Chapter 1: A Fateful Competition

Brian Skies

spacer.pngFarah - DDB | MW Thread

checked-shield.svg AC: 16health-normal.svg HP: 27/27 | awareness.svg PP: 14Psionic Energy 4/4Conditions: N/A

Farah isn't quite sure what she can do, as most eyes are already on the contestants, but she nods.

"Goodness, there are sharks after them! I know this is a race but I didn't think it would be a chase!"

She strides up to Omo and puts her hand on her shoulder, looking straight into her face.

"What's the big idea, here? Looking to stir up drama with a big news story? 'Move over pie contest, the big meal this year is the contestants'? Or was this planned? Do you have beef with one of the contestants? Who is it? I want to get the details right when the Aurora Watch start asking questions."

Farah hams it up, hoping to cause enough of a stir to cover up Namira's casting.

OOC/Actions

Not sure if this requires a skill roll. I hope not, since my Charisma is garbage, but I'll roll if needed.

Vars nods in agreement with Wandile's words. Within minutes, they have Maryl and the Ogre seated face to face in an arm-wrestling bout. There wasn't much exchange between the two. And once a referee let go of their hands, they began to push with all their might.

However, this bout was finished quickly as Maryl slams the Ogre's hand down onto the table.

With no other challengers left to face Wandile, Vars calls Wandile to the center ring and raises his hand. "Let's give a warm welcome to our new champion, Wandile Dandala!" Vars then hands Wandile a medal of muscle made of ebony and shaped like a flexing arm. After staring at it long enough, the muscles appear to bulge.

Medal of Muscle

Wondrous Item, Common

You can squeeze this medal tightly in the palm of your hand as an action. Doing so gives you advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws for 1 hour. Once this property has been used, it can't be used again, and the medal becomes nonmagical.

The elegant Drow shrugs in response to Vir's question. "I do not know if your Kobold friend will be able to participate. It is rumored that the contestants for this year's Grand Finale will be selected by the Elders themselves. Surely he will have an opportunity to display his worth before their decision is made."

Omo raises her arm in frustration. "First the contestants complain about not having teammates before the race, and now you bring up sharks? Lookie here, miss. I've been running this race for years. And sharks have always been a risk here in the Ifolon River. Why do you think we keep the race so close to the pier?"

The orc and the goblin can be see tussling with one of the sharks. Both the orc and goblin manage to land blows with their fists, although the goblin seems to be struggling wading in the water. Is he injured?

The blue-skinned woman seems unfazed by Wipp's attempt to frighten her. She dives headfirst into the water and swims towards the pier. One of the sharks attempts to bite the woman, but the woman is too agile in the water and barely avoids the shark. She then swims through the hands of the goblin, keeping the spear away from him, before coming upon Wipp.

Initiative Order:

Male Orc 70ft [6 damage]

Male Goblin 70ft [5 damage]

Ifolon Striped Shark [6 damage]

Ifolon Striped Shark

Blue-Skinned Woman: Swimming toward the pier (attempting to move to 20 ft)

Wipp 65ft

Female Human 60ft

The blue-skinned woman is attempting to swim for the victory. Wipp can attempt to take the spear from the blue-skinned woman with an opportunity strength check.

Name
Maryl's A-W Check
1d20+4 17
Ogre's A-W Check
1d20+4 6
Male Orc Unarmed Strike Attack 1
1d20+4 16
Male Orc Unarmed Strike Attack 2
1d20+4 6
Male Goblin Unarmed Strike
1d20+2 6
Male Goblin Unarmed Strike
1d20+4 9
Ifolon Shark Bite
1d20+4 8
Ifolon Shark Bite Damage
1d8+2 4
Ifolon Shark Bite
1d20+4 12
Ifolon Shark Bite Damage
1d8+2 3
Blue Skinned Woman WIS Save
1d20+1 20
Ifolon Shark Opportunity Bite
1d20+4 6
Goblin Strength Check
1d20-1 5
Female Human Strength Check
1d20+2 2

spacer.pngWandile Dandala

Bugbear Echo Knight 

AC: 15 (Chain Shirt) | HP: 31/31 () | HD: 3/3 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +2
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 11, Investigation 11. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 17 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: Common, Undercommon,

"Harhar!" Wandile exclaimed as the orcish soldier triumphed, "and that if why I'll always bet on a Watcher to have my back over anyone else!" He offered Meryl a nod of respect, raising a single fist in gesture designed to recognise their shared service, before accepting the medal from Vars. "I'll be sure to be back next year to defend my title!" he told the crowd, before stepping back to talk to the Kenku more quietly. "That was more fun than I'd thought it would be," he admitted, "your cheering really got my blood flowing you know?" He reached round one apelike arm to massage his opposite shoulder, eliciting a grunt "Some of that was tougher than I expected, no mean competition."

"Anyway," he dropped the hand back down toward the bard, "I make it your turn next, where would you like to go now? Figure we've still got a bit of time to kill before the big show this evening."

OOC

Action: Bardic Inspiration held in reserve.

Bonus Action: —

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Maul . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Flail . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Javelin [4] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 4 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Manifest Echo . magically manifest an echo of yourself in an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet of you. This echo is a magical, translucent, gray image of you that lasts until it is destroyed, until you dismiss it as a bonus action, until you manifest another echo, or until you're incapacitated. Your echo has AC 14 + your proficiency bonus, 1 hit point, and immunity to all conditions. If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll. It is the same size as you, and it occupies its space. On your turn, you can mentally command the echo to move up to 30 feet in any direction (no action required). If your echo is ever more than 30 feet from you at the end of your turn, it is destroyed.

When you take the Attack action on your turn, any attack you make with that action can originate from your space or the echo's space. You make this choice for each attack.

When a creature that you can see within 5 feet of your echo moves at least 5 feet away from it, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature as if you were in the echo's space.

Echo Swap . You teleport, magically swapping places with your echo at a cost of 15 feet of your movement, regardless of the distance between the two of you.

Second Wind . 1/1 (Short Rest) Regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Reactions:

Class Features:

Action Surge . 1/1 (Short Rest) You can take one additional action.

Unleash Incarnation . 3/3 (Long Rest) When you take the Attack action, you can make one additional melee attack from the echo's position.

image.png.e27b3358131daffd07203a7782acd89b.pngVir Corath - Kryn Bladesinger

checked-shield.svg AC: 16 (19)  | health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | sprint.svg Initiative: +4 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: +9 | image.png.5761a33e1190901d4b01eb5ad3c8dbcf.png Bladesong: 2/2

Vir gave the elegant Drow a nod of respect.

"I would know your name, if we are to test wits this evening. I am Vir, of the Clan Corath."

Though they disguised their face, they did not disguise their name. Their intent was not to deceive the Drow, though with the false face some of that was inevitable. Though all of them were Changelings, the Clan of Corath were warriors and scholars, not spies. Vir had learned to their folly what a real spy was, and the experience had burned them badly. This hunt was about repairing some of that damage, and in doing so, they hoped to gain some wisdom so that they would not be so easily deceived in the future. 

To Garn, they smiled kindly.

"It appears I've done you a grave disservice then, little warrior. I offered you bad advice, and when you stumbled, I swept in and solved the other riddles before you had a chance to. Come, let us find you some new challenge to prove yourself. I will cheer you on."

Actions

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

~image.png.8e7e3d897b23140563c5c87e4c9427d3.png  Piper HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 | Pass percep: 14

Piper is only slightly disappointed that Wandile doesn't take the challenge. It was smart though and followed the rules of what he had to follow, so it was only right. She nods to herself and watches the other two, "Will the new challenger get to face the mighty champion?" , she pauses only for a moment as the question was answered. "There you have it one and all! The new challenger is denied! The champ need not bother! Wandile! Wandile! Wandile!", she chanted as she jumped up and down. She looked overly pleased as Wandile paid her credit. She cocks her head to the side and stares at Wandile for a moment, thinking about his question. She did not believe she was a good swimmer of any sort, so it was not hard to turn that down. That left the meat-pie eating contest and the riddles and rhymes. Eating a whole bunch of meat-pies had its allure and even though Piper actually wasn't that sure about her ability to answer riddles, it was still rather tempting. Why couldn't there be a performance contest? She wouldn't have any trouble deciding what to do then. "I wouldn't mind checking out the riddles and rhymes. You like pies? Maybe after checking the riddles and rhymes we can both eat some pies?" If she could convince Wandile to want to do the eating contest, then they both could enter and she would get to do both the things she was tempted to do. "I bet you could put a ton of pies away!"

Used

Bardic inspiration (free d6 to add to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw) on Wandile

Bugbear Echo Knight 

Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 17 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)

Wandile nods slowly, sharp contrast to the little bard's flurry of speech. "Riddles and rhymes it is, and then a meat pie after. Depending on how much entry is, it's probably just as cheap as lunch will be today." He begins to shoulder his way through the crowd, his height easily allowing him to see over most heads towards their destination and his bulk creating space for the kenku to follow. "Tavern I work at, I know the owner puts up all his prices 20% the week before festival day. Doesn't stop anyone buying."

They arrive at the purple pavilion just as several other contestants were finishing up - two drow clearly having done well enough to earn their own medals and a little kobold almost lost in a suit of armour that looked a size too big. Wandile waves in their direction "Fellow winners this year I see," he comments gruffly, his own medal of strength now hanging prominently around his neck. "Hopefully you've left enough medals for the rest of us!"

OOC

Action: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Maul . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Flail . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Javelin [4] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 4 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Manifest Echo . magically manifest an echo of yourself in an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet of you. This echo is a magical, translucent, gray image of you that lasts until it is destroyed, until you dismiss it as a bonus action, until you manifest another echo, or until you're incapacitated. Your echo has AC 14 + your proficiency bonus, 1 hit point, and immunity to all conditions. If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll. It is the same size as you, and it occupies its space. On your turn, you can mentally command the echo to move up to 30 feet in any direction (no action required). If your echo is ever more than 30 feet from you at the end of your turn, it is destroyed.

When you take the Attack action on your turn, any attack you make with that action can originate from your space or the echo's space. You make this choice for each attack.

When a creature that you can see within 5 feet of your echo moves at least 5 feet away from it, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature as if you were in the echo's space.

Echo Swap . You teleport, magically swapping places with your echo at a cost of 15 feet of your movement, regardless of the distance between the two of you.

Second Wind . 1/1 (Short Rest) Regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Reactions:

Class Features:

Unleash Incarnation . 3/3 (Long Rest) When you take the Attack action, you can make one additional melee attack from the echo's position.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.a3631b3d4b1df6139e851e498461c12e.pngNamira - MW Sheet

checked-shield.svg AC: 14 health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | awareness.svg PP: 14 Spell slots 2/2 Conditions: N/A

Seeing as the scare tactics weren't working Namira decided to follow through with her plan, casting hold person on the blue skinned contestant while the judge is busy with Farah. She looked over her shoulder and moved her position, turning her back to them as she cast the spell, all the while communicating telepathically telling Wipp to get ready.

~I'm going to cast a spell on her to hold her in place in three... two... go!"

At the signal Wipp dove at the spear wielder and yanked it from her as hard as he could.

Dice Ex Machina

Namira casting hold person, DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be held for a minute.

As soon as it's cast, Wipp will attempt to take the spear and return to shore, made a roll, though if she fails, the hold person check she's paralyzed and auto fails any strength or dex saves and can't take actions so it shouldn't be necessary.

Name
steal the spear?
1d20-2 9

checked-shield.svg AC: 16 (19)  | health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | sprint.svg Initiative: +4 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: +9 | image.png.5761a33e1190901d4b01eb5ad3c8dbcf.png Bladesong: 2/2

Vir had left the riddles behind, seeking out some new challenge to test their new companions, but it took them a moment to realize that someone was calling out to them. It took them a moment longer to find the voice in the crowd, in truth far longer than they would have liked. They were fast and skilled with magic, but the depth of their own failings were a constant thorn in their side. What good was it to be quick with an alley bow and a ward if you couldn't find your target until after they'd knifed you? At last, their grey eyes settled on the bellowing Bugbear, so obvious now that they could see him standing there. Too slow, too slow indeed.

"I've done this one ill, I'm afraid."

They gestured to their companion.

"Snatching the prize from in front of him after he'd cleared the initial hurdles. I am Vir, Swordsage of the Clan of Corath. Well met."

They allowed Garn room to introduce himself before continuing.

"Do you know what challenges remain unbeaten?"

Actions

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

~image.png.8e7e3d897b23140563c5c87e4c9427d3.png  Piper HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 | Pass percep: 14

" 'Ello there! I am the ever talented bard Piper and this is the strong champion of arms, Wandile! So, are you the champion of riddle or rhyme? Or is it riddles with rhymes? Rhymes with riddles? Answering riddles with rhymes?", Piper asked excitedly, curious about what the competition is about.

Used

Bardic inspiration (free d6 to add to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw) on Wandile

The excitable Kenku had not answered their question, but Vir didn't mind. Though they were no closer to their goal, they still felt a sense of accomplishment at the day's successes, and looked forward to seeing what was next.

"Well met, Piper and Wandile both. Rhyming riddles, to your question. I'm pleased that I wasn't expected to rhyme, I've some talent for the Bard's arts, but not so much that I'd want to test myself against the ever talented Piper."

Their smile was genuine, for while their Clan had no Dirgesingers, they knew well the deadly skill such individuals could bring to a skirmish.  For all her cheerful excitement, Piper was both armed and armored. Vir would assume she knew what she was doing with that rapier of hers until provided with evidence to the contrary. 

"We need to find Garn here some new challenge."

Actions

WIP

"My name is Galsariad," says the elegant drow. "If you're looking for more challenges, there is the pie-eating contest. There is also herding horizonbacks, which can be quite lively. Or I heard there is even a maze." Galsariad points in the general direction of each challenge as he calls them out. "There is also harvesting rice paddies, but I heard you need a partner for that one. Surely at least one of these is fitting for your little friend."

The blue skinned woman suddenly freezes in the water. Wipp manages to reach in and take the spear before the blue skinned woman sinks and swims to shore uncontested. After a short time, the blue skinned woman manages to break the spell. Realizing Wipp had already won, she assists the others in fending off the sharks, and as a group, return to shore. The goblin had been massively injured by the sharks and the others had received minor scratches and wounds, but a local druid heals them back to health.

With everyone safely back ashore, Omo finds a way to escape Farah. She calls Wipp onto the pier. "Congratulations to this year's winner of the Ifolon Plunge! Wipp!" Omo then gives Wipp a medal of the conch made of sea glass that has been magically crafted into the shape of a conch shell. Before anyone could notice, Omo disappears into one of the many throngs of people, most likely to enjoy the festivities herself.

Medal of the Conch

Wondrous Item, Common

When you use an action to rub this medal, you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed for 1 hour. Once this property has been used, it can't be used again, and the medal becomes nonmagical.

Soon after the winner is declared and Wipp is back with Namira and Farah, the three of them are approached by the blue skinned woman and elegant drow. "Your performance here was quite impressive, little one," says the blue-skinned woman. "My name is Ayo, and this is my companion, Galsariad. I've assembled an adventuring party. After the festival's closing ceremony at sundown, I'd like you to join us. I'd love to introduce everyone to you."

Name
Blue Skinned Woman WIS Save
1d20+1 1

spacer.pngFarah - DDB | MW Thread

checked-shield.svg AC: 16health-normal.svg HP: 27/27 | awareness.svg PP: 14Psionic Energy 4/4Conditions: N/A

Farah grins widely at Wipp, then at Namira.

"Great job! I knew you had it in you!"

She nods in acknowledgement as Ayo approaches and offers her own encouragement to the familiar.

"Y'know, you did pretty well yourself out there. I'm Farah, I was watching from the dock here and I would've sworn you'd have won, as fast as you were! Glad you managed to handle those sharks, too."

The tabaxi bends down and pats Wipp on the shoulder and pretends to fawn over his physique. When she's done goofing off, she stands back up and addresses Namira.

"So, where to next, Nami? Still keen on those tortoises, or should we take a stab at those pies?"

OOC/Actions

Bugbear Echo Knight 

The drow fills in the remaining competitions before Wandile gets a chance to reply - probably more accurately as well since he was going off what he could remember from the previous years and sometimes games changed around. The harvesting was a regular though. "Pleased to meet you Galsariad," he replies, "you're very well informed, and you Vir. Swordsage you say, where did you fight?" Wandile remembers a few practitioners who blended magic and steel, though most preferred drawing on the nether - or wherever it was the echoes came from.

"The maze is new this year, so I can't say much about that. The herding's always good fun to watch or do, trying to steer those rowdy ones around through strength or persuasion is usually equally fruitless! The harvesting's just a trick those farmers use each year to avoid paying for labour, though no less of a good time for it. Piper and I would be happy to take on you and the little kobold after some lunchtime pies maybe?" he adds, cheerfully volunteering the bard to join him, "You as well Galsariad, if you don't mind getting too muddy and can muster up a partner!"

"Sorry there doesn't seem to be too much rhyming for you there Piper," he continues, "though riddles sound fun enough, and it looks like there can be more than one winner too. I'll try to do as good a job cheering you as you did me."

OOC

Action: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Class Features:

Vir supposed "Swordsage" was a bit of a misnomer for them, considering they didn't wield a sword. Their weapon of choice was the hand crossbow they kept holstered on their right hip, falling back on Magelightning if they were pressed too closely to wield the armament. Still, their Clan were warrior scholars, and Crossbowsage neither rolled off the tongue nor properly conveyed their skillset. 

"My Clan was in service to the Noble Den Daev'yana, an alliance we still hold. During the war we were mostly charged with disrupting supply lines South of Bladegarden."

It had been bloody work, and where they had first distinguished themselves as a competent battlemage. They were still young though, barely mastering the most basic of their kin's Dunamantic techniques. They said "mostly," as the Noble Den had put them to work as spies just as much as they had warriors. The Clan of Corath were all as Vir were, Facedancers, and thus they frequently found themselves serving the Lens. 

"Where did you fight?"

They assumed the hulking Bugbear was a warrior, given his stature, arms, and armor. 

Actions

spacer.png

Garn
Chaotic Good Kobold Cleric (Light Domain) 3

AC 18 | HP 24/24 | Init. +2 | P.P. 14 | Move 30 ft. | Spell Attack +6 | Spell DC 14

Saves: Str +0 | Dex +2 | Con +2 | Int +0 | Wis +6 | Cha +0

Skills: Insight +6, Medicine +6, Persuasion +0, Religion +2

Gear: scale mail, shield, holy symbol (The Luxon), dagger

"Ooh, ooh, ooh! I want to do the pies! Where is that?"

Garn exclaimed excitedly.

To Vir's earlier comments,

"Ah, that's okay, don't feel bad. I'm happy to have you to follow around though!"

To Piper,

"Hi! I'm Garn. I've never been here but this place is crazy. You talk kinda funny."

Looking over toward the tall bugbear, Garn's face, now wide-eyed, receded slightly more behind the neck plate of his oversized armor.

"Hi..." he managed to get out timidly.

OOC

Notes:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Other:

Possible Reactions:

Active Effects:

Edited by DragonZaid (see edit history)