Character Creation

Sorithar

6 hours ago, Draidden said:

I never seen a game get so many applicants that either don't like their rolls or claim they can't think up an idea for a character and so drop out.

I'll try to help with your understanding. I think you'll find that a majority of players like to be able to do something well in a game of D&D. But when you get rolls that make you average at best... well no-one plays a fantasy game to be that average guy that doesn't contribute alot.

In 3.5, the standard array is 15 14 13 12 10 8. When you get significantly below this with rolls and have no chance to try again, you're not a hero, you're a commoner.

Anyway, for those that get to play. Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Draidden said:

I never seen a game get so many applicants that either don't like their rolls or claim they can't think up an idea for a character and so drop out.

It´s not so much about not having ideas for a character, it´s about making a character that I would enjoy to play. Which for me generally involves being at least a bit capable. When the stats you roll make you essentially be Mr Average, except for in a few areas where you get to be Mr Just-Above-Average, that both limits your freedom in what type character you play as well as how capable they are.

I would like to request from the MIC pg. 26 A Crytal of Lesser Rubicund Frenzy (Armor Crystal) (+3 morale bonus on weapon damage and fear saves if at or under half hit points)

Also wanted to ask if the Weapon Crystals that deal elemental damage or Crystals of Lifedrinking MIC pg. 64 both. Ar allowed or generally frowned upon?

Both are not necessary but would be nice to have.

I do understand the difficulty of making a character with low rolls and how people might not want to or like it.

My confusion is that no one bothered to ask the DM if they could reroll or use the point buy instead due to their low rolls. I have been in the situation where my rolls were mediocre at best and I always ask if there is a chance for a reroll or even use the point buy system to bring my rolls up to average. After all, it does not hurt to ask. Worst that can happen is the DM says no. But most wont say no because like you they know that everyone wants a heroic character.

That being said, I have had the most fun with some of my characters that had really low rolls. It just makes you have to think a little different when playing them.

9 minutes ago, Draidden said:

My confusion is that no one bothered to ask the DM if they could reroll or use the point buy instead due to their low rolls. I have been in the situation where my rolls were mediocre at best and I always ask if there is a chance for a reroll or even use the point buy system to bring my rolls up to average. After all, it does not hurt to ask. Worst that can happen is the DM says no. But most wont say no because like you they know that everyone wants a heroic character.

Like I said, I tend to stick to the instructions for character creation as written. Some GMs write stuff like "Roll X twice for stats, and if you don´t like any of the rolls you can use point buy", some don´t. Likewise, if the GM has listed a number of allowed sources, I don´t go about asking them if something outside that list is ok, unless they´ve explicitly stated you can do so.

Honestly, I find it quite annoying when GMs clearly list "Sources A, B and C are allowed" and the first question is "Can I use this thing from D?", hence I tend not to do it myself.

But yeah, if I could reroll the stats and hopefully get something that feels like it can produce a competent character that also isn´t just the average joe compared to everyone else I´d be happy to make my application.

On 12/1/2023 at 5:02 AM, Alhallor said:

I would like to request from the MIC pg. 26 A Crytal of Lesser Rubicund Frenzy (Armor Crystal) (+3 morale bonus on weapon damage and fear saves if at or under half hit points)

Also wanted to ask if the Weapon Crystals that deal elemental damage or Crystals of Lifedrinking MIC pg. 64 both. Ar allowed or generally frowned upon?

Both are not necessary but would be nice to have.

I'd allow the "Least" version of the Rubicund and Lifedrinking ones and the "Lesser" Energy Assault one at character creation.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:56 AM, DarthAnthrax said:

But yeah, if I could reroll the stats and hopefully get something that feels like it can produce a competent character that also isn´t just the average joe compared to everyone else I´d be happy to make my application.

In the past I have discussed ability score concerns with players once selected to the game, if there are any, and have generally had great success with reaching an agreement. I try to keep the various players balanced, at least. Lady Luck aside.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:40 PM, Chaz Hoosier said:

I am thinking of making my character an adopted part of the local Dwarven clan, and I am hoping someone could clarify if they are they Ironaxe clan or the Ironeater clan.

There are actually descendants of many dwarven clans residing in the general area and Daggerford in particular. The most prevalent are:

Blackhammer, Gallowglar, Honedaxe, Ironaxe, Rockfist and Yund

The most prominent of these is Clan Ironaxe. (Distant descendants of Clan Ironstar, though this is not generally known even among the dwarves).

Also, have not ported this from the old MW website, but allowing this feat as a Regional Feat for dwarves of the Western Heartlands:

Feat: Ironstar Bloodline [General]

You are descended from the shield dwarves of Clan Ironstar, famed for their smithcraft and their command of magic.

Prerequisite: Shield dwarf.
Benefits: Knowledge (arcana) is always a class skill. You receive a +2 circumstance bonus to Craft (armorsmithing), Craft (weaponsmithing), and Knowledge (arcana) checks.
You may choose between the following racial traits: -2 Charisma (normal), -2 Intelligence, or -2 Wisdom.
Normal: Shield dwarves have the following racial trait: -2 Charisma.
Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character.

6 hours ago, Sorithar said:

In the past I have discussed ability score concerns with players once selected to the game, if there are any, and have generally had great success with reaching an agreement. I try to keep the various players balanced, at least. Lady Luck aside.

No offense, but if you want to keep your players balanced, I think rolling for stats is just a bad idea in general. But what would your suggestion be?

8 hours ago, Sorithar said:

I'd allow the "Least" version of the Rubicund and Lifedrinking ones and the "Lesser" Energy Assault one at character creation.

Thanks a lot.

With that Sören is complete, I'd just hold my extra cash back.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:44 PM, DarthAnthrax said:

It´s not so much about not having ideas for a character, it´s about making a character that I would enjoy to play. Which for me generally involves being at least a bit capable. When the stats you roll make you essentially be Mr Average, except for in a few areas where you get to be Mr Just-Above-Average, that both limits your freedom in what type character you play as well as how capable they are.

My own thoughts head down this route regards rolls. At this stage of the game making a character just to fit the stats is unpalatable. You can obviously, but finding one you actually enjoy playing is another story altogether. Inspiration to fit the theme of the campaign and the setting is limited, especially when you always want to be creative and attempt something new and not rehash already well worn paths.