Questions

7 hours ago, Coruja said:

Hey guys, we should start talking about what would be our general goal in the game. We all have our short term, personal goals, but we must agree on a major goal.

We could start a detective agency.
We are in lots of crime city after all.

Edit: This shouldn't be in the questions thread s'rry.

Edited by Worm_that_Walks (see edit history)

On 1/16/2024 at 10:14 PM, Worm_that_Walks said:

We could start a detective agency.

How about some kind of criminal smuggling organisation? Some would be in it for the cash, some more robin-hoody (support the rebellion, help the poor).

You know ... I haven't decided. My aim is to end up with a party of a size I can mentally manage. That means like, four players? I already have one - from the old site - so I'm toying with the idea of either:

A: A PVP knock-out tournament, or

B: Just taking on everyone and wait for half to disappear on their own

And I'm kidding about A, ok? That's never happening, as fun as I secretly find the idea. Or, I guess it's a very poorly kept secret if I post it here.

I will say this: There's a certain type of player - who likes the tactical combat, and so on - who finds me all but intolerable to play with. Cause I'm frankly quite crap at that side of the game. So I'm guessing that's why half always seem to disappear. It's either that, or they don't like my jokes.

1 hour ago, Acromos said:

There's a certain type of player - who likes the tactical combat, and so on - who finds me all but intolerable to play with. Cause I'm frankly quite crap at that side of the game.

I don't care much for the tactical side m'self.

5 hours ago, Acromos said:

You know ... I haven't decided. My aim is to end up with a party of a size I can mentally manage. That means like, four players? I already have one - from the old site - so I'm toying with the idea of either:

And I'm kidding about A, ok? That's never happening, as fun as I secretly find the idea. Or, I guess it's a very poorly kept secret if I post it here.

I will say this: There's a certain type of player - who likes the tactical combat, and so on - who finds me all but intolerable to play with. Cause I'm frankly quite crap at that side of the game. So I'm guessing that's why half always seem to disappear. It's either that, or they don't like my jokes.

I'm not into so much tactical in so far as much as necessary to run the D&D 5e mechanics; adventure, story and plot go a long way though. I think your right for settling for option (B) Some people will decide to leave; as they may have certain expectations and they were not met as an example. Or even a personal crisis that takes them away from the play by post for a while. I'm from your old site and found your style pleasantly refreshing and easy. Perhaps you could settle with up to six player's??

By the way, language wise, what are the available languages for us at character creation? Do all humans speak the same common language, or is there different languages for each of the kingdoms that form the Empire, Lumia, and everything else?

Another thing, can I change a language slot for a tool proficiency? Because if Custom Background is available, then I think it's all good to swap language for tool.

6 hours ago, Acromos said:

From what I have seen, it is quite common for people to drop from play by post games in general, so B might be a sound idea. I have read at least one or two threads mentioning this phenomena in the games discussion forum. Typical cycle seems to be an initial rush of enthusiasm, then gradual tapering off as life gets busy, occasionally bolstered by rerecruitments if the dm feels like it. So larger groups tend to sustain a bit longer as there is more of a base and continuity when people start to drop out.

How about starting with a pre-game thread - a market, maybe, or another social setting (not an inn because I have been there in other gaming systems and I believe starting at an inn is usually bad luck), so you can see people do their thing (or not - like my rules fu is still somewhat wobbly) and if anyone pisses you off - cut them off (it's your game so your guts rule).

Keeps the waiting crowd busy and helps you choose (or avoid, rather).

Questions that have come up in PM's, that I should share with everyone:

Elves: The PC race elves are a watered down, distant relative of the original, True Elves. The True Elves are gone though, long past, and propably never existed anyways. Old wives tales slightly less believable than dragons. So .. no real change.

Custom Background: Apparently, this is a thing. Someone decided it was fine to trade a language for a tool proficiency. I do not agree. Has everyone been doing this?! oO

There's propably more. What am I forgetting?

1 hour ago, Acromos said:

Questions that have come up in PM's, that I should share with everyone:

Elves: The PC race elves are a watered down, distant relative of the original, True Elves. The True Elves are gone though, long past, and propably never existed anyways. Old wives tales slightly less believable than dragons. So .. no real change.

Custom Background: Apparently, this is a thing. Someone decided it was fine to trade a language for a tool proficiency. I do not agree. Has everyone been doing this?! oO

There's propably more. What am I forgetting?

Languages lol

16 minutes ago, Coruja said:

Languages lol

Right, right. Languages.

Ok. Common is the language of the Empire. It's spoken outside the Empire to a much lesser extent. Like, go any depth into the lands of the beast headed men, and common will be of little use to you. They do, however, have their own common tongue there, Slithish.

Right. Each province of the Empire has their own dialect of the common tongue. It's basically a hodge-podge of the original language of that nation before it was conquered, but it's still servicable common.

Other than that, races may or may not have their own languages. The savage people (who aren't really savage at all) have theirs, as well as another 'common tongue' called Groath. The savage people are the orcs, ogres, goblins and so on.

The elves have an ancient language few of them speak. Gnomes have their own, which seems to consist mostly of jokes about the other races. Halflings speak common, and claim it was their language originally. This, despite the fact that ancient Imperial sites are clearly named in common, while halfling sites are not.

What this means is that basically, it might be really hard for you to pick a language. Consider: Theres common, undercommon, Slithish, Groath, racial languages, arcane languages (like, abyssal and celestial and what not). You'll do fine. If you're a sailor - pick Sahuagin. Obviosly, they have their own too.

23 minutes ago, Acromos said:

Right, right. Languages.

Ok. Common is the language of the Empire. It's spoken outside the Empire to a much lesser extent. Like, go any depth into the lands of the beast headed men, and common will be of little use to you. They do, however, have their own common tongue there, Slithish.

Right. Each province of the Empire has their own dialect of the common tongue. It's basically a hodge-podge of the original language of that nation before it was conquered, but it's still servicable common.

Other than that, races may or may not have their own languages. The savage people (who aren't really savage at all) have theirs, as well as another 'common tongue' called Groath. The savage people are the orcs, ogres, goblins and so on.

The elves have an ancient language few of them speak. Gnomes have their own, which seems to consist mostly of jokes about the other races. Halflings speak common, and claim it was their language originally. This, despite the fact that ancient Imperial sites are clearly named in common, while halfling sites are not.

What this means is that basically, it might be really hard for you to pick a language. Consider: Theres common, undercommon, Slithish, Groath, racial languages, arcane languages (like, abyssal and celestial and what not). You'll do fine. If you're a sailor - pick Sahuagin. Obviosly, they have their own too.

Ive made the changes to my character sheet he will have common and Sahuagin having the Sailor background.

The language of the Sahuagin - which mortal tongues can only pronounce while gargling - is also the common tongue of the seas, and often spoken even by river dwellers. Even inland. Even underground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMPpnCvCZvw

With that, I'm propably making them less scary than I should. But there it is. Don't get me wrong, though. The Sahuagin are very very scary. If you don't think so, you'll have to read China Mieville's The Scar, until you realise just how scare they are.