General Hangout!

Varen Tai

There are kinda two plots:

1. GM's secret, you'll see once the game starts! It's more sort of a background plot.

2. I create the main plot entirely from the backstories and goals of the characters. You create a fabulous character first, one that sings (maybe literally, but definitely literature-ly) and is *real*, not just a caricature of a real person, and then I craft a brilliant plot from that.

Edited by Varen Tai (see edit history)

1 minute ago, LDDragon said:

Just checking, have players been picked already? I see that some people have joined the game forum.

No players have been picked! I am still trying to figure out how this site works, so I may have added people into the game before I should have.

On the one hand, this looks interesting and I'd love to make an application.

On the other hand it unfortunately is vague in your intro and doesn't answer most of the mechanical questions people might ask.

I can absolutely try to write up a character for instance, but how do I match my characters metaphorical level to their actual one? You mention not wanting to limit our creativity for races and classes and the like, but speaking as someone whom really needs a box to think in at least as a point of reference that feels to open.

Not to drone on, I would love to apply, but I would need more guidelines for my character application. Thing like whether certain books or homebrew is allowed and what starting levels are. I don't figure any level 1 PC should be written as a storied dragonslayer, or have the wealth of one for instance. And, it is doubtful that you'd accept some time-displaced, nano-machine controlling, space wizard for a setting along the Sword Coast in contemporary Faerun. Not that I'm sure the lore doesn't have some weird precedent for just that, and maybe you'd accept such an idea, but my point remains true.

I feel like these are questions that other people will ask as well, but I also would also personally ask for some advice or guidance in making a google-doc character sheet that is easiest to read for you as I've never done that before.

From my own limited experience with Mythweavers, I will say it would be best to make some other thread or page for the mundane mechanical info regarding levels and class limitations (if any). Mind you I will absolutely be taking into account your story questions when making an application. I may know 5e fairly well, but actual story-telling and role-play can expand so much on the bare basics that it gives players and gms to work with and I love that. I'm just also used to those same rules being like a trail ahead of me as opposed to just wandering into the wilderness without a map (so to speak).

Fair questions!

I did say in the initial post that PCs would start around 5th level or so, though it's probably easily missed in the Wall of Text I pitched out.

So I am creating a story about people. Deeper themes about human nature, struggles and striving towards (or rejecting) the light will be major pieces of it. Still an adventure with fun stuff, but very different from your normal D&D campaign.

That being said, go ahead and make a time-displaced, nano-machine controlling, space wizard as long as they are real, with real human problems, motivations, etc, and the writing is excellent and convincing (you have to nail that application to pull off that type of character so far beyond what might be found in Faerun, but it's possible). I am less concerned with the breadth of the character and more interested in the depth. Convince me that they could easily be found in our world as a real person even without their D&D class levels or powers. Show me the common struggles and thought processes they might have.

This is why the requirements seem more loose. I can work with nearly anything as long as you make a real person and not a caricature of a person. If I want you make something that better fits, I'll let you know how to switch things around.

Does that help?

As far as Google docs, it's not a requirement, it just makes it easier. If you aren't clear on how to create and share one, then just do a private thread here, that's fine. If you'd like my email address to share a doc with me directly, PM me and I'll give it to ya!

Any other questions?

Derp moment for me then.... I re-read it and the level start was missed in the text for me is all. And it does help in a way. The first time I had someone try to encourage me to play Pathfinder had a similar problem, but I think I have learned how to handle that. As I told someone else, "He wanted me to think outside of the box but never told me where the box was."

I suppose when I just forgot where the box was in the case of your post before. Hopefully I can give you at least an NPC worth bringing into the game once in a while, cause I missed out on that part too!