Chapter 1: A Fateful Competition

Brian Skies

image.png.a3631b3d4b1df6139e851e498461c12e.pngNamira - MW Sheet

checked-shield.svg AC: 14 health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | awareness.svg PP: 14 Spell slots 2/2 Conditions: N/A

Wipp hangs the necklace around Namira's neck, the glass conch one more trinket in a sea of trinkets, albeit a nicer one than most. For the gift he got a hug and a head pat, then he vanished to who knew where.

"Sorry Ayo, Wipp stays with us... but maybe we'll visit." She said, likely missinterpretting Ayo's invitation as being only for the familiar.

"I'm not sure I'm still hungry, but that place looks like its getting crowded. I do want to ride those turtles. You decide?"

Dice Ex Machina

spacer.pngWandile Dandala

Bugbear Echo Knight 

AC: 15 (Chain Shirt) | HP: 31/31 () | HD: 3/3 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +2
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 11, Investigation 11. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 17 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: Common, Undercommon,

Wandile nods in response to Vir, eyes dropping to their waist briefly, following the subtle tell of their hand brushing by. "Wherever they sent me is the honest answer," he chuckles in response, "I was with the scouts, mostly round the Brokenveil Bluffs - good for ambushes." His expression darkens, deep furrows over his ridged brow. "Last place I fought was the Marrow Valley, and ended up seeing far too much of it. So I retired to Jigow a few years back." He rubs one of the thick scars just visible beneath his hair, feeling a twinge at the memory. "Sorry, bad manners bringing up the past without a drink," he apologises, "can I get you one to make up for that?"

He reaches an apelike arm round to pat the little kobold's shell with furred paw. "Garn you say? Don't be afraid to speak up, else you're as likely to be bowled over round the festival! Though I suppose that might be why you're in all that armour!" His amber eyes settled on the more ornate dodecahedron about the kobold that matched his own simple iron lattice. "You're a follower I see?"

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: —

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Maul . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Flail . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Javelin [4] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 4 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Manifest Echo . magically manifest an echo of yourself in an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet of you. This echo is a magical, translucent, gray image of you that lasts until it is destroyed, until you dismiss it as a bonus action, until you manifest another echo, or until you're incapacitated. Your echo has AC 14 + your proficiency bonus, 1 hit point, and immunity to all conditions. If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll. It is the same size as you, and it occupies its space. On your turn, you can mentally command the echo to move up to 30 feet in any direction (no action required). If your echo is ever more than 30 feet from you at the end of your turn, it is destroyed.

When you take the Attack action on your turn, any attack you make with that action can originate from your space or the echo's space. You make this choice for each attack.

When a creature that you can see within 5 feet of your echo moves at least 5 feet away from it, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature as if you were in the echo's space.

Echo Swap . You teleport, magically swapping places with your echo at a cost of 15 feet of your movement, regardless of the distance between the two of you.

Second Wind . 1/1 (Short Rest) Regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Reactions:

Class Features:

Action Surge . 1/1 (Short Rest) You can take one additional action.

Unleash Incarnation . 3/3 (Long Rest) When you take the Attack action, you can make one additional melee attack from the echo's position.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

~image.png.8e7e3d897b23140563c5c87e4c9427d3.png  Piper HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 | Pass percep: 14

Piper puffed up their chest at Vir's comment about Piper, she took it as them being intimidated by her. Maybe they have heard of me! "I would like to hear you play, perhaps later today?" The tengu was a bit disappointed that there were no more riddles to be had, but looked forward to the pie contest. "To eating pie until our stomachs are as big as a whole pig!" She jumped a bit as the kobold exclaimed their interest in the pies, she had been too caught up and didn't really notice the walking armor. Piper may have even mistook the kobold as just armor that had been set up for some reason or another. "You look funny. " , was the immediate reply and she stared at Garn for a good minute or two, both somewhat baffled by all the armor they wore and what they said. She talked funny? What did that mean? "I was not meaning to talk funny." She was confused for a moment, if she talked funny wouldn't that make someone laugh? No one laughed and she did not tell a joke. Piper shrugged her small feathered shoulders, as if to shrug the comment and everything that came with it right off.

Used

Bardic inspiration (free d6 to add to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw) on Wandile

image.png.e27b3358131daffd07203a7782acd89b.pngVir Corath - Kryn Bladesinger

checked-shield.svg AC: 16 (19)  | health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | sprint.svg Initiative: +4 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: +9 | image.png.5761a33e1190901d4b01eb5ad3c8dbcf.png Bladesong: 2/2

Vir favored Wandile with a grim nod, the kind shared between veterans who had seen many of the same sights and horrors.

"I'm surprised we've not run into each other before then, as my Clan launched our sorties out of Rockguard and Ashguard. Well met then, and lets find you a drink"

Their feet led them in the direction of the pie eating contest, though they had no desire to perform. They assumed that was where the food and ale would be.

Actions

spacer.pngFarah - DDB | MW Thread

checked-shield.svg AC: 16health-normal.svg HP: 27/27 | awareness.svg PP: 14Psionic Energy 4/4Conditions: N/A

Farah frowns slightly.

"Aww, I was looking forward to those pies! And besides, we haven't eaten yet today. I know it's kind of morbid, but watching that competition kind of got my stomach growling..."

She shrugs and offers a playful grin.

"C'mon, I promise the tortoises will still be there after pie!"

The tabaxi begins quietly chanting, Pie! Pie! Pie!

OOC/Actions

Farah's not going to push the issue if Namira really doesn't want to do the pie challenge, but it seems like getting everyone together for at least one challenge is a good idea. It helps that Farah really is fairly hungry.

Bugbear Echo Knight 

Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 17 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)

Wandile shrugged in reply to Vir's suggestion they may have met before. "Saw a lot of faces round those halls, earned pretty quick it wasn't worth remembering them till you'd seen them a few times over," he continued in the same vein. If he recognised Corath's nature as a Facedancer and was making some oblique reference to the fact his own expression certainly didn't betray itHe is not - he's unaware. Though feel free to assume either way..

He made sure to shoulder his way through the crowd the few it failed to naturally part before his mountainous frame, not to cause trouble but to ensure there was sufficient space for the two smaller companions to follow without being separated. Vir, he judged, was more than capable of looking after themself. When they finally made it to the pie stand he breathed deeply, closing his eyes to hoover in the scent of freshly baked food being churned out by the trayful to keep up with demand. He made it way over to the nearby hobgoblin with a tray of ale, parting with some of his winnings to treat everyone to a stein of foaming amber. "Might be bad tactics to fill up on fluid before we start, but here's to friends old and new! At least, I think that's what this festival is meant to be all about. That and healthy competition." He offered a wicked grin, full of fang. "It's certainly got my blood flowing again."

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Maul . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Flail . Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 4 bludgeoning damage.

Javelin [4] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 4 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Manifest Echo . magically manifest an echo of yourself in an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet of you. This echo is a magical, translucent, gray image of you that lasts until it is destroyed, until you dismiss it as a bonus action, until you manifest another echo, or until you're incapacitated. Your echo has AC 14 + your proficiency bonus, 1 hit point, and immunity to all conditions. If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll. It is the same size as you, and it occupies its space. On your turn, you can mentally command the echo to move up to 30 feet in any direction (no action required). If your echo is ever more than 30 feet from you at the end of your turn, it is destroyed.

When you take the Attack action on your turn, any attack you make with that action can originate from your space or the echo's space. You make this choice for each attack.

When a creature that you can see within 5 feet of your echo moves at least 5 feet away from it, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature as if you were in the echo's space.

Echo Swap . You teleport, magically swapping places with your echo at a cost of 15 feet of your movement, regardless of the distance between the two of you.

Second Wind . 1/1 (Short Rest) Regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Reactions:

Class Features:

Unleash Incarnation . 3/3 (Long Rest) When you take the Attack action, you can make one additional melee attack from the echo's position.

checked-shield.svg AC: 14 health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | awareness.svg PP: 14 Spell slots 2/2 Conditions: N/A

Namira's head bobbed in an agreeable nod, her billowing hair catching the wind. "Well they are tortoises, how fast can they be right? Let's get some pie!"

Wipp mimicked her nodd from her shoulder, and then climbed into her pocket and vanished. "So what sort of filling do you think they have?" She asked as they made their way thought the crowds to the pie eating contest.

Dice Ex Machina

dismissing familiar for now.

• 2 weeks later...

The savory scents of meat, pastry, and spices fill the air around a three-story building mounted on the back of a gigantic tortoise. A cooking stand and a festival stage with a long table are set up at the tortoise's feet, where an orc stands over a massive oven. She bustles from the oven to the stage and back, placing delicious-looking hand pies at each seat and stacking more of them on a cooling rack nearby.

People are already gathered on stage, including a scrawny young human with a mop of brown hair and a scruffy beard. As you approach, the orc calls out in a melodic baritone, "Come to sample the best meat pies this side of the Wastes, yes? I sell 'em for meals up there, but I'm running pie-eating contests down here all day, if you've got an orc-sized stomach."

Agathe Silverspoon, the orc, gestures toward the raised platform next to her cooking station, where three people are already seated: a cocky looking male drow flexing his muscles, pointing at people in the gathering crowd and winking; a female halfling sitting very still with a smirk on her face; and a young male human, scanning the crowd as if looking for someone.

It costs 5 sp to enter this contest. On Agathe's signal, everyone seated at the platform can begin eating.

All contestants can easily eat their first pie. Eating a second pie requires a successful DC 8 Constitution check. For every pie after the second, the DC increases by 2. The person who eats the most pies before failing a check is the winner (there can be ties).

A contestant whose check fails is too full to continue eating and must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the contestant becomes poisoned for 1 hour and feels queasy.

The smell had Namira tilting towards the tables on tippy toes, with a savoury scent that threatened to lift her off of her feet. With a wide grin she flipped the orc a gold piece. "That's for the two of us..." She said with a side tilt of her head towards Farah. She was hungry and the pies looked delicious, this would be fun.

Picking up the pie she took large bites, savoring them her body seemed to crackle with electrical static, dissolving the meat and salty gravy into oblivion. In little time she finished two pies, followed by a third and a fourth that went down much the same way. Taking a moment she liked her fingers and exhaled a cloud that drifted up into the sky, before taking up a fifth.

She should have waited, maybe had a drink, but she finished it. Then there was a sixth pie, she took one nibble and knew she was full up, any more would just upset her tummy. So with a shrug she gave the rest of the pie to her familiar and wiped her face in a napkin before tossing it on her plate, signaling that she was done.

"They were delicious, thanks."

Dice Ex Machina

paying for both Namira and Farah.

Using the first con saving throw for the fifth pie, then rolling for sixth.

Name
Pie #2
1d20+2 9
Pie #3
1d20+2 13
Pie #4
1d20+2 10
Saving throw
1d20+2 16
Pie #6
1d20+2 4
Saving Throw
1d20+2 19

image.png.e27b3358131daffd07203a7782acd89b.pngVir Corath - Kryn Bladesinger

checked-shield.svg AC: 16 (19)  | health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | sprint.svg Initiative: +4 | awareness.svg Passive Perception: +9 | image.png.5761a33e1190901d4b01eb5ad3c8dbcf.png Bladesong: 2/2

Vir did not have the stomach for it, but they encouraged their companions.

"Seems a bit of fun, are you going to try for it Garn? I'd like to see you trade bite for bite with our new friend Wandile here."

They encouraged the Kobold, always seeking now to build bonds.

Actions

~spacer.png  Piper HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 | Pass percep: 14

Piper almost floated to where they were eating pies once the smell caught her nose. She eagerly goes to sit in a sit, only to be blocked and requested that she gives 5sp. She hurriedly dug in her coin purse and threw the 5sp at them and popped into a chair. Piper gobbles the first pie and eagerly awaits the other, but once it is placed before her she realizes that her gut is rather full. She eats as much of the second pie as she can, but has to call it. Piper gets rushed off her chair to make room for another contestant. She lets out a mighty burp and feels as if she could just roll where ever she wanted to go. Being done with her pie eating, she takes note of some of the other contestants. One had really fluffy hair that looked like it could make a delightful nest. There was another that looked like she might could eat Piper, but that wasn't really anything new. There was a lot of things bigger then the tengu and by that, they could easily eat her.

Used

5sp (not sure how to convert. Do we need to worry about Electrum?) @Brian Skies

Bardic inspiration (free d6 to add to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw) on Wandile

Edited by fenrirlokison (see edit history)
Name
DC 8 Constitution
1d20+1 1
DC 15 Constitution Saving Throw to save from overeating
1d20+1 16

Bugbear Echo Knight 

Wandile digs into his coin pouch to locate his earlier winnings, and hands 5 silver over to the orc. Not the cheapest lunch he has bought, but not awful value for a festival day. "I don't know Vir," he replied gruffly as he located a free chair and unbuckled his jerkin in anticipation, "I've seen some small guys drink everyone under the table, and put away twice as much food as you think they'd weigh," he replies with a wink, "maybe our Kobold's one of those hmm? Aurora folk are different though."

He easily grabs the first pie in one clawed mitt, and chows down with vigour before reaching for the second alongside another slug of ale. He idly notices a small blue goblin seemingly packing them away no end as he does, and points over at them with hooked finger. "See, like that one there Vir - pretty sure they're on pie four or five now, and still going strong."

Wandile meanwhile proceeds to continue packing pies away with the eagerness of someone who's familiar with not knowing when their next proper meal will be - albeit slowing slightly with each. He almost grinds to a halt on number 4, before rejuvenating himself with another large slurp of ale to wash down number 5 in a final push for victory. Unfortunately number six ends up lying half eaten before him even as he eyes the little goblin again - trying to remember how far they'd got. He knows when he's done though, and leans back in his chair with a large stretch - cracking several more joints than a normal arm contains. The halfling still has that same sly smirk he notices, with turns his contentment into a subtle frown. Judging he can trust another soldier, he motions at them with a thumb under the table and a crooked eyebrow to Vir.

OOC

Pie #6 should be DC16 for a failure - mistyped

Nat20 to see if that dodgy Halfling is cheating. If not, maybe it's time for a deep seated pre-judgement of halflings to develop!

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Class Features:

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Pie #2 (DC8)
1d20+3 19
Pie #3 (DC10)
1d20+3 12
Pie #4 (DC12)
1d20+3 10
Pie #5 (DC14)
1d20+3 13
Pie #6 (DC8)
1d20+3 11
Saving Throw (DC15)
1d20+5 17
Insight on Suspicious Halfling
1d20+1 20

spacer.pngFarah - DDB | MW Thread

checked-shield.svg AC: 16health-normal.svg HP: 27/27 | awareness.svg PP: 14Psionic Energy 4/4Conditions: sickened (1 hour)

Farah sets down next to Namira and eyes the pies hungrily.

"Now this is more like it! Time to dig in!"

She grins and gets started. It's clear before she even begins that her eyes are bigger than her stomach, but this is likely to be the biggest meal she's had in days.

When the contest begins, she tucks into the first pie easily, unfortunately unable to fully savor it due to the time constraints of the contest. She moves on to the second, already a bit regretful that she can't take her time. Just like a cat to be sure of herself, only to fall short of the leap. All the same, she manages to keep up with Nami and some of the other folks, but that sixth pie is just too much. Rolling away from the table, she shows signs that she's bitten off a bit more than she can chew.

OOC/Actions

N/A

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)
Name
Pie #2 (DC 8)
1d20+3 9
Pie #3 (DC 10)
1d20+3 8
Pie #4 (DC 12)
1d20+3 17
Pie #5 (DC 14)
1d20+3 13
Pie #6 (DC 16)
1d20+3 4
Con Saving Throw (DC 15)
1d20+3 6

The other contestants do not fare as well as the adventurers. The human makes it to the second pie before calling it quits. The drow almost finishes his second pie before tapping out as well. The halfling, who Wandile had been keeping a keen eye on, struggles mightily on her third pie. Her overconfidence quickly evaporates when see sees just how much her competition can put away.

When all is said and done, three contestants stand on the raised platform: Namira, Wandile, and Farah. Agathe speaks over the cheering crowd. "Jigow! With five pies each, your champions!" Agathe hands each of her winners a tin medal shaped like a meat pie.

Medal of the Meat Pie

Wondrous Item, Common

You gain 2d4 + 2 temporary hit points when you use an action to press this medal to your mouth. Once this property has been used, it can't be used again, and the medal becomes nonmagical.

While magical, this medal is slightly warm to the touch (as if it's fresh from the oven) and smells faintly of baked pie crust.

As Agathe returns to her oven to cook more meat pies for the crowd, the human, who had been sitting next to the adventurers, approaches. He has a scruffy and adolescent appearance. "Congratulations," he says, smiling towards the winners of the competition. He also makes sure to greet Piper as well. "Competitions like these are always enjoyable, wouldn't you say? Nothing but some delicious pies between contestants."

Name
Drow Pie #2
1d20 7
Drow Saving Throw
1d20 14
Halfling Pie #2
1d20+2 15
Halfling Pie #3
1d20+2 2
Halfling Saving Throw
1d20+2 6
Human Pie #2
1d20+1 2
Human Saving Throw
1d20+3 5

Bugbear Echo Knight 

Despite keeping an exceptionally close eye on the suspicious looking halfling, Wandile is unable to detect any sign of cheating, and they retire shortly after their third pie. Wandile huffs, and turns away. Probably they had only changed their mind because they'd seem him watching. He's happy to climb onto stage again for a fun prize giving, smiling widely alongside his fellow victors as the second medal clinks against his first. As they step down he turns to the goblin and catfolk and congratulates them. "You both put away an impressive amount for your size. Name's Wandile,"

Back down on the ground he grabs the approaching human's hand with visor on his own giant mitt. "Absolutely," he replies with a toothy grin, doing his very best to be friendly despite his intimidating appearance, "Piper and I only came here for a cheap lunch to be honest. I built up an appetite at the wrestling this morning. You local or just visiting for the festival?"

OOC

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Class Features: