Character Application Q&A

I have a question: what about things from alternative settings? There are official books for instance for settings that are not Faerun (specifically thinking of referencing the Ravnica book). Are we alright to write the characters as also coming from distant worlds if any book is allowed or should we perhaps avoid certain backgrounds? Mind you, I am not even thinking to make use of any special features, more just thinking about how to narrate things.

5 hours ago, Zombie D Luffy said:

Ha. Hadn't really looked at the sample yet, but it seems so.

Back story is sort of similar too. I was thinking he was left by his child (possibly his lost thing) at the carnival as a toy and the carnival's magic brought him to life and he's been working as a hand since.

I am not sure this goes with the premise of the module though. As everyone has had something taken from them and we had to wait 8 years before the Witchlight Carnival returned before we remembered what happened.

Maybe something like, you WERE a boy and something happened and your soul was swapped into the puppet, and now you want your body back.

An old man found you without your memory and you worked as a farm hand maybe?

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

I thought the hook was essentially intended to leave us ignorant of the carnival and it's workings, save a few half remembered childhood snaps, though I'm not sure how needed that is - after all one of the backgrounds from the book is Witchlight Hand which implies the opposite

Yeah, because it's from the book and was part of the sample character, I assumed Witchlight Hand was available. It does seem to run counter to the premise.

If it's not allowed, and maybe even if it is, I had another notion, that he was lost by his child and brought to life by the carnival and then went looking for the child in the larger world. Hearing that the carnival is back, he's returned looking for answers.

Edited by Zombie D Luffy (see edit history)

Full disclosure I have played the first little part of this on another pbp site (we actually played out the childhood experience in a session zero). The DM hook here actually doesn't conflict with that background...for reasons. I totally get why it appears to, however.

Sorry for the wait on answering questions everyone. 😅 But here we go...

On 2/7/2024 at 7:01 PM, TheRedGoat said:

I have a question: what about things from alternative settings? There are official books for instance for settings that are not Faerun (specifically thinking of referencing the Ravnica book). Are we alright to write the characters as also coming from distant worlds if any book is allowed or should we perhaps avoid certain backgrounds? Mind you, I am not even thinking to make use of any special features, more just thinking about how to narrate things.

I would say that you can use official materials not from Faerun. However, considering the fact that the Witchlight Carnival is at a single stop at a world right now, and what the module holds in later chapters, I would like you to be creative with your backstories, and explain that role in your character's world.

23 hours ago, PureChance said:

I thought the hook was essentially intended to leave us ignorant of the carnival and it's workings, save a few half remembered childhood snaps, though I'm not sure how needed that is - after all one of the backgrounds from the book is Witchlight Hand which implies the opposite

It is, but a Witchlight Hand can be just as ignorant as a visitor... ;)

9 hours ago, Zombie D Luffy said:

Yeah, because it's from the book and was part of the sample character, I assumed Witchlight Hand was available. It does seem to run counter to the premise.

If it's not allowed, and maybe even if it is, I had another notion, that he was lost by his child and brought to life by the carnival and then went looking for the child in the larger world. Hearing that the carnival is back, he's returned looking for answers.

Witchlight Hand is allowed. So if you would like to give your character that background, then go for it. ^_^

6 hours ago, MysteriousMiller said:

@Guardian Angel Haruki whereabouts has the Carnival arrived this time...just so I have my character in the right world at the start point 😂

I'm leaving that open, so people can be creative with their backstories. ;)

Also because after the Witchlight Carnival, the characters are going to find themselves in a completely different place than where they start. ^_^

7 hours ago, Guardian Angel Haruki said:

I'm leaving that open, so people can be creative with their backstories. ;)

Also because after the Witchlight Carnival, the characters are going to find themselves in a completely different place than where they start. ^_^

That's cool...I'll use a generic village where EEEEK used to live.

Ok so this is Day one of me on this site. And I would really like to join this campaign before it closes. I have DND beyond and I really am a good player I just don't know how to set up everything for this site. Can I get some help please

Name
roll
4d6 3,6,6,6
roll
11; 10; 7; 11; 14; 11
drop(4d6,lowest);drop(4d6,lowest);drop(4d6,lowest);drop(4d6,lowest);drop(4d6,lowest);drop(4d6,lowest) [1,3,2,6]; [1,3,2,6,1,5,2,3]; [1,3,2,6,1,5,2,3,1,2,1,4]; [1,3,2,6,1,5,2,3,1,2,1,4,2,5,4,2]; [1,3,2,6,1,5,2,3,1,2,1,4,2,5,4,2,5,3,1,6]; [1,3,2,6,1,5,2,3,1,2,1,4,2,5,4,2,5,3,1,6,5,2,3,3]

2 minutes ago, Spiderbite88 said:

Ok so this is Day one of me on this site. And I would really like to join this campaign before it closes. I have DND beyond and I really am a good player I just don't know how to set up everything for this site. Can I get some help please

Hi! Welcome to Myth-Weavers!

All you need to do is to create a new thread in Character Applications and begin creating your Character for this game. Feel free to take a look around at the other characters and the Example Character to get an idea of what to make for your application.

I would recommend making a character sheet using Myth-Weavers' sheets. Someone did try to use a D&D Beyond sheet, only for that thread to become hidden. ^^"

When the end advertising date comes around, I'll be choosing who the players are.

Feel free to ask any more questions if there's something you're not sure of, or if you need more clarification. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't played on Myth-Weavers for years, but your game idea really tickles my fancy.

1. Is there a posting frequency requirement?
I'm asking because I remember some games stalling while waiting for players. I appreciate a system where you as the GM can simply decide for a player (mostly by having them just idle or pass their turn) after for example 48 hours.

2. Is it advantageous to feature a character portrait in the application? I'll try to see if I can find one regardless, but I'm not keen on paying for an AI-generated one.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)
Name
Ability Scores
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 5,3,3,1,3,5,6,5,1,6,5,4,4,5,1,3,4,6,2,6,5,2,6,3
Ability Scores
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 5,1,5,4,6,3,6,4,4,2,4,1,6,4,3,1,5,6,3,5,6,1,5,3
Ability Scores
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 5,5,1,6,5,1,4,5,2,5,1,5,4,1,4,5,2,6,1,3,5,4,4,6