Elysium Soiree (OoC)

TiffanyKorta

To paraphrase Futurama, "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Seems a good way to sum up Nezira's little moment there. anyhow, crisis resolved, we've spared ourselves an argument, shall we be off?

Welp. I sure wish you’d tossed in an ooc blurb in your post to that effect…

I get path of humanity. Nezira is that also. But my thought was this was a great time for subtlety since we don’t know dick about this town yet. Who’s in charge of the slavery here? Who are they connected to and supported by? Whose toes would you be stepping on if you took a more overt action? Would an impulse to ‘get involved’ here bite you later and earn you a local enemy?.

I mean, sure, there’s a chance there’s a payoff here- maybe this runaway is some kind of mortal dignitary or someone who ran afoul of the local authorities that might help you later. But those odds are rather slim- we can’t always free the Mujahadeen sector commander who went to Oxford that gives us an in to the Opium smuggling operation. Most of the time it’s just a mook, a throwaway, especially since we ain’t James Bond.

Still, if you want to do more than a bit of subtle environmental maneuvering to give the fella a fighting chance, I can backpedal my post a little bit. But it seems like we ought to take a page from Admiral Ackbar’s book here and assume that it might just Be a Trap.

Nefertiti was not looking to get involved per se, she was merely thinking aloud.

If others had exited the coach then so would she, Nefertiti is a passionate soul who remembers her treatment by her crazy mother.

Okay, it looks like this was a little bit of a misunderstanding, hopefully, we can retcon this a little to work for everyone. And I can promise you that at this early in the plot I'm not planning to trap you, and if it happens it will all be all fair and square!

I was kept away by business travel for the second half of the week, so I'm not entirely sure what has been / is happening, except that all of IC @Sister Spooky's posts have disappeared (which, among other effects, achieves to make almost all of my own IC posts so far completely aimless...), and I'm not sure to understand if other most recent posts have been removed too, or what's the nature of the crisis?

As for my own last intervention to date, OOC I was curious to see if the escaping slave was leading to something story-wise or just part of the atmosphere, and I was okay with both, but IC I conveyed Thyra's frustration, and also the fact that she's claiming viking cultural heritage where slave trading was very much a thing, so she's not seeing the big deal here.

I do apologize too if, for one reason or the other, this rubbed anyone the wrong way.

As a general note, when I started my own V:tM chronicle on the old site, players convinced me to join a Discord server too as a way to emulate the banter on an IRL table and communicate a bit more freely, too, than we'd do by forum posts, and although I was skeptical at first I was proved wrong. It did wonders, and helped keeping the game afloat and clearing up misunderstandings way more often than the opposite (even if no way of communication is foolproof of course). So my two cents would be to recommend that here, too.

You know, a discord server for us to chat about things and plans sounds rather wonderful? I have one for another game I play in and it’s kept the game alive even as our DM struggles with RL housing and family problems.

Anyhow. It seems Spooky has dipped…guess you can all heap the blame on my doorstep if’n you want to, my fault for reading the tone of the room and most folks wanting to get to the thrust of the story after a month of twiddling our thumbs and deciding “Let’s try a least invasive/involved solution to this problem and proceed” approach only to step on toes in doing so.

Regardless, we’re down a player but I think the rest of us are keen to move on.

I also could be blamed as I started the thing with the slave, it most likely was a misinterpretation of my character's feelings toward slavery. If that is the case I apologise, regardless we can still move on with the story.

A Discord server would be awesome, I have used them in the past an they work just fine.