General Hangout!

Varen Tai

42 minutes ago, TheRedGoat said:

Derp moment for me then.... I re-read it and the level start was missed in the text for me is all. And it does help in a way. The first time I had someone try to encourage me to play Pathfinder had a similar problem, but I think I have learned how to handle that. As I told someone else, "He wanted me to think outside of the box but never told me where the box was."

I suppose when I just forgot where the box was in the case of your post before. Hopefully I can give you at least an NPC worth bringing into the game once in a while, cause I missed out on that part too!

Hey, I didn't exactly make it easy to catch. :) Looking forward to your contributions!

9 minutes ago, GleefulNihilism said:

For the record, I’ve been trying to send a twist on the Aasimar Cleric for a while now, but it keeps accidentally sitting off the spam filter somehow and getting me banned from the site, lol

Heh, what the heck is IN that application? 😁

BTW, Nighteyes5678 will be joining us as a co-GM on this project. He's not officially set up in the game yet, but will be. He was one of the co-GMs on the OG Redemption, so I'm delighted to have him along for this ride as well! I'll be adding him into any conversations about character concepts so be aware!

Hey there, just dropping a note that I'm working on 'something'. Very interested in this kind of game, although I doubt my writing skills are the quality you are wanting. Creative writing is why I PbP, however. I'm bouncing between a few old character ideas from short-lived campaigns and making something totally fresh.

Question: I feel like a certain amount of zany humor is part of Greenwood's vision of FR, do you agree? For example, he spends an entire page on cheeses in one of his world references. Or were you hoping for something more dark, gritty, and/or serious?

People are zany and you are welcome to make such a character, but the world itself will be grounded with both seriousness and humor just like our world.

And who knows? You might be better than you think. Apply and let's find out! 😉

Hey! This seems like a really cool idea. I like writing and I always wished RPGs would end up more character-focused. I also love the idea of shifting focus around between the PCs, so that we can dig into each individual character in their own environment a little more.

That being said, I have virtually no knowledge of the D&D world, and have only bought 5e recently (I have been playing RPGs for over a decade, just not D&D). Will that pose much of a problem? I totally understand if it will.

No issues at all! It's not a terrible idea to get a primer on the forgotten realms somewhere, but the basic classes are the same as other rpgs. And honestly, some if the best characters are the ones with vanilla class/race combos that drive deep into fascinating personalities, like the human warrior who was small, but learned from difficult life experiences how to get up every time he was knocked down. He was never pretentious, but struggled to feel as though he belonged anywhere.

That was one of the PCs from the last campaign and he was fabulous. No one would need specific world or game knowledge to write him because he was a real person.

So go create something wonderful! Looking forward to it!

I am totally in on this light and dark thing... exploring the inner workings of what makes a character tick.

My favourite character for this kind of concept is a Paladin. I do like Kelemvor and his mythical Paladin order of the Gray Knights... all about Death and Life kinda stuff.

Maybe for the down times the players can refocus on a sub thread with a look back at an earlier phase of their life recreating their past in more detail as appropriate in detailed snap shot of scenes or some such... to keep the game flowing for your character ?

I love making characters, so I shall do so... an intended build up to say 10th level with a level by level breakdown... so the character can technically start at any level if selected (around 5th)... and the intended future path is also known, but not set in stone.

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)