Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Another new guy? 1E AD&D :)

Milo Fezziwig

Hey Milo, good to see you checking out the community.

If you're eager to get into a 1E AD&D game, you could form one. If you want to be a player though, keep an eye on the recruitment forum, which has filters for game systems. Sadly it doesn't look like there are any AD&D games recruiting right now. I don't know how often that system comes up to be honest though. There may be other people here who have a better idea about the frequency of different systems.

The game can be run on this site. Most people you'll recruit here will in fact prefer that.

To start a game here on this site:

• click on games on the menu at the top of this page (or anywhere within myth-weavers)
  • from there, click on the button Start a Game
  • customize you game by selecting the system, adding a description, and selecting the length of time you wish to advertise for interested players.

Once you have a game started, you'll be able to set up different sections. I'd recommend looking over other people's games and game advertisements to get a feel how they do things. Feel free to check out the game I'm running: The Wild Lands.

Dice: You can add dice rolls to your posts in a game (start that via the dice icon you'll find in the top right corner of a message after it's been posted).

Maps: different people have their own ways of going about setting up maps for encounters:

• Some people are strictly theatre of the mind.
  • Some use virtual tabletop sites like Roll20.
  • Googles slides are also an option
  • Or making a map at home and posting pictures of it

Personally, for maps, I started off with Roll20 for my first game on this site years ago, but Roll20 doesn't work so great with mobile devices, and as a GM I found without mobile access, I couldn't update the maps throughout my day at work.

So I switched to Google Slides. It has a mobile app. Here's an example of a map I used last year in Google Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/18_Kl0-hhd62NX-9JDwWsPKMpYzVmw5NVAzywS3gYz28/edit?usp=sharing

You'll notice that I duplicate slides, then alter the duplicates, so I and the players have a visual record round by round.

But once I got my home setup ready, I switched to using a home tabletop which I just take pictures of and post right in the combat thread. I of course can't update the map while at work, but once the initial setup is done, it's easy to just move things around and snap a picture.

Here's what that looks like in my game:

lowergoblinsmapc.jpg.7268d2cc47002f9e0402120542e590e1.jpggoblinscouncil.jpg.caf196bda83ca0e86b4d1d23cb4dee48.jpg

You'll definitely find a community of 1D AD&D types here. My own copies sit neatly on my shelf downstairs. I am very impressed by the dedication of Blaeringr! Hand-inked is awesome!

For perhaps the lazier amongst us, I use Paint.net - which is a free photoshop-type tool.

Example Map

spacer.png

The trick of it is having a layer for each map component, that way I can just move things around as needed. So I start with my base image (this one was made with Dungeon Alchemist), then add a layer for my hex grid (or in this case, a square grid...), add a black layer for removing visibility, and add a layer for allied tokens, and a layer for enemy tokens. (This I found makes it easier for when allies move into enemy spaces, such as after they die.)

Then I just take a snip and upload it to imgur, and use that as the weblink for my adventures, as seen in this game!

Feel free to poke around that game and look at how I organized things as well. That's one way to do it - it's the way I've found I really like, but as with DMs anywhere: For every DM there's at least one different way of doing things :D

Thank you very much gents, but I do have a few more noob questions When you start actually posting live is there a separate thread or page for just that...or would I set up a " combat page" on my own by just adding another page at the top. Lastly, do you typically have the players update hardcopies of their characters or use a fillable online character sheet for all to see. Thanks so much for your input Powderhorn :)

Thread organization: that's up to the GM. Click "Manage Game" to create different sections (eg. story, out of character, treasure tracking, etc). Within each section, some will just have a single running story thread, though I like to divide it up into chapters, and just sticky the current chapter. I also have a seperate combat thread for each chapter. I link back and forth in the current chapter thread when switching to combat. For example, the last post in the story thread when switching to combat will say: "Story continued in: Combat - Chap 2", and link that to the specific post in the combat thread where that encounter begins. At the end of that encounter: "Story continues in: Chap 2 - The Goblin Tunnels".

That's my way of organizing things anyway.

If players fill out a myth-weavers sheet and link it to your game (an option they will have when invited to join your game as a member) then their sheets will all show up in the "Character Sheets" section of your game. That's the most popular way. But you can also give them a section to post their own threads with character info, including their character sheets, be it a link to an online sheet, or a screenshot/pic of their sheet.

Looking through other peoples' games will give you an idea of what others are doing and what looks best to you.

Yeah, I tend to have a forum within the game for everything, and an archive section, and then another forum for characters. While many do like to use the sheets function, I myself like to have a "sheet" made on a thread, which you can see an example of here.

@Blaeringr I freakin' love that you set up a tabletop map for a PbP game. I might just steal that idea for a boss battle some day.

For general maps though, I just screenshot the map from whatever module I'm running or use a free map from Dyson Logos site (so many great maps there.)

There is a great website for turning people's character pics into tokens, too. I'll have to find it and post a link.

From there, I just keep the battle map updated in GIMP and I post screenshots.

Battle maps really improve combat but they're a fair amount of work. I tend to save them for the big complex battles. See the image below. That was a fight at the top of a big ziggurat with an eff ton of combatants. There was no way I was going to be able to describe that and have everyone understand.

ziggurat_grid_round02_sm.png.8599dc2850f4cf4b47105f74be85a80c.png