Orientation (Part 1)

Cointhief

Lazuli Lazali Lulura, AKA SquishySlimeGirl.jpg.be6391fa65f486754161b2eadaffc135.jpg

AC 17 | HP 11/11 | HD 1/1 | Inspiration Yes | P.Perception 15

Saves: Str -1 | Dex +3 | Con +1 | Int +2 | Wis +5 | Cha +0

Resistances: Acid and Poison

When Lazuli settled into the seat, she moved her ganglia to configure more closely to a humanoid, uh, configuration. It turned out to be unnecessary. As she attuned to the helm, she felt the familiar sensation of swelling, as if she absorbed a lot of fluids and her body became bigger than it was. She almost instinctively found herself trying to extend her nerve cells, move muscle fibers and sensory ganglia out to fill the available space, but it was also unnecessary, as she already seemed to fill the ship, felt the gravity plane, her epidermis expanded all around the air envelope. It was both familiar and foreign to her, all at once.

The most disconcerting feature was that she could not actually change the shape of the ship, as she would change her body. She could feel it ready to move, she knew what forces to push and pull, but the whole form was rigid in a way she was unfamiliar with. An errant thought flowed through her body, that this must be what it was like to be stuck as a gnome, or some other animal, stuck with rigid bones and immaleable flesh, fixed muscles and organs. Her ganglia shuddered for a moment at the thought, but she was quickly able to get used to the feeling, get used to her larger body.

After all, it really wasn't too much different than simply eating too much, and gaining a couple of gallons, growing a couple of feet taller. Absorbing and incorporating new materials into her ooze. This was just on a much larger scale, but still, it was manageable.

She pulled experimentally, delicately, on her new form, to see how it all felt without moving more than a twitch or two.

Actions

Move: -

Action: -

Bonus: -

Reaction: -

Chaeek.jpg.2a12f9800672251476aeef41d9288fd0.jpgChaeek eagerly takes his seat. Gliding is one thing, but to actually fly, under the power of his own (and yet still borrowed...) body? That would be truly amazing! A Hadozee's dream come true.

And not only that but he was going to get to see and experience this incredible tech himself and then learn to use it as an extension of his own person! He had heard that the cephalopod class ship was based on illithid technology and who had weirder tech than the illithids?!? Yeah, this was going to be fun!

ooc

Chaeek will cast Guidance on himself, unless that would somehow be considered cheating.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

spacer.pngCelsior Loriniscil, Prince of Alfheim

Inspiration Yes | HP 8/8 | HD 1/1 | Step 2/2 | Shield 1/1

Recovery 1/1 | 1st-level 2/2

Celsior takes a deep breath and remembers the Star Moth that he took to Toril. He remembered the hull which is grown and sculpted from an organic crystal and could almost feel the resonance hum.

Exiting his reverie, the prince pauses to caress the offered ornate chair having waited for this moment for a very long time. He slowly settles into the chair as if it was his throne concentrating on every sensation.

Closing his eyes, he takes another deep breath and reaches out with his feelings as his theoretical instructor taught. Extending his consciousness from the chair to feel the entirety of the crystal ship. He exhales when he feels the thrum of the resonance within his soul.

Wait, did he say H'Catha? Was it a coincidence that our first simulation was the Battle of H'Catha, a rescue operation gone wrong? H'Catha, one of the strangest celestial bodies in Realmspace. The last of the three Outer Worlds, on the edge of the Astral Sea. Legend has it the original culture died off trying to prove their world was round; it actually wasn't. H'Catha has a single giant spire rising from the center surrounded by a disk of water where the wreckage of Captain Sardax's ship would be. These days, the only known inhabitants are five warring beholder colonies.

Mechanics

Active spells: Familiar (stored)

Action: attune

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Popsicle, much less worse for wear than after his obstacle course trial, saddles up next to Nazira in the gallery. "Oh hai again...uh...thanks for helping me back there but uh...well something strange happened when you touched me. I heard a voice from within shout 'Potency fills me like a song of hope!'. Was that your god...? What are you?"

Meanwhile one of the orrery assistants engages Lou "Well, that does actually depend on your performance during tomorrow's simulation. But assuming you come out ahead, your first real assignment (and first real Spelljamming ship) is next. And I'm sure it will be...interesting."

DC 15 Insight

The assistant is holding back some juicy dish about your first real ship, but might be willing to spill the beans if pressed.

As Corps Cadet DuFray peruses the fantastic resources of the Spelljammer fleet, one strange thing stands out. A small section of texts on the planet Glyth features one very well-crafted tome with a curious title in all capital letters: TADPOLES. The book seems to be talking about some kind of psionic transformation. Such a thing would in theory be very interesting, however the author keeps using this stupid word 'tadpoles' over and over...you quickly abandon the annoying but no less mysterious text for less tadpole-related maps.

They have many Wildspace systems catalogued here you have never even heard of. You notice a familiar one about Clownspace and grab it, only to be foiled by the ol' flower squirting water trick as you unfurl it. Some feature known pirate routes which catch your interest. Other systems are more like treasure maps than true navigational charts. Curiously, one section of the library covering Realmspace has been cordoned off by security...appearing to be the scene of a crime.

After nearly falling asleep from a number of theoretical shipwrighting texts, Lou does finally find a more hands-on, practical volume entitled Rogue Engineer's Off-the-Grid Spelljamming: A DIY Guide to Galactic Conflict, by Gnarley Stumblebuttons. The text's author seems well-versed in mishaps, and outlines a number of 'back pocket' methods regarding general repairs and weaponry, suitable for any ship.

Gain Gnarley's Knack: You have Advantage on the next roll you make regarding ship repairs or ship weaponry.

After a sensation akin to mitosis, Squishy's model Gauntlet lurches along a strange vector, moving (somehow) but slowly spinning. The Scorpion's thick iron metatarsi jangle wildly before retracting close to the hull, and as the pincers close and elongate forward the flight stabilizes at last. "You've taken to it very well, you have much to offer this petrified husk. Now see beyond the veil of the envelope, beyond your dual-bodied symbiosis. Look to the Outer Worlds...tell me where you wish to be one year hence. What shall the cosmos make of you?"

Chaeek, it's not cheating to use Guidance on this one. It's less like a Skill Challenge and more of an RP challenge here.

As Chaeek begins, he feels himself bifurcate into the human-illithid tech from inside out. His sensations begin with a number of linked synaptic nodes, biocrystals infused with psionic energy that transfer data and commands between different subsystems. Tracing one such signal along its route, it quickly splits into 2, then 22, then 23 each with minimal distortion effects and rippling with complexity. The Spelljammer's mind is very nearly overwhelmed trying to map the logic and hidden circuitry as it swells and grows...but finally a moment of clarity. This is not a signal with multiple pathways and effects, but a signal amplifier. "Yes, the Cerebral Amplifier...necessary given the Squid class' reduced power core. Do not forget the Lobotomy Inhibiter Matrix, a safe space should you begin to feel overwhelmed. Chaeek, you will find a wealth of study even in this small model...but I wonder, for what do you toil? What life event in your past drove you to live in this moment, right now?"

The Prince takes his throne, expecting on some subconscious level for the ancestral vessel to tremble in submission. But as the astral elf feels his crystal wings extending into space, as ship and elf are for all intents and purposes the same entity...he realizes this is not subjugation, but rather dominion. A sovereign cry from the Astral Sea beckons him forward. The ship is steady, yet motionless. The tip of the bow slowly points directly at H'Catha, tracking its motion across the chamber like an archer's aim. "Excellent...the path is clear but something inside your mind holds you back. What is it? Speak, or it may just poison your ability to fly."

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

Hearing his instructions, Celsior stops thinking about H'Catha and starts with the first step in the simulation.

Feeling an easy orbit around the sun, the prince vocalizes, "settle into a comfortable orbit around Sol."

Mechanics

Action: think about an orbit around Sol

Plasmoid.jpg.2a97192db590b36ed168657a4f2abba8.jpgYahs Anirys Plasmoid Monk 1 CG
AC: 16 | HP: 9/9 | HD: 1/1 | PP: 13 | Inspiration: Yes | Speed: 30 ft
Str 11 (0) Dex 16 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 11 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Attacks: Spear (P)1d20+5;1d6+3 | Unarmed(B) 1d20+5;1d4+3 | Sling(B)1d20+5;1d4+3 | Quarterstaff-Mop(B) 1d20+5;1d6+3
Magic: Sacred Flame (DEX vs DC13; 1d8) | Shield of Faith(Bonus; +2AC)

Yhas watches the spelljammer training with keen interest from the observation balcony. As the students get used to the helms and their machines she turns to Nazira and offers the half-elf a crooked smile. "I forgot to say earlier, but congratulations on your victory in the gymnasium." She says as her eyes flick back to the events in the training. "I will ponder your success so that I can improve my own skills." She adds offering a quick bow of her bulbous head.

A brief frown of disappointment distorts the instructor's face, but as he sees the potential inherent in the Prince it quickly turns to resolve...Saerthe doesn't give up on Celsior just yet.

Instead of the archer's arrow striking H'catha, the Star Moth glides into a tight ellipse around Sol, easily outpacing the other ships. "You've achieved mere tactical speed, and the elven ships are one of the fastest. But why are you ignoring your target, H'catha and the Astral Sea beyond the Outer Worlds?" shaking his head in dismay, the tall blonde pompadour dancing atop his head.

"I do not mean it is thoughts of this planet that hold you back...it is some deeper thoughts inside you. You know of what I speak; it seems a certain self-doubt...or perhaps envy, an eagerness to lead only to be denied by procedure? The more tightly you cling to ego, the more tightly the Weave clings to you in an instinctive protective shell. It will be unable to transform into the proper Spelljamming conduit necessary for the highest speeds. You must relinquish all...every drop of magic must become the motive force." He leans in closer, and you see your reflection in the mercury sheen of his open eyes. "Even this tiny reserve, this stubborn remnant in the depths of your subconscious..."

As you scour your psyche for this hidden powerwell he speaks of, you can't help but feel a certain disbelief. But smelling the heady notes of the instructor's incense, hearing the soft ringing coming from the crystal on his forehead...you reach a peaceful state where this guarded part of yourself becomes clear. Releasing the psychic ward that stands sentinel here is the only way you will ever succeed at Spelljamming...it is not your body submerged, but this mental element. The ship will be sluggish until you can pull it free, but to feel it...you must know it. Speak it clearly.

My fault for not explaining well. You are trying to reach H'Catha at the edge of Realmspace and the Astral Sea beyond (the Realmspace map I posted to Tracking is essentially what you see here in the orrery's mechanisms). This is kind of like a therapy couch where you each need to work through/enunciate some character details in order to progress. For Lazuli, its her ambition for her future. For Chaeek, its his motivation from his past. For Celsior, its his self-criticism in the present. It's an RP challenge, the best writeup here will get the helm for realzies on the first mission (but your PC doesn't know that).

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

Lazuli Lazali Lulura, AKA SquishySlimeGirl.jpg.be6391fa65f486754161b2eadaffc135.jpg

The plasmoid jiggled again, mostly just enjoying the feeling of being able to stretch herself, even if she can't stretch the ship. She flexed the pinchers a bit, moves her sails, as they feel more like her sails than just an object. This ship is her, she is the ship.

"A year from now? That seems like an impossible distance. I was only formed a year ago, when my progenitor had to split." She jiggled again, in laughter at her pun. "In another lifetime? I don't know. It is hard to focus on something so far. I'll be a member of the Spelljammer fleet, piloting a ship. I would like to catch pirates, or slavers, using my ship's weapons to rip them to pieces and reclaim their stolen wealth. I think that's why I like this ship so much," she admitted, "It seems so suited for war."

Looking to the outer cosmos, as instructed, Lazuli willed the ship to move. "Or perhaps I will be an explorer, finding new planets and experiences among the cosmos. Or a hunter, killing dangerous space-creatures that threaten civilization. Whatever I will be, I want to be big, ship-big, and use my strength to help people." With another jiggle, she commented, "Of course, finding a treasure planet and becoming fabulously wealthy would be nice, too."

Actions

Hearing the disappointment of the instructor, the prince's self-confidence and ire surges, "Why am I ignoring my target? I'm following your (pause) instructions." And you feel that his pause was an unsaid invective that he has hurled at previous tutors.

"You said and I quote, We will begin in orbit around Sol, and proceed beyond H'Catha. So, H'Catha is NOT our target, correct?"

He pauses his aggravation and declares, "I've control of the ship. Where exactly do you want us to go now?"

Mechanics

Action: attune

"You are correct, H'catha is not our target...but it was a very clever one for you to select. I want you to reach beyond to the Endless Astral."

Instructor Saerthe was visibly flustered. He had thought the Prince would be the first to reach the Astral Sea, excited to see him at first creatively using H'catha as a stepping stone. Now it seemed he was evading the psychoanalytical question and becoming hostile, the Queen idling around the starting line. Perhaps the elf didn't need the visual of the model disk-world out on the final ring of the orrery at all, and could navigate straight to the Astral Sea...it was proving to be a great distraction. "Yes Prince, you've control of the ship...but not the Spelljamming helm. There is a final part of yourself you are reluctant to explore. The ship needs that final part to function, it needs all of you just like you need all of it. Ship and Spelljammer mirror each other in every way, you can not withhold yourself from it."

Attempts to gently explain the task afresh were jumbling in his malfunctioning mouth, so Saerthe turned to Squishy as she addressed her ambitions. "Good, now distill all that to a single focus...a straight three-dimensional vector of psychodynamic space. Let the thermal energy of ambition rise to the level of a materializing arcane mote. Then, apply this final burst of thrust towards your destination. Be your future. Exit Realmspace." putting his hands behind his back and adjusting posture to observe.

Chaeek.jpg.2a12f9800672251476aeef41d9288fd0.jpgChaeek settles back into the seat. He marvels at the Cerebral Amplifier and the branching paths of the signal routes. The Lobotimizer is rather ominously named but he keeps it in the back of his mind in case he should need it. But he's got this.

He contemplates the instructor's question for a few moments before answering, "My grandfather, Hoogree. We would spend long nights looking up at the stars and he'd tell me about them and other objects out there. More than that, he'd tell me about how our ancestors came from out there and that it was our destiny to return. He was proud of the business our family had founded making sea-going vessels, but he never believed that it was all we were meant for. He showed me the remains of the ship that brought our ancestors to Toril once. They crashed and weren't able to repair the ship and so they made their way here. The helm was still there, though it wasn't operational, as was some of the tech. I studied it and he explained it the best he could, though much understanding had been lost over the generations. He died before he could see us return to the stars. When I learned about the academy here I knew I had to try. All the tech is endlessly fascinating, but I suppose I mostly do it for him, and for the dream he instilled in me and that we shared."

The memory makes Chaeek's eyes mist a bit and he remembers something else. "Not sure it's entirely good navigation, but there was something else he'd always say, though he wasn't sure where he'd heard it. 'Second star on the right, and straight on till morning!' How's that for a course?"

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

The small cluster of ships wander at tactical speed, the sliding metal clicks and squeaky rotations of the giant gimbals tracking their movement. As the rings orbit and revolve within themselves, Spelljammers note openings in the gaps...moments of opportunity to make their charted path a reality.

As Chaeek recites the saying of his grandfather, a strange humming oscillates over the bright red shell of the Squid. "Yes Chaeek, hear the voice of your grandfather...let the magic of your shared dream become an actual displacement in space and time. Accelerate beyond the possibilities of metaphysics, together linked in mind and arcane spirit. In tribute, in memorial. Exit Realmspace." The bow precisely aligns to that second star on the left, awaiting one final thrust of will.

Chaeek.jpg.2a12f9800672251476aeef41d9288fd0.jpgChaeek nods then takes a deep breath. Perhaps that saying was the perfect course after all. Not a physical heading at all but one designed to carry oneself into the realm of dreams and possibilities.

"Alright, grandfather", he whispers, "here we go. Let's see what's out there!"

And he wills the ship foward. And Beyond.

Reluctant to explore? Impossible! Celsior feels a flash of anger at the insolence of this psycho-babble. The elf has introspected via trance his own soul and those of his ancestors for over a century. Even now, he completely knows how to operate the star moth due to his ancestor's experience.

Refocusing his attention on his own center and the ship, the prince declares, "I'm in full control of myself, this ship, AND this Spelljamming helm. If you want us to reach beyond to the Endless Astral and exit Realmspace, then so be it." He forms the disc shape of the H'Catha system in his minds-eye and selects a pinpoint beyond the system's gravity field. Then, he takes a deep breath and imagines his Star Moth passing through pinpoint and entering the Astral Sea. He slowly exhales and clears his mind of another destination expecting to hold in the gravityless Astral Sea, listening to Instructor Saerthe.

Mechanics

Action: Trance tool is Vehicle (Space)

"Oh," Lazuli said, her ganglia feeling its way through the very cosmos, threading the needle of probabilities. "I can taste it. I think this is what taste sounds like," she continued, grasping onto the conceptualization of her destination. "I am not just the ship. There is no ship. I am the destination. I am... All." For a moment it clarified, as she became one with everything, and almost as an afterthought, flowed her ship-body through. Moving the ship as she moves a pseudopod, as she shifts nodes and fibers within herself, she moved the scorpion through space.

Actions