Adding Cool Mechanics from Other Games

RedMax

I am a die-hard Hero 5e fan, and I use the system for a wide range of stories. But, I was listening to this podcast:

http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podcast/letsroll15/ Start at 32:29

It's about the old James Bond 007 game from the Eighties. They explain how the bidding system works for a chase scenario--it's really good. Now I'm planning to use/adapt the chase system in an otherwise "Hero" game.

But it got me to thinking: what mechanics from other games would you / have you adapted into a separate system. Give me some examples! I'm thinking of overhauling my GMing with some new mechanics, and I'm pretty excited.

Edited by RedMax (see edit history)

I really like the background/world-building mechanics in the Dresden games. Working little mini-adventures into each character's backgrounds so the start the game with some common history is just good game design.

Also, the project clocks from Blades in the Dark. I'm eager to fold that into a campaign of something like Kingmaker.

Aspects from Fate, as already mentioned.

Clocks from BitD, already mentioned.

The Conspyramid and supplemental Vampyramid from Night's Black Agents, fantastic pacing and investigative tool.

Overlord, Horizon and Empire frameworks from Fellowship. Add in the Rebellion and Ship team character sheets as well, why not. Cool campaign structure.

I wrote an entire hack for Star Wars RPG, taking the Balance mechanic from Avatar Legends. Though it's not so much a cool mechanic but 60+ pages of new rules.

GM Moves in general from PbtA games are a great mechanic to add to your GMing tools. They've really changed the way I run games for the better.

GUMSHOE's investigation skills and the philosophies therein are also a very cool mechanic, easy to port into other games which focus on investigation.

If you're up for the extra logistics, Dramasystem's relationship map and associated mechanic (I forget the name, maybe Drama Points or something?) is an interesting way to put more focus on the intra-party dynamics. I think the Alexandrian's covered it recently in a video, but I could be wrong.

14 hours ago, Vladim said:

I'm a fan of Aspects, Compels, Invokes and Fate points from Fate, used as a cap system for other ones to make them more "narrative". It's easy to plug those mechanics in and rewards players for engaging with their core PC aspects.

I was just reading the Dresden Files RPG Volume One: Your Story for the first time and saw all this stuff about aspects, compels, invokes, and fate points. Is Dresden Files one game among many that use this set of mechanics? I'm not familiar with it or the gaming history here.

47 minutes ago, Keante said:

I was just reading the Dresden Files RPG Volume One: Your Story for the first time and saw all this stuff about aspects, compels, invokes, and fate points. Is Dresden Files one game among many that use this set of mechanics? I'm not familiar with it or the gaming history here.

Yeah, Dresden Files is part of the Fate family. Fate Core is part of the more updated rules (alongside Accelerated and Condensed), and has a free SRD.

Pathfinder (with Spheres) is a favorite system for me, but I love these Aspects and Compelling Aspects, in particular, with gaining and spending Fate Points. When thinking about grafting them into a Pathfinder game the first question that comes to mind is whether a +2 or a re-roll is the right bonus in this system. I think maybe the best answer would be to merge it with Pathfinder's Hero Points optional subsystem. Spending Fate Points would get you a benefit that spending Hero Points could get you. The way you gain Fate Points seems much more interesting to me than what I remember about how Pathfinder's Hero Points are gained.

Additionally, I've often struggled with creativity in character story-building, and Aspects seem like such a nice mental framework that might help me a great deal with that.

Edited by Keante (see edit history)

This may not be too exotic, but 5e's advantage/disadvantage mechanic is simple, elegant, and easily portable to any other non-dice pool system.

Also, Delves from Ironsworn. Nice and easy way to abstract any location-crawl without using an actual map. The theme/domain approach offers huge replayability, and the 3 delving approaches can be easily replaced by skill checks.

Most of mine have been discussed already: Aspects from Fate, clocks from PbtA, Gumshoe-style investigation, relationship maps and mechanical rewards for dramatic concessions from DramaSystem. I have added all of these to more traditionally constructed games (mostly Mutants and Masterminds and 5e).

I also like the escalation die from 13th Age. We use it in M&M and I will use it in any other combat heavy game I run.