What is Holding You Back from Being a Game Master on Myth-Weavers?

cailano

Why Aren't You a Myth-Weavers Game Master?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why Aren't You a Myth-Weavers Game Master?

• I don't know how to run any sort of game and don't know how to start
    • I don't know the system I want to run well enough
    • I don't have time
    • I don't want to be a Game Master, it's not my thing
    • Other (please post below)
    • NEW OPTION: I don't feel I have the technical skills to run a game on Myth-Weavers

47 minutes ago, Eric said:

lurks belatedly

On topic, time is definitely a big factor. I historically have run my own custom settings and scenarios, scoffing at all that pre-generated content. It was probably because I was cheap, and my imagination was free. In any case, my brain just doesn’t have enough free space to keep all those ideas sorted. I’m going to go find a pregen to run next!

Time seems to be the number one blocker for would-be GMs, at least from the survey.

While I feel like I should run something original soon, my history on the Weave has been with published adventures. It's just so nice having all my maps, NPC names, and artwork done for me.

8 minutes ago, cailano said:

Time seems to be the number one blocker for would-be GMs, at least from the survey.

While I feel like I should run something original soon, my history on the Weave has been with published adventures. It's just so nice having all my maps, NPC names, and artwork done for me.

Yes definitely. The only thing that hinders me on Back to the Beginning is my materials are the 1985 print edition—I should scan them!

I have run a game here and there in MW, but maybe I can put a bit of a spin on the answer and say what holds me back from running more games or certain kinds of games.

I find my energy for posting waxes and wanes. This is somewhat manageable when I only have one or two games on the go but If I tried running or participating in too many concurrent things I would worry that during one of my 'waning' periods it would get overwhelming and just turn me off the whole thing.

For instance right now, I'm feeling energized and keep finding myself thinking about new games I'd want to run, but since I'm currently running one I keep having to stop myself and say 'finish the one you've got going, then if you still feel the urge you can run something else.'

Another barrier I've found to running games is that I tend to like to run things that aren't pathfinder/dnd so often times the rules are not freely available and (completely understandably) players often don't want to shell out for a rulebook for a game that they might only get to play a few scenes in before the game dissolves. Not that I abandon games I am running but I think we all know from experience that a lot of PBP games end up that way so it is a gamble to drop money on a rulebook for a PBP game, something I have definitely been burned on before.

To combat that I usually try to offer pre-gens to my players so that they don't need to consult the rulebook to make their characters and I can explain the rules as they come up. luckily I've had some great players who have been willing to go along with games run in that fashion.

38 minutes ago, cybersavant said:

that's why i like quickstarts - enough to get you going, you can see the system in action, and then decide if you want to commit to the full rules

And most systems do have free quickstart rules.

4 hours ago, cybersavant said:

that's how i got into SWN/WWN/CWN/AWN

Those are a bit better than QuickStarts! I still can’t believe how much you get for free with those systems. Those GM tools!

So I think I might run a series of supers one shots using the big list of rpg plots to randomly generate adventures, that way players won't be tied down to a single character, and hopefully won't be crushed under the anxiety of committing to potentially years of posting in a game they hate with a character they're bored of. 2 to 3 players, ideally. If I get any (positive) replies here I'll put up a real interest check

Edited by gatorized (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, gatorized said:

So I think I might run a series of supers one shots using the big list of rpg plots to randomly generate adventures, that way players won't be tied down to a single character, and hopefully won't be crushed under the anxiety of committing to potentially years of posting in a game they hate with a character they're bored of. 2 to 3 players, ideally. If I get any (positive) replies here I'll put up a real interest check

Actually it would be kind of cool if you didn’t hijack this thread and went straight to the interest check.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:17 PM, cailano said:

Game Masters are always in demand here on the Weave, but many of our players don't choose to run their own games. I'm not here to criticize that decision, but I am curious about what is holding people back. Please check out the poll and let's discuss!

Discussion Rules:

1. It's okay for people to choose not to GM. No posting anything negative about that choice.
  2. It's okay to encourage someone to GM by telling them they'd be awesome at it but remember rule #1.
  3. Yes, we're aware this is not a scientific poll. You don't need to post about it but thanks for caring.
  4. See rule #1.

I voted don't have time, and that's at least part of the reason. But also I'm not particularly inspired to run any specific campaign just now. If/when i get that itch, I'm a lot more likely to rearrange priorities and make time.

11 hours ago, gatorized said:

Would you tie the adventures together in case someone enjoys their character?

11 hours ago, cybersavant said:

what system?

Ditto.

16 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

@cailano My apologies.

'Tis better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Though, I think this warrants a brand new discussion.