Questions

On th he original forum thr only character creation rules I could find were level three & standard array. Are there ax ny other restrictions? Allowed or banned books, races, subclasses etc?

Standard array and level 4, for this one. Races are PHB, plus goblins and tieflings. Any other races you'll have to ask me. I'm not unwilling to take other races, but my principle is that I only GM stuff I own - and I only own PHB. Also ... no dragonborn.

Also, this is a work in progress. I'll update as we go along.

Since the characters start as barge slaves, can I safely assume that there is no need to give them starting equipment? Or should I equip my bard normally?

Um .. you won't have your starting equipment, but .. I mean, it doesn't matter, but for me personally, it makes a certain kinda sense to know what the character lost? I realise that makes the character sheet effectively wrong, and that might be a hassle. But still.

You can go either way, it's fine with me. You are not obligated one way or the other, do as you prefer =)

I like 5e wikidot...

Can we create our own thread to build our character ?...

I'm going for a human var. female fighter ex pirate called... Pete who can do navigation, climbing sails and rigging, swimming, rowing management (whipping slaves) etc...

Happy new year Acromos, and you finally crossed over to the other side? and 5e great. Is it possible for character slaves to have their gear stashed in a chest in the boat somewhere? Making it a scene just trying to find it in the first place? Assuming that the goal is to try and escape a life of slavery?

I'm happy with using the players handbook; you are using the DMG and Monster manual? What about the other two books?? like Xanthers guide to everything? and Tasha's cauldron of everything? are they allowed?

I'm thinking something like a maybe a Dark Elf, or a half Elf, or maybe Tiefling? either a Rogue or a Warlock or Druid? haven't decided yet. Being 4th level and considering we are at sea, a coast Druid circle would work well.

For a Rogue I'm thinking Assassin, if a Warlock? he may need to find his book of shadows? but then again a familiar and Evards black tentacle's may come in handy too?

Edited by Dorik (see edit history)

6 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

There are online resources for 5e D&D rules wiki's and what not... D&D beyond for example or Roll20 I think.

I'm on DNDB, and if I can find stuff on there, it's ... ok. Maybe. See, there's LOTS of official stuff that I positively loathe, starting with dragonborn and gloom stalkers. So, yea, all suggestions are welcome, but some I'll shot down in cold blood =)

4 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

I like 5e wikidot...

Can we create our own thread to build our character ?...

I'm going for a human var. female fighter ex pirate called... Pete who can do navigation, climbing sails and rigging, swimming, rowing management (whipping slaves) etc...

Hmm. Ok. Going deep into seamanship may be ... of questionable value. Ghazzad is a port city, but whether you go to sea would be something you needed to convince the other players of.

There's really cool things at sea though. The Empire of the Shoals and the Depths, for one thing. But .. many more.

3 hours ago, Dorik said:

Happy new year Acromos, and you finally crossed over to the other side? and 5e great. Is it possible for character slaves to have their gear stashed in a chest in the boat somewhere? Making it a scene just trying to find it in the first place? Assuming that the goal is to try and escape a life of slavery?

I'm happy with using the players handbook; you are using the DMG and Monster manual? What about the other two books?? like Xanthers guide to everything? and Tasha's cauldron of everything? are they allowed?

I'm thinking something like a maybe a Dark Elf, or a half Elf, or maybe Tiefling? either a Rogue or a Warlock or Druid? haven't decided yet. Being 4th level and considering we are at sea, a coast Druid circle would work well.

For a Rogue I'm thinking Assassin, if a Warlock? he may need to find his book of shadows? but then again a familiar and Evards black tentacle's may come in handy too?

I crossed over, yea. Not thrilled about it, but I find my fury lessening. So that's .. improvement =)

The original players had nothing, so what I'm doing is giving you the same treatment - but lighter, cause you'll get some gear straight away. And yea, the first goal is very much to stop being slaves.

I don't have Xanathar's or Tasha's. They're on DNDB, but I don't have access. So .. basically, no, they're off the table.

I'd prefer if you don't go dark elf. I have reasons. You can if you really want, but it'll be problematic for reasons that will quickly become obvious. Rogue is fine. Warlock is ... fine. -ish. No, warlocks are fine, I just don't like them. But they're fine. But like ... what book of shadows? See, that's why I dislike them: I don't know the class, and I don't feel like it's needed. But it's fine.

1 hour ago, herastor said:

I'm starting to work out a character, but I wanted to know where I should post my application?

See - I don't know that. Or, more precisely: Make your own thread for it. Only I don't know if you can. Let me know, please, and I'll see what I can do if you cannot =)

I have an ex pirate girl concept... who's good with a whip... and she can navigate the seas, sail any ship. Apart from that shes a fighter who doesn't need armor and can move around the battle field like the wind.

So there's that...

Stay tuned for a pirate girl post.

39 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

I have an ex pirate girl concept... who's good with a whip... and she can navigate the seas, sail any ship. Apart from that shes a fighter who doesn't need armor and can move around the battle field like the wind.

So there's that...

Stay tuned for a pirate girl post.

Sounds exciting.

I should share some info on piracy then. See, piracy is ... tricky. You'll be on the seas, obviously, and that is the domain of the sahuagin. Not exclusively, but they are the super power at sea, and while they truly don't care about piracy, they do care about getting their cut. The Empire of the Shoals and the Deep exact a toll on all ships passing their waters. They do not, necessarily, enforce this withg 100% success, but they try. The Empire of Tûul-Abban in return tries it's best to negotiate how expensive this should be - then try to get around it in various ways.

Pirates, however, are a bit of a fringe case. The sahuagin have no objections to humans stealing from humans, but take an exceedingly dim view of anyone stealing from sahuagin. So - as a pirate you may have some knowledge and some opinion of the sahuagin others might not. You'd have met quite a few of them. Maybe fought them, actually that's very likely.

Actually, you might know something of religion too. If I pick your character for the game, we should have a brief chat on that in PM's =)

ok sounds good... Sahuagin are pretty vicious, probably easier to just give them a cut, trade or a favor and keep on their good side then.

Anyhow thats all in the past, what my pirate girl 'Pete' got out of her past is the ability to fight, climb, run, swim and navigate a ship's battle swinging around the boom using her whip and fighting with a rapier.