Jade Talons: OOC Discussion

Aspekt

OOC: Money deducted. I'll add the cart inventory to my sheet temporarily. Should we make a topic just for the general inventory of the group?

This seems very wise, just so people know what’s available to them for problem solving!

I don't mind tracking the general inventory. But for my sake, I'll just keep it in my post.

Also I would like to say that I check the game several times daily. I love rpg and this is basically my only reliable source of happiness in life. I see each post and I force myself to not rely immediately. If I do, I'll flood the game and it will be a bad experience for the rest. That's why I wait for either a certain number of players to post, or a certain amount of time to pass, before posting again. If I'm still being too frequent, and it's running your fun, let me know and I'll try my best to hold longer.

How closely are we tracking encumbrance?

By my estimate, the cart should have about 780 pounds available for personal cargo and passenger weight once the shared items are loaded (before any food or water is consumed). That's 130 lbs per person; we may only have room for one or two passengers at a time.

Weight: 2100 lbs capacity
Cart 200
Barrel (2)

Water (80 gallons) 660
Ale (6 one gallon jugs) 60
Wine  
Cheese  
Tent (3) 60
Animal Feed (20 days) 200
Total: 780 lbs available

Edit: 2100 lbs carrying capacity is under standard carrying capacity rules. using variant encumbrance, a mule pulling one cart would be encumbered pulling over 700 pounds (including the cart's weight) and heavily encumbered pulling over 1400 pounds

Edited by morgan_ (see edit history)

I have enjoyed games where we track encumbrance following the “variant encumbrance” rules. They’re a little more restrictive, but with that restriction it makes your choices more important about what you carry with you, and it encourages you to keep a “home base” to store the things you aren’t carrying, and get pack animals to carry your stuff.

With that said, that’s not always fun for everyone, so I’d like to make sure everyone would want to do that before we pick an encumbrance rule-set.

other options I’ve seen are “slot-based” encumbrance, or just the regular encumbrance from 5e where you can carry a silly amount of things without penalty.

Personally, I enjoy tracking all that stuff; I'd be fine with using variant encumbrance rules.

The Jade Talons would probably want a second mule, though, if we're using that rule set. The cart with just one would be about 80 pounds from being heavily encumbered carrying the shared inventory alone.

IRL, mule can pull a lot of weight. We can always purchase another mule.

Mule, 8 gp, Speed: 40, Carrying Capacity: 420 lb

I also found this interesting discussion over carrying capacity: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/143519/am-i-understanding-how-to-calculate-a-mules-pulling-capacity-correctly

Whatever you guys choose, I'm game.

And since we are here, @Aspekt, what kind of GM are you? Do you like to roleplay the whole trip, or do you prefer to summarize?

Personal inventory everyone should have

Waterskin, 2 sp, 5 lb. (full): A waterskin can hold up to 4 pints of liquid.

Rations (1 day), 5 sp, 2 lb.: Rations consist of dry foods suitable for extended travel, including jerky, dried fruit, hardtack, and nuts. (10×)

Mess Kit, 2 sp, 1 lb.: This tin box contains a cup and simple cutlery. The box clamps together, and one side can be used as a cooking pan and the other as a plate or shallow bowl.

Bedroll, 1 gp, 7 lb.

Cart inventory for the party

Cart, Vehicle (land), 15 gp, 200 lb.

Mule, 8 gp, Speed: 40, Carrying Capacity: 420 lb, Cart Pull: 2100 lb.

Feed (per day), 5 cp, 10 lb. (20×)

Barrel, 2 gp, 70 lb.: A barrel can hold 40 gallons of liquid or 4 cubic feet of solids. (2× water fresh)

Ale (Gallon), 2 sp (6×)

Common Wine (Bottle), 1 gp, for cooking

Hunk of Cheese, 1 sp (10×)Two-Person Tent, 2 gp, 20 lb.: A simple and portable canvas shelter, a tent sleeps two. (3×)

You may ask to include/remove items from the list.

Extra cost for everyone but Sherrin: 1 gp 6 sp. Sherrin provided us with her mule. It's not fair to charge her on the second mule.

For reference and discussion, here's the two options. These are pretty easy to try and if we don't like one we can go with the other. Don't think it overly affects the gameplay if you swap in the middle of the game, it's more a decision making constraint. And again, this is supposed to be fun! If you don't want to play FantasyAccountingSimulator™️ we don't have to.

Standard Carrying Rules

• You can carry up to (Strength Score x 15)
  • someone who has a "normal" strength of 10 can carry 150 pounds.
  • I don't know if you guys have gone backpacking recently, but the last time I carried 40 pounds on my back, as a "normal" person, I thought I was going to snap in half after about 2 miles.

Variant Encumbrance:

• If you carry weight in excess of 5 times your Strength score, you are encumbered
    • aka, your speed drops by 10 feet.
  • If you carry weight in excess of 10 times your Strength score, up to your maximum carrying capacity, you are instead heavily encumbered
    • aka, your speed drops by 20 feet and you have disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.
  • So to go back to our "normal person" example, with a strength score of 10 you can carry up to 50 lbs before becoming encumbered.
  • You can carry 100 lbs before becoming heavily encumbered.

I think I prefer Variant Encumbrance, if everyone would enjoy the work of tracking that. I don't think it's worked well in my in-person games because it gets fiddly to figure out what everyone is carrying and do all the maths, but when I've played solo roleplaying games, I've really enjoyed it. It forces me into hard decisions like, "Well, if I carry XYZ, I can't wear my armor. But I really need XYZ, so I guess I'm going in armor-less..."

Here is a fascinating article for reference: Historical precedent for carrying weight

Looks like anywhere between 50-100 lbs has been a "fighting loadout". But I would also argue, at that 100+ mark you're encumbered and slowed, just like the Variant Encumbrance rules would indicate.

Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)

On 2/16/2024 at 8:54 PM, Coruja said:

what kind of GM are you? Do you like to roleplay the whole trip, or do you prefer to summarize?

I don't think we need to track things hour-by-hour, or even day-by-day. I do like to have something happen in those days during travel, so usually I will make a request or prompt for the players about one thing they might pursue during the travel, or a story they tell, or I might roll up an encounter that I will place along the trail.

Mostly I try to only run the portions of the game where the players have a chance to effect the story. So, if we spend 1 week writing posts rolling dice for survival checks, and nothing happens, that's not that fun. I'd rather "skip to the good stuff".

One thing I am trying to read about and figure out is how to "pace" the adventure so that nobody is left behind, but also knowing when everyone is ready for the story to advance. One thing that might help is for us to develop some kind of notation in the post to say, "I've done everything I want to at this point in the story, ready to move on" or otherwise to say, "I have more things I'd like to do before we move on, but I'm also leaving space for people to jump in". Perhaps that is best handled here in the OOC posting? I'll try that out.

Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)

Understood. It's just hard to bond over things that should bring us closer when the players don't live through it.

About the encumbrance if we are going with variant rules, each mule can carry 700 lb, bringing us to a total of 1400 lb at full (30) speed, 2800 lb at 20 speed, or 4200 lb at 10 speed.

Cart 200 + feed 200 + barrels 800 + tent 60 = 1260 lb