Interest Check: PF1e Adventure Paths

Talya

PF1e seems more popular here than I expected.

But the last few weeks all the game adverts have been for custom settings. Is there much interest around here in just running a good ol, 25 point buy, relaxed run of an adventure path or two? I discovered APs with Owlcat's Wrath of the Righteous, and my discord Hell's Rebels campaign is on hiatus. Curious if people ever run stuff like that around here.

I've run a few PF1e APs over the years. Curse of the Crimson Throne and Jade Regent are the ones I had the most luck with. Both are incredible APs.

If I were to return to Pathfinder, I would consider the following APs to be my top three choices:

Rise of the Runelords: Iconic - This is an idea I've had for a while and even attempted once. The PCs are all the Iconic PCs from 1e. Valeros, Ezren, Kyra, etc.

Curse of the Crimson Throne: I'd take another stab at this one. The last time I tried it in PbP, we only got halfway into module 2.

Carrion Crown

Iron Gods

I would consider Shattered Star as well. There are so many good APs in first edition.

My problem is with the system itself. While it allows for an incredible amount of character customization, it is clunky as all get out after about 9th level. Better for a video game like Wrath of the Righteous than a tabletop game.

I've thought about running them using Castles and Crusades instead of Pathfinder, but it would definitely be a different experience.

Adventure paths are very popular - they're what Paizo is actually good at, I'd say. Of course, some are more popular than others - but pretty much any AP is likely to attract applicants.

Some of us are kinda bored of characters at first level... even so, lots of people have APs they'd like to try. I have occasionally seen people do an accelerated-start version beginning a level or two in or whatever which is potentially a bonus, or put some other spin on one.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, Laird_Thorne said:

One AP I've gotten in to start, but never gotten very far at all is Iron Gods. I would love to get in on a run that takes all the way through. For some reason, something about it gives me Thundarr the Barbarian vibes. :)

That's a big ask, though. AFAIK, no group has ever completed an AP in PbP. At least not on this site.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, Laird_Thorne said:

One AP I've gotten in to start, but never gotten very far at all is Iron Gods. I would love to get in on a run that takes all the way through. For some reason, something about it gives me Thundarr the Barbarian vibes. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one to say this. I made a half orc hunter named Ookla just for that AP.

39 minutes ago, CharmingSatyr said:

I run 2 APs (one just starting book 2 and one at the last battle of book 2) and a module. I play in a bunch more.

At risk of sounding like I'm patting my own back, I did a great job choosing great players. I'd love to be one of the first to actually complete an AP on this site.

I wish you luck! I ran Jade Regent until about halfway into Book Four a few years ago, and that may be the AP record around here. Like you, I credit great players for making that campaign work as long as it did.

Even though we didn't get to complete the campaign, I have no regrets. It was a fantastic experience.