Chapter 5: The townmaster's plight

TricksterArcane

Mercedes

Mercedes TokenMercedes Logo

Tiefling Folk Hero Wild Magic Barbarian 5
My words | My thoughts | My Actions

AC 13 HP 50/50 Speed 40 ft., PP 13, darkvision 60 ft.
Resistance fire Rage 3/3 Magic Awareness 3/3
Cantrips hellish rebuke | darkness

Mercedes considers aloud. "Sounds like a fun place to explore and maybe bash some heads in. My kinda place. Should we finish up here first? Don't want to split the party again, and I don't particularly need rest. Might make sense to get everything figured out here before we go prancing into trouble again. Either way, I'm good." From her actions and the rolling of muscles expectantly, she might prefer going to the mines sooner rather than later, but she was a pragmatic tiefling if nothing else.

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

image.jpegLotham Pendricky Sheet | Log

Neutral Good, Male Human Wizard 7 (Abjuration)

HP: 44/44 | HD: 7/7 (d6) | AC: 13/16 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Prof Bonus: +3 | Arcane Recovery: 1/1

Status: Normal | DM Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 3/3 L3 3/3 L4 1/1 | Defenses | Arcane Ward:  19/19

S

tat Block

Attributes, Saves and Skills

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14  Int 20 Wis 12 Cha 10

Race Features: Languages, Skill Proficiencies

Background Feature: Field of Study (Grad Student - Wizard's Apprentice), Researcher

Class Features: Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery, Cantrip Formulas

Subclass Features (Gloomstalker): Abjuration Savant, Arcane Ward, Projected Ward

Feats: Keen Mind

Attacks 

Dagger +5 attack, 1d4+2 piercing

Languages, Tool Proficiencies

Common, Primordial, Infernal, Celestial

Spells

Wizard: +9, DC 17

Cantrips: Firebolt, Light, Mage Hand, Mind Sliver

Level 1: Absorb Elements*, Alarm (ritual), Comprehend Languages (ritual), Detect Magic (ritual), Find Familiar (ritual), Mage Armor*, Magic Missile, Shield*, Sleep, Tenser's Floating Disk (ritual)

Level 2: Arcane Lock, Hold Person*, Invisibility, Misty Step*, Web*

Level 3: Counterspell*, Dispel Magic*, Fireball*, Fly*

Level 4: Arcane Eye*, Banishment*

Magic Items

Consumable Magic Items: Potion of Healing

Permanent Magic Items: Tome of Clear Thought, Ring of Protection (attuned), +1 Arcane Grimoire (attuned), Staff of Defense (from Kat)

Inactive Magic Items: Boots of Springing and Striding, Wand of Magic Missiles, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Spider Staff, Dragonguard (inactive), Lightbringer

Familiar Stat Block

Knowledge

Weasel

AC: 13 HP: 1 Speed: 30 ft

Str: 3 (-4) Dex: 16 (+3) Con: 8 (-1) Int: 2 (-4) Wis: 12 (+1) Cha: 3 (-4)

Skills: Perception +3, Stealth +5 
Senses: Passive Perception 13  

Keen Hearing and Smell. The weasel has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

Lotham had been interested in exploring the outpost until Mercedes pointed out that it might be dangerous. "Oh, er, um, yes, well we definitely wouldn't want to split the party," he stammered. He looked over at Mercedes. "There's probably nothing there, do you think? I mean, some goblins probably raided it, but they wouldn't hang around, would they?" He bounced uncomfortably from foot to foot, clearly hoping somebody would tell him that it would just be a boring scientific expedition.

Mercedes

Mercedes snorts. "Way they tell your stories 'round here, you'd think you'd know better. Isn't there a secret fortress for all the enemies of civilization and goodness in every cave, gully, and alleyway around Phandalin? When they talk about how you lot routed the Spider and the goblins and all the others, it makes it seem like everything is dangerous. If they're taking particular bricks, they'd need somewhere to take them; and a mine, or at least an outpost for a mining people, makes sense to take them if not find more. We can stop by the camp we checked out earlier if we need to for tracks, but maybe it's just a big coincidence. You lot's exploits, and my personal experience? No such thing."

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Reaction:

Consulting the various notes, records, scrolls and books from the Rockseekers, Gwyn and the Townmaster, you are able to discover the purported location of the old duergar mining outpost Zorzula's Rest. The meaning of its name has been lost to time, though some history books mention a powerful duergar leader named Zorzula, who commanded mining operations throughout the Sword Mountains.

The trek east to the Sword Mountains takes a day. Slowly, the mountainous terrain begins to change. Gray gravel darkens to ash-black, and shrubbery becomes dry and sparse. Instead of the brisk cold of most mountain peaks, the air starts to warm.

Ahead of you rises a tall cliff face, in which is set a pair of forbidding obsidian doors: the entrance to Zorzula's Rest. However, before you have a chance to discuss what to do next, you are interrupted by a stranger.

OOC

@omegoku Would you please take this moment to introduce Everan?

spacer.png

Everan Meliamne - High Elf Bladesinger 9

HP: 56/56 | AC: 16 | Speed: 30ft  | HD: 9d6/9d6 | Spell Slots: Lv 1 4/4 Lv2 3/3 Lv3 4/4 Lv4 3/3 Lv5 1/1

Perception: +6 | Saving Throws: Str -1 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +8 Wis +5 Cha -1 | Spell DC: 16 | Initiative: +4 

Statistics | Magic Items | Skills | Abilities

Spells

Cantrips Known Green Flame Blade, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion, Lightning Lure, Mage Hand

Lv1 Spells Prepared Shield, Feather Fall

Lv2 Spells Prepared Scorching Ray, Misty Step

Lv3 Spells Prepared Fireball, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell

Lv4 Spells Prepared Arcane Eye, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Summon Aberration

Lv5 Spells Prepared Steel Wind Strike

From behind a nearby boulder steps an elf. The elf seems relaxed and at ease, as if strolling through a market. But he makes in clear his gloved hands are empty to the group. He takes a few steps out and then stops. He is pale, as if he has never been under the sun. His hair is jet black and wind swept. He wears studded leather armour with elven script traced about it. Over the dark leather is a raven black cape that flutters in the wind. At times it seems made of ravens feathers, at times leathery bat wing and more often, simply black cloth. Whatever it is, it is clearly magical. On his hip, he wears a rapier and a wand. Over his back is a longbow fashioned from a thick, gnarled piece of yew and polished to a lustrous shine.

His pale face is dotted with 2 dark inhuman eyes and he regards the group for a moment before speaking.

"You seek Zorzula's Rest? Might I enquire why? And who you all might be?"

HP: 44/44 | HD: 7/7 (d6) | AC: 13/16 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Prof Bonus: +3 | Arcane Recovery: 1/1

Status: Normal | DM Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 3/3 L3 3/3 L4 1/1 | Defenses | Arcane Ward:  19/19

S

tat Block

Background Feature: Field of Study (Grad Student - Wizard's Apprentice), Researcher

Subclass Features (Gloomstalker): Abjuration Savant, Arcane Ward, Projected Ward

Attacks 

Spells

Level 1: Absorb Elements*, Alarm (ritual), Comprehend Languages (ritual), Detect Magic (ritual), Find Familiar (ritual), Mage Armor*, Magic Missile, Shield*, Sleep, Tenser's Floating Disk (ritual)

Magic Items

Permanent Magic Items: Tome of Clear Thought, Ring of Protection (attuned), +1 Arcane Grimoire (attuned), Staff of Defense (from Kat)

Inactive Magic Items: Boots of Springing and Striding, Wand of Magic Missiles, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Spider Staff, Dragonguard (inactive), Lightbringer

Familiar Stat Block

Knowledge

Weasel

Keen Hearing and Smell. The weasel has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

Lotham eyed the stranger with unbridled fear suspicion. He took a step back so as to be somewhat behind Mercedes and offered timidly, "Um, I suppose we should be asking who you are." He looked around around at the others for support and added, "We do outnumber you, you know." He then ducked behind Mercedes so as to be completely hidden and shook nervously, wondering what had overcome him to speak so boldly.

katrina.png.883a05a31c5c448f61c3bcc8e66f3a36.pngKatrina Fairlight
LN, Female Human| AC:20* | HP:58/58| Speed:30ft | Perception:13 | Insight:10
* Reaction: shield +5 ac | Favored by the Gods: 1 | Speaking thinking
Profile | Character Sheet (DDB)

With a broad grin spreading across her face, Kat steps forward, undeterred by the elf's imposing appearance and the fluttering enigma of his cape. She claps her enchanted fists together, creating a faint magical spark as she prepares to speak, her voice warm and tinged with amusement.

"Ah, you've caught us, friend! Yes, we are indeed on the hunt for Zorzula's Rest. As for who we are," she gestures grandly to her companions and then to herself, "we're just a band of merry misfits looking to make our mark and maybe find a bit of treasure along the way. And who might you be, with such a fancy cape and all the trappings of a serious adventurer?"

"But where are my manners, I am Kat, Katrina to some, Kat to most people I like, and you, what are you doing out here all alone with nought but a fancy cape?"

image.png.12a7463884e2cadc276a16c002054fbb.png 

HP: 56/56 | AC: 16 | Speed: 30ft  | HD: 9d6/9d6 | Spell Slots: Lv 1 4/4 Lv2 3/3 Lv3 4/4 Lv4 3/3 Lv5 1/1

Perception: +6 | Saving Throws: Str -1 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +8 Wis +5 Cha -1 | Spell DC: 16 | Initiative: +4 

Spells

Cantrips Known Green Flame Blade, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion, Lightning Lure, Mage Hand

Lv4 Spells Prepared Arcane Eye, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Summon Aberration

The elf gave an overly formal bow with a grin. He swept back his cape and stood up to his full height. If he was concerned by the display of prowess he didn't show it.

"Well met, Katrina. I am Everan Meliamne, a wandering traveller much like yourselves. I parted ways with my friends a few weeks past. One was getting on in years, human's don't last long, poor things. Another decided it was time for another path and stayed at the elf village of Dripping Leaves. Me, I am not ready to rest, so I went for a wander to see what I could see.
My old mentor had mentioned this outpost as a possible resting place for a certain artefact. I was scouting Zorzula's Rest to make sure I wasn't ambushed when you lot arrived.
You like my cape? I got it in the Shadowfell, a place I would not recommend visiting.
Enough of my prattling. It seems we both wish to enter this place, and there is a good chance the place is infested with something unpleasant. What say you to working together to clear it? I simply ask to be able to look at any tomes and artefacts we find before you go selling them for ale money."

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)

katrina.png.883a05a31c5c448f61c3bcc8e66f3a36.pngKatrina Fairlight
LN, Female Human| AC:20* | HP:58/58| Speed:30ft | Perception:13 | Insight:10
* Reaction: shield +5 ac | Favored by the Gods: 1 | Speaking thinking
Profile | Character Sheet (DDB)

"You seem like a decent fellow," Kat said. "I hate to kill you." she smiled, turning to the others "An extra sword can't hurt unless it's in the back in the dark, but what say you, shall we join forces?" she asked the others giving Everan the perfect target if he did want to stab her in the back.

S

tat Block

Attacks 

Spells

Magic Items

Familiar Stat Block

Knowledge

Weasel

Actions

Lotham immediately perked up at the mention of the Shadowfell. "Shadowfell?" he blurted out as he popped out from behind Mercedes. "I have heard stories, but am not sure what to believe. Is it true that one is overcome with a sense of despair while there? And that the Raven Queen has spies everywhere? And that there are giant spiders with wings that drop webs like nets and snatch people up to feed their kids in nests like birds?"

spacer.png

Spells

Everan relaxed a little when the man started asking questions.

"Not even an introduction before being grilled? The sense of despair is more than you can imagine. More than once I felt as though I would die there, whether struck down or simply from the weight of having to push my own feet another step. Truly exhausting. She has spies everywhere. Ravens, and hollow eyed people eking out a terrible existence there. I did not see any winged spiders, but I was only there a short time."

S

tat Block

Attacks 

Spells

Magic Items

Familiar Stat Block

Knowledge

Weasel

Actions

Lotham listened to the stranger's account of the Shadowfell eagerly. It took several moments before he recognized the admonishment that had been included in it. Blushing, he stammered, "Oh, er, yes, right. I, uh, my name is Lotham. Lotham Pendricky. And you are?" It took a second, but Lotham did eventually realize that the stranger had already introduced himself. "Oh, um, yes, right. You've already said. Everan, you said. Everan Meliamne." He smiled sheepishly and added, "I was paying attention, you see, just rather, er, intrigued by your experiences in the Shadowfell. So, um, I don't suppose you know anything about Zorzula's Rest. You said something about a resting place for a certain artefact?"

Mercedes

Oh, neat, another traveler. Either they kill her, or they join her.

"Oy, the Shadowfell? Sounds right fun. Always wanted to go pokin' round those places, that and the Feywild. Hear they know how to smash a right good party." She grins. "Mercedes Kilgrace. Axe murderer by day, wine nurse by night. Just kidding: we're here looking for trouble in our own way. Don't suppose you've seen any little green fellows with funny heads, have you?"

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Reaction:

image.png.e1b12aee1d32f3d97feb25c4d4ca86cb.pngBrühl Tordönson
Character Sheet | Adventure Log

CG Illuskan Human "Sailor" Fighter 6 "Battle-Master" / Wizard 1 [7]
HP 72 | AC 20 | Init +2 | Perception 18 | Investigation 20

Brühl Tordönson, a once youthful warrior and now a much older man, walks over to the gathered company of adventurers and greets them and his old friend. "Everan! You old blade! Good to see you again." He went over to greet his old adventuring companion with a strong warm hug. "I have been studying the Art. I'm looking to cure myself of this advance aging." He tugs on his beard and touched his wrinkled and leathered face.

OoC

Notes

Misc

Game Notes

Familiar

6e3642009bcf02204bcd7124ea7fb2d6.jpgOwl

AC 11 | HP 1 (1d4-1) | Speed 60' | Darkvision 12' | Passive Perception 13
Perception +3, Stealth +3

Keen Hearing and Sight: Advantage on Perception checks
Flyby: doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity when leaving enemy's reach

Familiar Abilities
Telepathy 100'
See and Hear through familiar's senses
Deliver touch spells

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

spacer.png

Spells

Everan nodded to Lotham.

"There was rumour of a powerful wand that may have ended up here. I was following up a lead."

The elf frowned at the tiefling

"The shadowfell is no party. Nobody feels joy there. Better avoided if I were you. As for little green men, I had heard rumours there were goblins in the area. But I have not seen any."

When the older man appeared, Everan looked quite surprised. He allowed the man to hug him, and after a moment he awkwardly returned the embrace.

"I had thought you retired friend. Studying the art? Well I hope it can help, but many have studied the weave and turned to darker arts to extend their lives. We must not be tempted down that path."

He turned to the others and introduced the man.

"This is Brühl Tordönson, a warrior of some skill. And now it seems, a mage too. You could do worse than have his sword and hammer on your side!"