Dice Tower functionality discussion

Eric

So i was looking a the dice roller again, especially with how more complicated dice options will be coming down the line and i was wondering if there was going to be a GUI implementation for these or if they will always be in raw form.

By this i mean will we be able to say, click a checkbox that says 'keep highest' and then put in all the relevant dice like say we're going to roll 10d10 and then another box for how many dice we want to keep and them just click go, or will we always have to put in a more complicated string like "Keep(10d10,3,highest)" i only ask because its been mentioned that one of the reasons the dice tower is good is so that people don't need to know esoteric BB code to be able to do all the good and niche rolls but having just one box for the dice string would still mean you need to know those codes, you just don't have it in the post itself.

Having a list of options to check, or a dropdown box, to choose what SORT of code you're using on a specific roll would be outstanding and prevent people having to remember or learn each individual dice string code, and type it out each time they make a roll, and would be SUPER newbie friendly.

This is absolutely a 'when the mechanics are finished' sort of suggestion but as an end goal i think its a good one.

5 hours ago, Neopopulas said:

So i was looking a the dice roller again, especially with how more complicated dice options will be coming down the line and i was wondering if there was going to be a GUI implementation for these or if they will always be in raw form.

Absolutely. This is 100% building the high-performance engine underneath, with the sleek body over the top afterward. The various ideas I have collected for "how to input dice" are at the bottom of this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NIKBeTkNehiXb4TYWUS47hQo3yiUJtxZkOh8KPhH76k/edit; feel free to add any others you might have!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I checked the user manual and I couldn't find it: can you have a die being rerolled if you have the highest number possible?  For instance with L5R, you do the roll/keep thing as mentioned above: Keep(10d10,3,highest).  But if it rolls a 10, you roll again and add the results together (keep doing that until you don't have a 10 anymore).  Is there a mechanic to do that?

And in Shadowrun, if you use edge, you can reroll 6's on your D6 but you don't add them up (just add another success).  Is that also possible?

It looks like it.  You have success counting and exploding dice, but will there be an option to combine them, as that is what shadowrun does.  5+ is a success, but if you use edge then a 6 means you roll again and if you have a 5+, you add another success.  A bit tricky probably (xD6 success 5, reroll 6 is sort of the pseudocode I think).  If it's too tricky, we can of course just add another roll beneath with the number of dice that have rolled a 6.

Also in the document I noticed that for L5R it's mentioned D6 and D12.  Is that the latest version of the game, as in the 3rd and 4th editions it's all D10s.

Yes, I'm designing with "arbitrary" combinations in mind. If I read you right, what you will want for SR edge is success(explode(1d6,6),5); does it explode only once, or as many times as you keep rolling a 6?

With respect to L5R, my knowledge is admittedly dated. I'll be reaching out for users with system expertise before I go tackling the image dice.

13 hours ago, Eric said:

Tonight's dice updates covered here: https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/1295-dev-news-stream/#comment-9909

Let me know if you see any issues with keep/drop. I'm well aware that sort doesn't visually do anything, since the UI is still the same and therefore shows only the original rolls (not sorted or kept/dropped) and the sum value. UI improvements will be coming soon!

Dice guide updated.

4 hours ago, Eric said:

Yes, I'm designing with "arbitrary" combinations in mind. If I read you right, what you will want for SR edge is success(explode(1d6,6),5); does it explode only once, or as many times as you keep rolling a 6?

With respect to L5R, my knowledge is admittedly dated. I'll be reaching out for users with system expertise before I go tackling the image dice.

It's been a while since I played Shadowrun and I've never done the last version, but I think only once.

3 hours ago, yxanthymir said:

I wish we could have a way to edit the dice text that didn't feel like cheating. Sometimes we type wrong and the error stays forever.

Yeah, that's tough, because if we let you do any edits then theoretically you can completely change what it's for. Perhaps we can come up with a way for the GM or staff to do it.