Character Creation Guidelines

Colin

Character Creation
Level 2
Abilities 27 Point Buy
Allowed Books PHB, Xanathar’s, Tasha’s, Volo’s
Allowed Races PHB, Xanathar’s, Tasha’s, Volo’s
Starting HP Max at 1st level, roll for 2nd

• Feats will be used, custom backgrounds are allowed but need to be signed off on before your app is complete.
  • Variant human allowed.
  • Applications may either use the site 5e character sheet, a character sheet made using the editor, or a hybrid of the two when creating a character sheet. 
  • Mandatory: DM Colin to get access to the Discord server during the ad period.

Character Backgrounds

I’d like a bullet point list covering the character’s notable history. Where they’re from, notable things they’ve done, that sort of thing. Please remember they’re level 2. They did not do something like join their nation’s army as an officer and lead a charge into battle against an army of demons, during which they slew a Balrog.

Additionally, please explain why the character is accompanying the trade caravan to Greenest.

Characters in the Present

Characters are part of a trade caravan going to Greenest. While they may or may not be terribly heroic, they’re at least the sort that when seeing a town being put to the sword will have the urge to Do Something to Help. This could be for heroic or selfish reasons, but they won’t be the type to just walk away.

Ask questions below! 🙂

2 minutes ago, Sapphic Reiver said:

Just to clarify - all chargen options (Races, Subclasses, Backgrounds, Feats, etc...) are to originate only from the PHB?

Correct! Not because I’m trying to be restrictive, but because I lack other books like Xanathar’s and Tasha’s. 

In short you can swap racial ASIs (e.g. CON to WIS) but if you get +2 WIS and +1 CON you can't turn that into +3 CHA. There's an additional rule that you can also swap language, tool, and weapon proficiencies in a certain way, but that's not as big a deal character wise than ability scores.

From WOTC (PDF warning):

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/AL_PGv10_0.pdf

1 hour ago, UTasteSoSo said:

@Fenryr  I poached your template. I am still afraid of Baldr! 

Be my guest. I don't think I used all of the editor's possibility, I guess we'll learn together. Is there a [floatleft] tag? It was so useful to insert images alongside text.

Edited by Fenryr (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Fenryr said:

Be my guest. I don't think I used all of the editor's possibility, I guess we'll learn together. Is there a [floatleft] tag? It was so useful to insert images alongside text.

I'm by no means a Baldr expert yet, but I am given to understand that floating is possible. First you attach the image to the post, then double-click or CTRL-click for image options, which should allow it.