What is Holding You Back from Being a Game Master on Myth-Weavers?

cailano

Why Aren't You a Myth-Weavers Game Master?   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Why Aren't You a Myth-Weavers Game Master?

• I don't know how to run any sort of game and don't know how to start
    • I don't know the system I want to run well enough
    • I don't have time
    • I don't want to be a Game Master, it's not my thing
    • Other (please post below)
    • NEW OPTION: I don't feel I have the technical skills to run a game on Myth-Weavers

To answer the original purpose of this thread: I selected "I don't have time", but it's probably closer to a combination of that and "I'm wary/nervous of running public games". I ran a short adventure from the d&d 3.5 beginner's box/starter set/whatever you call it several decades ago, but my high school idiocy led me to trying to expand it too much for my first foray into GMing. I think that may well have scared me off from it for a long time. These days, I run games mostly for a small group of friends and occasionally short one-shots in the Realm-Folded Tavern game.

Now that's out of the way... don't ya just hate it when page breaks ruin your jokes, Malkavian? ninjaorc.gif.5c813c4743e67e397882de2949b023e8.gif

I have GMed many games on many sites outside of MW. And I can honestly say that the one thing that is slowing down my desire to run a MW game is the lack of connection between a player and their character sheet while in any game.

It's honestly odd that there is a character sheet tool, but no way to link any aspect of the sheet to a post. As it stands, some people end up making their character sheets in BBCode and some people cannot be bothered with that.

That being said, I am probably going to run a game at some point, just not sure what to run at the moment (leaning toward PbtA or Cortex).

There are relatively easy ways to post statblocks, but unfortunately, a lot of sheets either don't have a statblock section, don't generate it automatically, or DO generate it but it's clearly wrong. This is much more common as you get away from variants of the D20 system. I know fixing that is on the radar, but well, small staff of volunteers and all that, who knows when any given project will actually progress. Same goes for sheetrolls. It will happen someday, but that's little help right now.

40 minutes ago, Feirgon said:

I have GMed many games on many sites outside of MW. And I can honestly say that the one thing that is slowing down my desire to run a MW game is the lack of connection between a player and their character sheet while in any game.

It's honestly odd that there is a character sheet tool, but no way to link any aspect of the sheet to a post. As it stands, some people end up making their character sheets in BBCode and some people cannot be bothered with that.

That being said, I am probably going to run a game at some point, just not sure what to run at the moment (leaning toward PbtA or Cortex).

I always have my players post character sheets as threads rather than bouncing back and forth between the game and a sheet. I'm happy with that workflow, though, I don't feel like it slows me down. But maybe that's because I don't have a lot of experience with other PbP sites?

1 minute ago, cailano said:

I always have my players post character sheets as threads rather than bouncing back and forth between the game and a sheet. I'm happy with that workflow, though, I don't feel like it slows me down. But maybe that's because I don't have a lot of experience with other PbP sites?

Do you often provide a template for the character sheet? I have found that most GMs don't, so I end up having to copy the source code from another applicant T_T

1 minute ago, Feirgon said:

Do you often provide a template for the character sheet? I have found that most GMs don't, so I end up having to copy the source code from another applicant T_T

I do, but the players often copy from each other anyway.

4 hours ago, Feirgon said:

It is very easy using the clone button. No need to go into the source code any longer.

I also have tons of templates in this thread that you are welcome to use.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/365-bwatfords-fancier-format-examples/#comments

Honestly? I started running games on a different PbP site and after leaving it, my desire to DM/GM has really died down. I like running systems that are niche or aren't really getting that much attention, it was my main motivator for running systems like The Witcher TTRPG, Cyberpunk RED or Mutant Year Zero. They were interesting, they stood out amongst a sea of D&D 5E games.

Mythweavers doesn't really have that problem of being overrun with 5E games. There's a healthy ecosystem with a variety of different systems, I don't really feel that push to run a game system that isn't really represented because there's no need for it here. It's a silly reason, I know. There's also a lack of / low motivation on my end and a general hard time finding maps that work for what I like to run. Most Battlemaps in the TTRPG hobby are tailored very specifically towards Fantasy and not so much for modern/sci-fi, which makes it extra difficult to work with.

Edited by Sapphic Reiver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is a thread all about people not wanting to run, how about playing? I have been trying without success for about 18 months and perhaps a dozen attempts to run / play a superhero game. If that sounds interesting, let me know. Obviously I have no track record as a GM on this site so I don't blame you at all if you're hesitant.

1 hour ago, gatorized said:

Since this is a thread all about people not wanting to run, how about playing? I have been trying without success for about 18 months and perhaps a dozen attempts to run / play a superhero game. If that sounds interesting, let me know. Obviously I have no track record as a GM on this site so I don't blame you at all if you're hesitant.

Have you posted an interest thread in Gaming Discussion? Great way to start! My first game on the Weave was one I GMd.

On 4/25/2024 at 12:19 AM, Papa Bear said:

Supers IS my favorite genre. What system?

(I just launched a Champions game with seven wonderful Weavers)

Prowlers and Paragons is the system I use

On 4/25/2024 at 1:14 AM, cailano said:

Have you posted an interest thread in Gaming Discussion? Great way to start! My first game on the Weave was one I GMd.

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of game I actually want to run

On 1/11/2024 at 11:38 AM, RedRajah said:

the only game I really feel comfortable running is 1st ed 7th Sea.

lurks belatedly

On topic, time is definitely a big factor. I historically have run my own custom settings and scenarios, scoffing at all that pre-generated content. It was probably because I was cheap, and my imagination was free. In any case, my brain just doesn’t have enough free space to keep all those ideas sorted. I’m going to go find a pregen to run next!