Caves Behind the Washnoran Falls

Black Wyvern

DM Narrative

The party looks for a path around the pool of water, but finds none. The dam and thus the pool runs from one side of the falls to the other. Most of the dam is built so that it catches some of the water from the falls, thus it is always wet and slippery. The only dry area is the top of the dam where it blocks the trough. This dry area has a length of about 6', not enough for all of you to stand. You can imagine that the smooth sides of the trough, which it the only path up to the caves, would be quite treacherous with even a little water running down it.

Tactical

This post is an attempt to clarify the situation. You are still at the top of the trough. Posts about moving forward were ignored as they didn't take wading through water into consideration. If you want to try wading forward that is cool I just felt like me taking your posts as such would not be fair.

Basically it is too treacherous to work beyond the dry area, you could either fall into the pool or down the face of the falls. Damage to the dry area would send water down the trough which would cause any party members in the trough sliding down the trough and could cause the entire dry area to collapse. Sending everyone flying down the trough like a giant waterslide with rocks bumping around in it. The trough was created by water flow so you would also remove the only path to the cave, at least until the inhabitants of the cave repaired it and started using it again. By that time the wise woman would be eaten.

It is difficult to tell if the water is safe to drink. There is some algae growing in it, but no obvious pollutant.

In short there is a pool of water that covers the way forward. What are you going to do?
Edited by Black Wyvern (see edit history)

image.png.57dd8e29ec683f899b9d492331fb67fc.pngRealizing the only path into the cave required wading through the pool of water, Duggrule couldn't contain his frustration. He unleashed a series of expletives in his native dwarf tongue before turning to address the group. "The water's deeper than me beard, mates. We ought to search for a safer entrance to these caves."

OOC:

Duggrule will begin looking for another way into the caves

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

You are in a 4' deep half-pipe stone trough that was worn into the rock face of a cliff. To the left of the trough is a 100' tall cliff up to the top of the falls. To the right of the trough is a 100' drop-off down to the bottom of the falls. Ahead is a dam of rocks and earth crossing the trough just this side of the falls. Beyond the dam is hollowed out area behind the falls that is filled too the level of the dam with the pool. There isn't an "around".

"One of you tall folk wanna haul my backpack and quiver over. I will take a quick swim over. I hopefully will still be able to see when I get across it. If not I at least will come back and we can come up with another plan." Barlo says stripping off his backpack and quiver, then holding it out to see if anyone will take him up on the offer.

Edited by Mhogrymm (see edit history)

DM Narrative

Barlo hands his pack and bow over to Lionel and swims easily into the darkness.

Red Max slips into the water on the other side of the dam. It is about mid torso. Moving another couple of feet forward it is neck deep. Another step puts it over his nose on tip toes. Armor prohibits any buoyancy. Another step forward and the water will be over his head. The halfling swims by the big warrior.

After a few moments Barlo pulls himself up on a rocky shore. He can look back and see the falls from where he is at. He further sees two roughly shaped canoes beached. The canoes are obviously how the inhabitants of the caves get back and forth.

Tactical

End of pool and two canoes about 40' straight back into the cave.
Edited by Black Wyvern (see edit history)

Zyira, following her companions, examines the canoes as best she can, and as safely as she can, for any signs of their purpose -- war? Utility? She also attempts to identify what peoples might have made them, if that is deductible through their construction...

Barlo slips out of the water as quietly as he can. He looks around from the edge of the pool and then tries to drag one of the canoes into the water to take back to the others. If he can get it in the water he will stay in the pool beside it rather than getting in, just encase there is a guard waiting to plink at a canoe thief.