Redemption - OOC Thread (Players only)

ooooo... that labelled differently on like every other map... is that still not on our way, don't we have to go backwards to get there... I think... unless there's an exit from the underdark somewhere closer to Skuld?

6 hours ago, Rumrunner said:

ooooo... that labelled differently on like every other map... is that still not on our way, don't we have to go backwards to get there... I think... unless there's an exit from the underdark somewhere closer to Skuld?

Probably not. It's too close to the Amber Sea. Deep tunnels would be prone to flooding.

The Purple Plains of Dust are deeply connected to the Underdark. The City of the Dead extended those tunnels to the Lake of Salt for resources. I was thinking to cut north under the Dragonsword mountains for a few miles.

Everyone just crossed paths in a very noisy way. If the Green can't find Torben, Ragz, or whatever it's looking for, it's going to come after us next. It might just do that even after it does find Torben and Ragz.

Think of this as the fleeing prisoner jumping into a river to throw off the dogs, except there's also an attack ship overhead so we're going to use the pre-existing secret tunnel system to throw them off instead.

I've got the same concerns about the tone-shift as everyone though. It seems like a good idea to me, but might not be the right time for it.

Hrmmm... I'm fine with the tone shift, but I think the time will probably shift naturally over time anyhow.

Water almost never throws off dogs, and tunnels are even worse for it... But i do get your point, except...

Is leading us away from our objectives: Skuld/Glacier of the white worm.

And I'm not sure that the "dragon will come for us next" is a near certainty either.

Though really, Rillik is probably the last one you'd need to convince. Torben and ragz seem pretty set on their destination, and D'Art is the commanding officer in our group.

The water trick actually worked pretty well back in the days where pursuit techniques were limited to posses and smell-hounds, Mythbusters aside. And tunnels are just about the only way to defeat aerial pursuit. They're a pretty standard escape mechanism.

Not proposing that we actually head south. We're in the circled area, and Underdark tunnels would intersect heavily around Mishtan. We could take a step to the east, find a tunnel, go north just far enough to throw the dragon off our trail, then come back up and continue west towards Skuld.

export.jpg.3c7b341f84d6d55d943deaeef6bc8cda.jpg

Or if we have some kind of fast river transport available now, we could make for the Alamber Sea. That's very exposed to overwatch.

And, no, it's not certain that the Dragon will come after us. But it's really good odds that she will. Neither Ragz or Torben have done anything to earn it's wrath. Not this randomly, though Ragz hasn't voiced that suspicion of his. The Dragon is either rabid, in which case it'll go looking for someone else to torment after eating the Kobold and Bugbear, or it's hunting something. Ancient Greens don't just chase two people this far for fun.

If Torben and Ragz head off overland now, the dragon will eventually find them. It's going to be sweeping the area. If we're lucky then only those two will die and we can move on unmolested by toxic clouds. If we're not, then the dragon will find us first and torture us to find out where Torben and Ragz went.

If it's not them that the dragon is looking for, then she'll torture Torben and Ragz to find out where we went. Because that's how bounty hunting works. You find a lead and squeeze it until you get the information you want. This entire clearing is now a massive clue covered in all our scents. If we all just vanish, underground, it'll take a minute for her to catch on. By then we might be in Skuld and sailing away happy and safe.

I can put this IC again if needed, but I thought the argument was made already. We don't have to do it, or if we do we can even gloss over the details. It's just a way to get everyone away from an inescapable situation.

EDIT: Any chance that the dragon is actually looking for a stray black dog?

Edited by PixCO (see edit history)

Just so you guys know, it's going to be a busy week for me. I am laid up in bed sick today, and hoping it fades before the end of the day because my parents are coming up from out of town to celebrate my 50th birthday and my wife's college graduation, both of which are tomorrow.

Then, to celebrate our anniversary, her graduation, and my birthday, she and I are headed out of town early Friday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon. I probably will not have much chance to post during that time, or tomorrow even. I should be able to get something off today even though I feel like garbage.

1 hour ago, Varen Tai said:

Just so you guys know, it's going to be a busy week for me. I am laid up in bed sick today, and hoping it fades before the end of the day because my parents are coming up from out of town to celebrate my 50th birthday and my wife's college graduation, both of which are tomorrow.

Then, to celebrate our anniversary, her graduation, and my birthday, she and I are headed out of town early Friday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon. I probably will not have much chance to post during that time, or tomorrow even. I should be able to get something off today even though I feel like garbage.

Get better quick. Sounds like too fun of week to be sick.

You know, we could test the theory that it's a stray black dog being hunted if we had a catapult with a high enough arc...

Hey, alternate Plan C... That blue dragon Yopine heard about from those ice-collecting dwarves happens to be Gestaniius. A Fiendish Blue Great Wyrm, one of Tiamat's chosen, invested with a third of her power, resurrected and sent to the Dragonswords to raise an army.

Would a lowly Ancient be willing to venture into THAT territory?

EDIT: Or we could just do what D'Ar said and move along. Good enough!

Edited by PixCO (see edit history)

I was mostly finished with a long post from Ragz in which he discloses a bunch of stuff when I was ninja'd by our esteemed and bedridden soon-to-be quinquagenarian master of stories.

I've been thinking about what to do with my long and dazzling post, but ultimately decided to poll my co-narrators. I don't see Ragz opening up and disclosing all the crap in this post while we're traveling on the road--it's quite personal. The kind of thing you share in a dark hiding place, not out on the road.

So if you have a preference, please state it.

1. I post my post which mostly takes place BEFORE D'Art speaks and exits the scene. OR

2. I anchor the start of my post to a point in time immediately AFTER the half-orc's words and exit, which would require any PCs interested in the info to stick around while D'Art wanders off--which would likely make D'Art look foolish if everyone stays and he walks off with no one following (except maybe Wick). OR

3. I ditch my post and we all wait until whenever Ragz next feels comfortable sharing his tale and (likely not correct) suspicions.

In other news...

I'm not understanding the IC need to hurry up and get back on the road. There's a dragon out there looking for us, and nothing revealed to Ragz and Torban in this scene would suggest a need for urgency great enough to warrant the risk of traveling out on the road within minutes of the dragon's passing. Did I miss something?

I'm in a similar boat, I'll admit. The dragon didn't see us here, and left--it might come back eventually, but not immediately, since it's still searching. The rush seems unnecessary for the moment.

I have no issues removing MY post and letting Ragz share his thing, and then I add the post later, edited to account for whatever flurry of conversation your post sparks up. I'll do that right now.

As far as leaving, that's just D'Ar's personality. He said the dragon would not be passing by again, and he's not one to wait around.

In my view, it doesn't seem natural/organic to start sharing life stories on the spot when there's an enormous beast about 85 feet long that just flew over and the fact that he is actively searching for you. If it passed over our character, it likely knows your general location and there's a good chance it will come back just to be sure. It would be more appropriate to find a more secure location to discuss matters, anywhere but staying in the same spot. Additionally, there is nothing that stop the conversation while walking to to a safer place.

I think that the ''there is no emergency'' stance is really diminishing the legendary threat that is looming around the part. It's a freaking ancient dragon... But this is just my 2 coopers

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Harding said:

I think that the ''there is no emergency'' stance is really diminishing the legendary threat that is looming around the part. It's a freaking ancient dragon... But this is just my 2 coopers

That's my thought exactly, except in reverse. There's a legendary dragon in the area. Ragz is rightly terrified. So why go out into open country in broad daylight minutes after the dragon's passing when we've got this cozy little hiding spot. The only reason I can think of why we might want to leave quickly would be to book it back to town as fast as possible in the hopes that we're not spotted.

I looked at several FR maps showing the area we're in. They all show it as open country: no forests, no broken hill ranges, no steamy marshes... no terrain features that would hinder visibility.

Have I got that wrong?

First off, it's still dark. Dawn is just barely peeking over the sky. Definitely not broad daylight.

Secondly, there are scattered trees and hills not too far away, like the trees y'all are currently in. There are definitely hiding spots.

Thirdly, the dragon was clearly not searching a small area, else she'd still be circling.

3 minutes ago, Harding said:

Well, nobody knows he's circling or not if it's dark and we were in a magic darkness bubble when he passed over.

The dragonfear is a dead giveaway. That hit all of you before you even had an inkling she was close. If she was circling, you'd be able to feel her.