Dice Tower functionality discussion

Eric

23 hours ago, Eric said:

Yeah, that's tough, because if we let you do any edits then theoretically you can completely change what it's for. Perhaps we can come up with a way for the GM or staff to do it.

Maybe just add a request for an edit, and if the GM approves you can do it. The opposite also could be asked from the DM when he did an error, and asked permission from the players. 

• 1 month later...

May I make a request for the list?

The Adventure Game Engine uses a pretty simple "3d6 + modifiers vs. target number" system to resolve dice tests.  Nothing MW can't handle currently.

The secret sauce happens whenever doubles are rolled.  At that time you reference the "stunt die," which is one of the three d6's that is differently colored (or otherwise differentiated).  The number on the stunt die generates points for special maneuvers or gets used for determining degrees of success.  It is occasionally necessary in this system to reference the stunt die even when doubles are not rolled.

As it stands now I think it's perfectly feasible to roll 2d6 and 1d6, the latter die being your stunt die.  You would just manually total all three and manually check for doubles for your result.  But it would be nice to get Dice Tower integration if that's possible. 

For this to work on the site I think the Tower would need to report which dice is being differentiated in the results.  Some ideas, the stunt die is indicated in brackets:

3d6,stunt

1, 4, [6] = 11

Here's a version where maybe the tower recognizes the doubles rolled.

3d6,stunt

3, [5], 5 = 13 [STUNT: 5]

Screenshot of Rules

959087524_AGEDiceMechanics.jpg.83b5f5321d6c74948e58e7384068e9f1.jpg

Edited by Aavarius (see edit history)

On 9/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, Aavarius said:

May I make a request for the list?

The Adventure Game Engine uses a pretty simple "3d6 + modifiers vs. target number" system to resolve dice tests.  Nothing MW can't handle currently.

The secret sauce happens whenever doubles are rolled.  At that time you reference the "stunt die," which is one of the three d6's that is differently colored (or otherwise differentiated).  The number on the stunt die generates points for special maneuvers or gets used for determining degrees of success.  It is occasionally necessary in this system to reference the stunt die even when doubles are not rolled.

As it stands now I think it's perfectly feasible to roll 2d6 and 1d6, the latter die being your stunt die.  You would just manually total all three and manually check for doubles for your result.  But it would be nice to get Dice Tower integration if that's possible. 

For this to work on the site I think the Tower would need to report which dice is being differentiated in the results.  Some ideas, the stunt die is indicated in brackets:

3d6,stunt

1, 4, [6] = 11

Here's a version where maybe the tower recognizes the doubles rolled.

3d6,stunt

3, [5], 5 = 13 [STUNT: 5]

Screenshot of Rules

959087524_AGEDiceMechanics.jpg.83b5f5321d6c74948e58e7384068e9f1.jpg

Definitely! I'll put it on the to-do list.

I've not looked through all the comments here but just wanted to express a thought.  

It seems the new platform is catered towards being more user-friendly to newcomers, who don't want to learn the basic HTML there, etc...  I feel like the dice-bot could benefit from having scrollable window options for setting up different combinations and commands as opposed to requiring more memorization of command prompts, which seems to be moving backwards from what the new site hopes to achieve.   

19 hours ago, Eborne1 said:

It seems the new platform is catered towards being more user-friendly to newcomers, who don't want to learn the basic HTML there, etc...  I feel like the dice-bot could benefit from having scrollable window options for setting up different combinations and commands as opposed to requiring more memorization of command prompts, which seems to be moving backwards from what the new site hopes to achieve.  

If I understand you correctly . . . it does have that with the new GUI roller interface. You can see some pictures here: https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/1295-dev-news-stream/page/2/#comment-13971

The box on the bottom left that says "then" allows you to apply all the special functions and the box on the middle right that says "standard" is a dropdown for all the specialty dice (Fate, One Roll Engine, etc.).