), but figure it is a reasonable use of the plasmoid's ooze-like shapeshifting ability. Totally DM's (and Captain's) call. At least it is only a simulation so if Yahs does end up splattered all over the side of the other ship it isn't permanent. :)

And Happy New Year all.

Edited by DM-Tareth (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Yay, some good stuff here. :)

Spelljamming ships have an air envelope equal to their keel length in all directions. In the case of these Hammerheads, that's 250 ft. So, that would be close to maxing the fall distance damage (20d6) we are talking about assuming you closed to mangonel range without any flying squirrel stuff added. As far as shapeshifting into a flat sheet to grant featherfall, I'd say it would certainly would require an Acrobatics check. Instead of duplicating Feather Fall, I would say it gives resistance to fall damage and negates a certain portion of the fall damage based on the check result.

However, there are perhaps better options that a cunning cadet might realize.

1. Gravity planes are similar to the surface of an ocean, but with no splash contact. When something hits the plane, they fall 'up' on the other side, stop like a ball thrown upwards and come back down towards the plane. So, if you were fired into the opponent ship's plane you would oscillate back and forth with no real damage possible (other than being dizzy maybe). The flat plane form would dampen such oscillations.

2. One other interesting point in this scenario, the other ship has less hp than you do. By the rules that means, should you choose to merge gravity planes (by closing distance) you get to control which direction is 'up'. ;) In other words, if you hovered your g-plane above the opponent ship's deck, you could choose to have objects fall towards you (effectively negating the opponent ship's plane). Gravity planes have the same dimensions as air envelopes, bisecting the ship.

Other wacky stuff beyond my current imagination is probably possible as well, such as coordinating Lazuli's ship movements and g-plane control with Yahs trajectory somehow.

Celsior: You don't know the parameters of the officer scoring system. I suppose you could roll Insight for a hint at Tarto's motives as an instructor.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Air shouldn't be an issue, since Plasmoids can hold their breath for an hour (by taking a big bubble of air with them), but being launched by siege weapons at the ship seems like it would do at least as much damage as being hit by the siege weapon. Just tossing her across seems like a better idea. I don't suppose the ship has any boarding planks or anything, and Lazuli left her grappling hook and rope back in her chest, but someone else might have one. Or, we could just leave.

I am guessing, OOC, that the friendly opponent crewman (his name escapes me) is important, somehow, but that is just meta and based on the fact that it was suggested we could make him feel better at breakfast.

Getting close and having someone jump across should be possible, though, isn't that how people normally board enemy ships? Or we could have the crew of the other ship jump to us, since theirs seems disabled.

Is the other ship currently on fire? Or are there still big lightning arcs that could hurt our ship?

Oh, Miken is his name. Just looked at the other thread. So, the other ship is currently on fire, and has blue electricity, but since some of the crew is alive... I am guessing we could approach.

As far as breathing, yes that wouldn't be an issue. The air envelopes would be merged in this case at non-disadvantage range, and even if that werent the case it would be much less than the time to suffocate or anything. I mentioned air envelopes because air resistance.

The electric arcs spiderwalking their hull wouldn't hurt your ship unless you came into contact, you guess. But the electrical surge is audibly building intensity, and might completely detonate (like a warp core breach in star trek).

Sounds like using the mangonel would be less than ideal. :)

But if we are coming about anyway, then it should be easy enough to swing across on one of the rigging lines. Or if we want to maintain a little distance, we could come over the top and drop lines to the stern or forecastle (wherever the survivors are) and they could then climb up. We should have plenty of rope aboard to drop two or three lines at once to limit the amount of time holding in position if the other ship is ready to explode.

If you just come over the top its fine. For gravity planes to collapse you have to be touching. The rule is that the ship with the highest hp decides which gravity plane to use. That would be you guys in this case.

Overlapping Gravity Planes

When gravity planes intersect, such as when two ships pass close to each other and at different angles, the gravity planes of both ships remain in effect until the two ships touch one other (as often happens when they collide or when one ship lands on the other). If that happens, the gravity plane of the ship that has more hit points remaining (regardless of the ships’ actual dimensions) overrides the other ship’s gravity plane, suppressing it as long as the ships remain in contact, and the first ship’s definition of “up” becomes the other ship’s as well.

Or as Tareth suggested dropping lines would also work.