Team 1: OOC Discussion

PureChance

33 minutes ago, PureChance said:

Aside from Elrod's personal purchases, is there anything else in town we wish to have bought for the journey?

Unashamedly stealing from the Jade Talon's list - do we have enough tents? the wagon is covered so that should sleep two probably, wilovar has a tent on top of that, for another two, and Elrod's just bought one for a 3rd two. Which should be everyone (unless people don't want to share). Wil has enough animal feed for his mules which could stretch to the ox as well if needed (28 days worth, so 14 for the pair, or 9 days for 3 animals) - but hopefully they'll be able to graze mostly. Given we're by the river, the one barrel should carry enough water for everyone.

I'm assuming everyone has mess kits and bedrolls from their starter gear.

Hopefully we won't need rations, but if things run to emergencies we should have some spare between us.

Does Tseren need to buy some cooks tools?

Do we need to invest in more lanterns or torches? Wilovar has one bullseye lantern for guiding his wagon at night, but it's not necessarily that good for keeping catch given it's a cone. Equally I suppose we'll have a campfire all night.

Would a shovel be useful if we need to dig the wagon free or build some kind of barricade?

We should have plenty of rope.

An axe in case the bandits go for the classic tree on road trick?

• A dungeoneer's pack has neither a mess kit (0.2) nor a bedroll (1) but Dee has a shovel, at least.
  • Would a hooded lantern (5) and ten flasks of oil (0.1 each) be enough to call all our bases covered?
  • We have beasts of burden. Would people appreciate a block and tackle (1)? It's more about lifting than carrying but PureChance's roadblock scenario reminded me of snatch blocks.

That would be 8.8 gp altogether for D.

Wilovar has a block and tackle already, largely for unloading his wagon but he can definitely take it with (and probably would, if a wheel breaks need to hitch it up somehow).

Probably don't need that many lanterns - we'll at moat have 2-3 watchers so that would be enough lanterns. If a fight breaks out we'll have plenty of torches - Wilovar has 10, as does anyone else who has an explorers pack.

Plus the campfire.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

I’ll be honest, unless y’all really want to we don’t have to be this crunchy about supplies. I haven’t run a group that wants to go that route before, and I’m happy to do it though. that said, I’m gonna work on an honor system because I’m not a spreadsheet guy and I don’t want to be checking everyone’s inventories for 5 days of rations or exactly 13 feet of rope. I’ll do my best to remember to prompt y’all though if things like that come up

Reason for having a wagon - can pack everything and the kitchen sink and not break immersion. Plus liked the idea of a travelling merchant. We've a wagon and now a generously DM donated cart on top of that, so I can only assume scootloops intends us to take everything we find, down to unscrewing the dungeon doors.

Happy to hand wave things if the DM is equally happy for us to pull out items we've not specifically mentioned (within reason) when the situation calls for it. The whole set of carpenter supplies, block and tackle etc was largely for role-play purposes as I sat and thought what a wagon would pack in case of accidents, so I can write appropriately immersive (for me at least) posts.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

7 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

All I know is I hate encumbrance. At least we have a cart.

Encumbrance will be a thing, but mostly to make sure you aren't carrying a barracks worth of supplies on a single person. I'm not gonna track minor items like coin weight, but if one of you is carrying like, an egregiously high amount of gear on your back I'm gonna impose encumbrance penalties.
If we were running a strictly high seas adventure though, I'd be more inclined to make you watch the weight you carry with a sharper eye. Can't have you carrying a whole treasure chest and a suit of armor up from the bottom of a sunken ship by your lonesome.

6 hours ago, PureChance said:

Reason for having a wagon - can pack everything and the kitchen sink and not break immersion. Plus liked the idea of a travelling merchant. We've a wagon and now a generously DM donated cart on top of that, so I can only assume scootloops intends us to take everything we find, down to unscrewing the dungeon doors.

Happy to hand wave things if the DM is equally happy for us to pull out items we've not specifically mentioned (within reason) when the situation calls for it. The whole set of carpenter supplies, block and tackle etc was largely for role-play purposes as I sat and thought what a wagon would pack in case of accidents, so I can write appropriately immersive (for me at least) posts.

Bringing a cart as your background was a smart idea, no guarantees you'll always have access to it (hard to bring a cart down a stairwell, through a planar portal successfully, or it could break beyond repair for a variety of reasons.). As for the one the Silver Hawks have right now for use, I can't say it will always be available.

Personally, it makes sense to me that a group of adventurers would have access to a cart and some kind of work-animal, especially with a group as large as y'all are.

Edited by scootloops (see edit history)

Yeah. Elrond has 15 strength, so it is less of a problem for him, for regular gear he even wears light armor. But I have a tendency to play characters with more like 8 strength, and the dungeon delvers’s pack, or whatever it is called, is already over 60 lbs. so add on the tent and bedroll, weapons and armor, and most of my 8 str characters can’t even walk.