General Hangout!

Varen Tai

I like how this nifty little discussion made us find out that most of us are a flavour of neuro spicy.

It's not surprising though, DND and Ttrpgs overall are appealing to Queer people and Neurospicy people.

I would guess the answer to that question is "approximately yes" but I could be wrong ofc

While I'm overall a tad more open about it than most, I usually don't just up and blurt it out if I don't think it's likely people around me will be either co-Aspies or just receptive to it in general (or both, as it were).

Edited by WumbologyMajor (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Nighteyes5678 said:

Oh, yeah, what I said about neurodivergant also applies to queer in my life. I think I have a token straight friend, and that's about it. ^_^

I'm a mix there. I'm also god-awful at figuring these things out without being told, so I get blindsided when (for instance) I find out that someone I knew in robotics club transitioned while I was away at college despite the fact that in hindsight I should have been able to tell.

What else is new.

Anyway, I don't think the overlap between the two communities is a coincidence, because challenging established norms is pretty natural when you don't have the underlying assumptions wired in like everyone else seems to. It's not that ND people also tend to be LGBT+ necessarily, I don't think, but more that we're just more accustomed to accepting differences in ourselves already. IDK.

14 minutes ago, PixCO said:

Well that explains the Human Fighter, then. 😝

Human fighter is not where I would go for straight... I mean... Many Boys who like boys be jacked.

Glad to hear this group is good on those things, can be a tricky place to navigate, especially online.

16 minutes ago, Rumrunner said:

Human fighter is not where I would go for straight... I mean... Many Boys who like boys be jacked.

Glad to hear this group is good on those things, can be a tricky place to navigate, especially online.

I cannot deny that, but all the really interesting people mained Illusionists back in 1st edition. I'm just sayin' 😎

The therapist who strongly suggested I'm mildly on the Autism spectrum had I think a literal decade of experience in diagnosing children, but I have excellent masking and didn't do therapy until I was a fair bit into adulthood. So... probably, but not officially?

Wow, this got very hot and also very deep and personal. Please allow me to throw my 2 cents.

When I write my characters, I don't choose their races because I want them to be that thing or else. I actually write a story, and the race kinda comes naturally from the story. If I hadn't chosen the class I want to play before hand, I think the class would come just as naturally, but in this case, it's the class that usually helps shape the story.

I once wrote an elf that I have actually explored her long lifespan with events that do matter. In short, her elven tribe was attacked and mother put her in a basket down the river to a human village. She was found and raised among the humans. She had all the interactions with her foster family, watching them grow, marry, having kids, getting old ... until her foster parents passed away. She decided it was time for her to go seek her actual parents. With some help, she found them alive, rebuilding, and rejoined the elven tribe, learning a whole new culture. In the end, this character came up someone who appreciates life while it last, and is mindful about death even from enemies. She always offers the chance to surrender, and she's specially mindful of that towards other elves.

That character wouldn't work as a human. It had to be an elf. The longevity trait is a must.

About neuro and qeer related stuff, I think I'm very vanilla. Couldn't be any more vanilla. White straight cis male. And this is why I love playing with different characters. They help me see through the eyes of other people and they allow me to grow as a person. RPG is really a powerful tool. Why waste it forcing yourself to only be a baker? And don't take me wrong. If you WANT to be a baker, be it. That's the fascinating part of RPG. Do what you want, not what others expect out of you. I already have too much of that IRL.

"Yeah, it's easy to save the world when your species is known for birthing the best archers, living forever, with innate magic and resistances. It's a lot more impressive when your species is known for being slightly above average at farming."

Meme floating around.