Orientation (Part 1)

Cointhief

Lazuli Lazali Lulura, AKA SquishySlimeGirl.jpg.be6391fa65f486754161b2eadaffc135.jpg

AC 17 | HP 11/11 | HD 1/1 | Inspiration Yes | P.Perception 15

Saves: Str -1 | Dex +3 | Con +1 | Int +2 | Wis +5 | Cha +0

Resistances: Acid and Poison

Lazuli continued laughing all the way to the Sky Dock. "Brrrrrrrrip! Eh, you probably can't hear the difference, with your tiny little ear holes. No echo chamber to speak of. I guess it isn't fair to laugh, but really."

Once at the Sky Dock, when the guards stopped them, her 'head' simply disappeared into her body, and re-emerged with her helmet perched on top. In her favorite color. Floating inside her 'head' was the roll of standard-issue, single-ply toilet paper, for some reason. It spun gently in her inner fluids.

During the lecture, she quickly got bored, which is probably why she noticed the exchange between the hobgoblin security officer and the ship officer. She didn't pay much attention, except to note the likely exchange rate for bribes; on her old ship, the officers had always handled bribing customs officials, so she had little experience with that branch of larceny.

Instead, she mused about who probably won the earlier Spelljammer contest. I kind of hope that Celsior won, she thought to herself. He needs a win, and will be insufferable if he doesn't. I don't think I could stand the moping.

Squishy paid much more attention to Chaeek's question. I guess snitches gonna snitch. We've got a pyro goblin with no chill, an overachieving half-elf, some sort of stuck-up elven prince, and a Hazodee suck-up. Plus the weird plasmoid. Guess I'm the only normal one here. She burbled a bit, amused by her own assessment, and glad that nobody could see what she was thinking, even as her body practically telegraphed her amusement with strange twists and whirls in her fibers and nerve clusters. Lazuli tended to massively overestimate her poker face.

In any case, she wisely asked no questions of the twin-gnomes, although she didn't begrudge her companions for wanting more information. When they started singing, though... She couldn't help but sway in a jiggly little dance along with the horrible melody. "Bravo! Are you bards? You should be bards. I bet there is lots of work on minstrel ships for space bards." she commented, trying to interrupt before anyone asked them any more awkward questions.

Actions

Move: -

Action: -

Bonus: -

Reaction: -

Nazira "Naz" Amarspacer.png

"Guess I'll just have to find out, but since magic clearly works in or out I think I can get by,"

That was true enough, if anything working magic in such circumstances could almost be called a Mystaran ideal. The goddess was magic, at least in the Realms, and thus deserved certain respect but that was not the whole of the theology and to (respectfully) work magic of your own will was esteemed more then slavishly devoting yourself to the goddess in the hopes of being given it in return. Still something to look into, proper theological musing was not Nazira's strong suit but someone here should be versed in the matter. Seeing things wrap up Nazira rose and made ready to leave, with one parting mention to Popsicle,

"Well time to go, I'll see you around Pop. Whatever you're thinking about my amulet I'd reconsider, I don't value mere things but this one came from my father. It disappears I will be finding it yes? We all saw on the boat earlier, you can do much better for yourself then with petty theft you know? Apply yourself in a place like this and you'll find you can buy a thousand old pieces of silver soon enough"

With that Nazira headed out, hoping her words had seen off any immediate mischief. Though if not well, it wouldn't be the first time she'd knocked heads. Naz fixed problems for herself.

~~|*|~~

Out in the open air of the Sky Dock Nazira smiled, this air was familiar to her and reminded her that home wasn't yet all that far away, the site of the busy dock and aerial vessels was both familiar and strange at once.

As the gnomes chattered Naz wondered how widespread their attitude really was. In her experience for everything there was a right way, a wrong way, and then there was how you were actually doing it because the quartermaster or captain said so and was about to keel haul anyone that said otherwise. Books and procedures were all well and good but not everyone had a feel for them especially in the moment. Still it couldn't hurt to give them a read over when they had time. Making her way over to Yahs Nazira helped pick up a few of the books from the avalanche.

"Mind if I hold on to a few?"

Naz asked the plasmoid quietly not wanting to distract from the instructors theatrical routine.

"So what does Fleet Procedure have us doing next?"

Plasmoid.jpg.2a97192db590b36ed168657a4f2abba8.jpgYahs Anirys Plasmoid Monk 1 CG

AC: 16 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1 | PP: 13 | Inspiration: Yes | Speed: 30 ft
Str 11 (0) Dex 16 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 11 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Attacks: Spear (P)1d20+5;1d6+3 | Unarmed(B) 1d20+5;1d4+3 | Sling(B)1d20+5;1d4+3 | Quarterstaff-Mop(B) 1d20+5;1d6+3
Magic: Sacred Flame (DEX vs DC13; 1d8) | Shield of Faith(Bonus; +2AC)

Yahs does her best to gather up the flood of manuals, addendums, and pamphlets sent her way by the diligently rule abiding gnomes. Multiple thin arms squirt forth from her central core to grab the texts until she finds herself looking more like an octopus running rampant through a library. Poking her head out from behind a rather thick volume entitled General Spelljammer Fleet Protocol Volume 23: A Guide to Protocol and Etiquette for Official Entertainment, the plasmoid smiles in relief at Nazira's offer.

"You are most welcome to take what you like." Yahs says. "It seems there is plenty of bureaucracy to go around."

With the flood of information seeming to come to an end as the gnomes dance and sing, Yahs methodically slips the rest of the materials into her water tight backpack and slings it over her shoulder. Keeping what she thinks is the first and likely most useful volume out, she flips to the first page and begins to read while the gnomes slowly wind down.

As Nazira ponders the group's next move "Hmm...well, you should have received an orientation tasklist from Tarto. If not, that is highly irregular." Pik commented disapprovingly.

"Instructors these days, amirite? Just letting green cadets sandbox around the facility, never mind the disintegration checkpoints or wet dynamite sticks." Kip added as Corps Cadet Popsicle strolled by, not a care in the world nor blue security helmet donned.

Glancing back at the letter you all received, you realize indeed this Sky Dock inspection was the final task on the list. You should report back to Officer Tarto on the Simulations Deck, it must be about lunch time.

Or anything else? Will change scenes when I hear from a few PCs.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

Chaeek.jpg.2a12f9800672251476aeef41d9288fd0.jpgChaeek didn't really care terribly about what the hobgoblin officer was doing, nor plan to turn him in, at least without knowing a good deal more about what was going on, and looks at the law book a bit distastefully, though at least he didn't get a whole pile of bureaucratic manuals. Now if they were handing out tech manuals....

"Say, you don't have any manuals that detail the tech specs of these ships, do you?". It couldn't hurt to ask....

"We did receive a tasklist, this was our last stop. I guess that means we report back to the simulation deck?", he looks to the others for confirmation.

spacer.pngCelsior Loriniscil, Prince of Alfheim

Inspiration Yes | HP 8/8 | HD 1/1 | Step 2/2 | Shield 1/1

Recovery 1/1 | 1st-level 2/2

Celsior watched the ships over the entertainment of the gnomes. They remind of a pair of jesters who entertained his mother’s court for a season. The sing song distracts him from the side comment about officer bribery which would not surprise him.

As some of his crew collect a bunch of suggested reading, the prince joins them to gather and carry his share of manuals. He enjoyed reading and has found the secrets discovered within pages fairly useful in court and casting spells.

The past day of activities have knocked his pride down a few pegs, so he keeps quieter than normal reflecting the turmoil introspection.

At Chaeek's latest inquiry, the Whistleslap twins admit it is not their area of expertise, nor the topic of their collections...but remind him of the library adjacent to the Spelljammer Nexus.

Returning to the Simulations Deck, you walk in on the end of some kind of historical lecture. A few visuals stand silently animated by Bacon's magics: the remnants of an ancient ship with an overgrown, massive berry-bush shrubbery; the face of an illithid with a strangely human expression; and a collection of jittery metallic devices with animated letters 'Sunslayer(?)'. "...and thus, it was assumed only a true Living Ship could escape the Astromundi Cluster. It should be considered a matter of open debate what wild force saw the end of the Crystal Spheres, but the effect on Clusterspace is undeniable."

Most of the students in the audience could not care less, a few even snore lightly in the shadows of the illusory projections. One however, a young dark haired lad dares a hand "You mentioned there are no major celestial bodies remaining at all...how can a ship ever reach Spelljamming speed with only planetary remnants scattered everywhere?"

Tarto drags the final inch of her cigar into a thick red coal "An excellent point, Haverstance. Only a few straight line navigational paths are thought to exist, and they would be plagued by pirates and raiders. Most agree small hops at tactical speed, relying on other methods of clairvoyance are the way to go...a good thing to remember, regardless of the 'Space you're in: the Helm's speed reduction can be a double-edged sword. Regarding Clusterspace however, no one in the Fleet has the experience to say."

*AwwoOooGha*

The nautical horn bellows throughout the Academy, signaling change. As students filter out, Tarto motions you over. "Timely. I like that. I have one final task for you all before lunch...but first I'll need that report. I want to hear from each of you. What have you learned, what questions do you have, how do you feel about working together as a crew?" The clipboard again comes out, ready to jot every detail.

"Lou" Louis Dufray (Goblin Ranger) sheetspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 17 | Features

Lou doesn't go first, but when it is obvious that he needs to contribute something, he describes some of the lessons he learned in the library, omitting his foray into the restricted section of course, and some of the details he gleaned from the gnomes. Enough to show he was paying attention but not so much that he looks like he's trying to upstage the others.

"This crew is great. I'd be happy to spell jam with them. And the Hammerhead seems like a decent ship. It could use a couple more guns though. Lots of pirates out there in Realmspace."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Move: none

Manipulate: none

Action: none
Bonus Action: none

Gnarley's Knack: You have Advantage on the next roll you make regarding ship repairs or ship weaponry.

Plasmoid.jpg.2a97192db590b36ed168657a4f2abba8.jpg Yahs Anirys Plasmoid Monk 1 CG

Attacks: Spear (P)1d20+5;1d6+3 | Unarmed(B) 1d20+5;1d4+3 | Sling(B)1d20+5;1d4+3 | Quarterstaff-Mop(B) 1d20+5;1d6+3

Yahs ponders Tarto's question for several long moments. Listening those who go before her, she quickly reviews the various situations, circumstances, and information acquired over the last few hours. When it is her turn, she slides forward and offers a quick salute.

"I have learned that the mop is occasionally mightier than the sword" She says bringing forth the trusty weapon that served her well in both the simulation and the cadet barracks. She then holds forth the backpack full of procedure and regulation books. "But ruling over sword and mop, is the pen. For clearly, much more effort has gone into crafting the rules and procedures of the Fleet, than actual combat training. This triumph of pen over sword leads me to conclude that this is why we received our custom pencil sets. So that we may contribute our own experiences and knowledge to Fleet Procedure one day." A pause as she rubs a squishy pod beneath a rather bulbous chin. "It also seems to me that corruption and paranoia run rampant within the Fleet. Theft and bribery appear to be common despite increasingly deadly, but ineffective, security systems. Budget constraints are hurting morale. Reduced funding has led to a bit of desperation in recruiting. This has allowed some less than suitable candidates to be accepted into the Academy. These candidates cover up their deficiencies through bullying, arrogance, and perhaps thievery."

She quickly glances around at her fellow crew members and then smiles at Tarto. "I am happy to serve as part of this crew. While successfully navigating your tasks, we worked together quite well. When one of use was unfairly assaulted, all rallied quickly to help and the tables were quickly turned on the bullies. None of us tried to circumvent procedure at security and therefore we avoided disintegration. We all passed the physical requirements handily. We are a good crew and I believe we will make the fleet proud when given our first real assignment."

Another quick pause and moment of thought. "Finally, I learned that goblins like candy, gnomes prefer polish to hair tonic, and that pencils *burp* can give me gas."

After another quick salute, she slides back into her place in line.

Chaeek.jpg.2a12f9800672251476aeef41d9288fd0.jpg"I learned that there is a good deal more to flying a spelljammer than technical proficiency and that I do indeed think that it is a skill, perhaps it's better called an art, that I could become proficient at as well. I suppose I learned that the multiverse is weirder and more wonderful than I had imagined as well. And I received a reminder to think outside of the box: exoskeleton polish can be a hair-styling product, candy can be a medium for exchange, and a mop can be a deadly weapon."

"As the recipient of the assault in the bunks, and of my teammates' aid, I too believe that this is a crew that I can and would want to work with. In addition to the incident in the dormitory, we came up with a plan to tackle the orientation task list and followed it until we deemed that a better plan was possible and we followed that."

"Hm. Questions... Why did we get blue helmets for the Sky Dock? The obvious answer is that you wanted us to go to the Sky Dock, but the receptionist at Administration seemed to think it was unusual..."

Lazuli Lazali Lulura, AKA SquishySlimeGirl.jpg.be6391fa65f486754161b2eadaffc135.jpg

AC 17 | HP 11/11 | HD 1/1 | Inspiration Yes | P.Perception 15

Saves: Str -1 | Dex +3 | Con +1 | Int +2 | Wis +5 | Cha +0

Resistances: Acid and Poison

During her turn, Lazuli burbles, "I learned how to get around the academy, and how to spelljam a ship. I kind of thought that was all we were supposed to learn, since it's our first day and all. But yes, I can get along with these guys, we can work as a crew. As long as we have Popsicle along, he's kind of the glue that holds us all together."

Actions

Move: -

Action: -

Bonus: -

Reaction: -

spacer.pngCelsior Loriniscil, Prince of Alfheim

Inspiration Yes | HP 8/8 | HD 1/1 | Step 2/2 | Shield 1/1

Recovery 1/1 | 1st-level 2/2

Celsior listens to his crew answering Tarto starting to smile at Yahs's answer then looking puzzled at Lazuli's answer about Popsicle.

When it's his turn, the prince offers, "So far, I've learned that spelljamming is even better than I've had it described to me. And, I cannot wait to spelljam again, even if simulated."

"I've also learned that the academy is more than just spelljamming and need to practice the obstacle course."

"I believe our crew has already instinctively worked together, in our first simulation, completing our initial tasks, and defending ourselves in the barracks. I look forward to getting to know them better."

He pauses, then the prince adds, "I've a few questions about some recent events at the Academy: Which navigational star charts were recently stolen from the Spelljammer Nexus? Do you have any suspects? Who has the responsibility to investigate the thefts? Is there anything we can help with that?"

Louis the Space Goblin is the first to step forward and report. Tarto adds "True enough. Just don't forget, more big guns means more crew...and more crew means less air, and a quicker reduction in supplies." seemingly oblivious of any crew quarters incident with a certain sawed-off shotgun.

When Yahs translocates over and delivers her report, a startled moment glitches the hadozee's fuzzy features "...you ate your custom pencils? *sigh* Kids these days. When you're on that 7 month sojourn and writin' home, you're going to miss having a stationery set with a personal touch." she promises. "And don't let those Whistleslaps make you think its all procedure. I can tell you right now experience trumps procedure...them two, eh, there's always rules-nagglers." She takes the note about theft and bribery more seriously "The recent increase in security was a response to those incidents, but point taken. The Academy aint what it used to be. These days every axe-juggler and alleyblade just wants to go fight some cult on the mainland, not visit a beholder homeworld like a real man. Don't get me wrong I hate cults, it's just there's so many...its depressing. Dragon. Elemental. Dead Three. There's got to be something evil people can do besides starting cults." Tarto takes a long drag from her stogie, mostly to stop herself from rambling.

Luckily Chaeek steps up. "So...an assault in the dorms, eh? I can probably guess the Puberty Posse responsible. Glad to hear it only strengthened your comradery. As for the helmet, aye we keep the functionaries on the Admin level operationally dark as much as we can afford. I can't imagine what crazed explanation that thri-keen has come up with...she needs a life honestly."

Nodding at Lazuli, Tarto meets Celsior's puzzled look with a grimacing dose of consternation "...its behind me right now, isn't it. That penguin thing..."

Sure enough, there stands Corps Cadet Popsicle. He seems to have acquired a small inventory of goods in a little partitioned display box somehow, although most are labeled with a paper note 'Coming Soon' and the other fraction worthless yet overpriced. "...magic sings if you listen close enough." the dohwar states enigmatically, offering up a bauble between every pair of his strange, flightless half-web/half-finger semi-digits.

Trying her best not to punt the dark, child-sized merchant out the window, Officer Tarto turns to the Prince's report with interest. "Yes, our most up-to-date Realmspace charts, so I hear. Mirt was supposed to debrief us a few hours ago on Security's latest intel. I was going to send you up to the Old Wolf for introductions anyways, if you want to ask him about it yourself. Let me adjust your security helmets..."

Producing a thin green amulet from beneath her shirt, the blue gemstone in your helmets unravels like a beetle splitting its wings in flight. The 'wings' evaporate, leaving a bright gold gemstone behind. "Up on the Bridge. Take that package to him while you're at it, that's an order." motioning to a little wood crate labeled stupidly with 'For Mirt' on the top. "I shouldn't have to tell you this but..." glancing at Popsicle "...don't open it. Once that's done you all can break for lunch."

"...and one last thing. Excellent work this morning, cadets."

DC 19 Perception

Popsicle is poorly concealing a crowbar in their hands, salivating out the sides of his beak while eyeing the crate.

Name
Sleight of Hand
1d20+5 14

Plasmoid.jpg.2a97192db590b36ed168657a4f2abba8.jpg Yahs Anirys Plasmoid Monk 1 CG

It's all about the tax breaks. Yahs starts to reply to Tarto's concerns about the proliferation of cults, but sees that the officer has already moved on. She also shrugs off the worry over her pencils as it was technically one of Chaeek's she'd absorbed and only half of one at that. But of course, it was enough. She might as well have eaten a bowl of extra spicy Chultan noodles with the way her inner workings were grumbling.

Upon receiving the next batch of orders, she offers another quick salute and then begins looking around for the nearest restroom facility before heading up to the Bridge with the others. Not seeing anything suitable, she does spot Popsicle and his poorly disguise crowbar. Seeing Chaeek is the closest to her, she leans over to the hazodee.

"Don't look now, but I think Popsicle might be getting ideas about our crate." She whispers and clandestinely points a thin pod at the penguin's oversized, iron lockpick.

Perception

Edited by DM-Tareth (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+5 18

"Lou" Louis Dufray (Goblin Ranger) sheetspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 17 | Features

Lou listens with disappointment as Tarto explains the downsides of having more guns. Lou knew all of this but would still rather have the guns. It just might be hard to convince the others now. He is ready to help deliver the crate, although with his stature he's probably best on lookout, leaving the carrying for that strong paladin.

When Popsicle arrives with more loot, Lou is impressed.

"I think we need to add Popsicle to our crew. He seems to have a knack for finding supplies. What do you all say?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Move: none

Manipulate: none

Action: none
Bonus Action: none

Gnarley's Knack: You have Advantage on the next roll you make regarding ship repairs or ship weaponry.