Character Application Q&A

I've already asked about how the Lost Things roll should be handled (we put a roll, you privately send us our result), so here's other stuff for asking (may add to this list as I think of stuff):

1. How will you be handling/balancing for Backgrounds with bonus feats and/or spells known? I've seen other 5E games offer a basic feat like Tough or Skilled for Backgrounds that don't have any bonus feat.

2. Are we using any particular campaign setting before our characters enter the Carnival?

4 hours ago, Doggie_arf said:

I've already asked about how the Lost Things roll should be handled (we put a roll, you privately send us our result), so here's other stuff for asking (may add to this list as I think of stuff):

1. How will you be handling/balancing for Backgrounds with bonus feats and/or spells known? I've seen other 5E games offer a basic feat like Tough or Skilled for Backgrounds that don't have any bonus feat.

2. Are we using any particular campaign setting before our characters enter the Carnival?

Oh, good questions.

1. I had not initially considered that. After thinking about it a little bit, this will depend on which characters are accepted into the game. If an accepted character has a background that gives them a free feat/spell, I'll let the characters who don't have such a background have a free feat of either Tough or Skilled. But again, this will be decided depending on which characters get accepted.

2. We will not be using any particular campaign setting before your characters enter the Carnival, so you can be creative with your backstories.

Yeah, turns out being a wizard is super expensive, and that dagger/quarterstaff they get doesn't sell for much 😂 So I'll be going with starting equipment to grab my spellbook and scholars kit.

Does "magic" tend to be in a specific language? I know there's a trope that arcane stuff is written in Draconic. Otherwise fiddling around with what proficiencies he might have picked up from various dalliances. Cards is a given, maybe some kind of musical instrument? Some kind of magical language his tutor beat into him? Mostly just brainstorming now.

8 minutes ago, PureChance said:

Does "magic" tend to be in a specific language? I know there's a trope that arcane stuff is written in Draconic. Otherwise fiddling around with what proficiencies he might have picked up from various dalliances. Cards is a given, maybe some kind of musical instrument? Some kind of magical language his tutor beat into him? Mostly just brainstorming now.

Huh, I haven't heard of that trope.

I would say Magic can be written down in any language, so long as the Wizards get their Arcana/Mathematical Formulas/etc. correct. If it's not correct, then the magic won't function at best, could backfire at worst. That's my headcanon anyways. ^_^

Edited by Guardian Angel Haruki (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Guardian Angel Haruki said:

Huh, I haven't heard of that trope.

I would say Magic can be written down in any language, so long as the Wizards get their Arcana/Mathematical Formulas/etc. correct. If it's not correct, then the magic won't function at best, could backfire at worst. That's my headcanon anyways. ^_^

Yeah, in older versions of D&D it's often related to Draconic, but it's probably a lot more loose in the newer editions.

Under Dragonborn Traits we read that: "You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic. Draconic is thought to be one of the oldest languages and is often used in the study of magic. The language sounds harsh to most other creatures and includes numerous hard consonants and sibilants."

4 minutes ago, Zombie D Luffy said:

Would a warforged skinned as a puppet be alright? I'm thinking of making him a drunken master monk, but instead of imitating inebriation he uses jerky marionette style movements to make his technique unpredictable.

Of course! Go for it.

Great minds think alike eh?

*nods over towards Example Character sheet*

Ha. Hadn't really looked at the sample yet, but it seems so.

Back story is sort of similar too. I was thinking he was left by his child (possibly his lost thing) at the carnival as a toy and the carnival's magic brought him to life and he's been working as a hand since.