Chapter 2 - Traveling Book Shop

Blaeringr

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

"Mushrooms, yes," Kek says, close enough to overhear Chelia's remark, and eying the deer with the smae thought in mind. "I find your potatoes bland. In Hakaja lands, there is a root we call 'sunchoke.' It is similar in texture but far more flavorful."
"Wise ... ?" he blurts, surprised by the Maybell's choice of descriptor.

Screenshot2024-03-08104832.png.3e1da04f830e521443b9e9d3d75fd6da.png"Maybell Sprinfield, you always have been a smooth talker, haven't you? And now you've manage to gather yourself a heroic little crew, traipsing about getting into who knows what trouble, and now literally talking a tree into uprooting itself."

She stares down her nose sternly at Maybell, shaking with barely contained...laughter?

Her facade breaks and she gets to her feet and moves forward to embrace the young halfling. "Oh you delightful young lady! There will be more time for questions and reminiscing, but I believe we should tend to this child in her delicate hour."

"My dear, you need a safe, fertile spot to plant your tree?" Gladespring meekly nods. "Excellent then. There is a fine spot down the west side of this hill. Decent light, near a rocky little brook, a good mix of undergrowth, animal life has been really enriching that spot for a while now. I think you'll do well there."

May reaches out and takes Gladespring by the hand, and the pack horses both don't even hesitate to follow May as if they've known her their whole lives.

The other folk, in their wicker chairs with their clay mugs, perhaps chuckle a little or crack a smile as May naturally dives into the situation.

May spends the next hour or so catefully digging out a spot in a clover filled clearing down the west side of the hill, along with the help of anyone willing to pitch in.

A trio of young wolves casually watches the whole affair from past the edge of the clearing, just visible through some bushes under some shorter trees. May doesn't seem bothered, but cautions anyone who tries to approach them that "they are no pets!"

As the tree is finally erected in the soil, roots unfurling, Gladespring's hair seems to regain its volume and bounce, and her eyes grow a more vivid green.

May explains the roots will soon find ample moisture, but for the next few days shows her how to carry water in a bucket from the nearby brook.

As the adventurers make their way back up the little hill, as evening is drawing near, any who look back will see the small dryad scratching the head of one of the wolves affectionatel who looks at her with puppy dog eyes. "Still not pets" May reminds.

May's guests have left by this point. "Local agrimancers" she explains offhandedly..

"Now dear Maybell, what under all the blue skies have you gotten yourself into? Chasing lumberjacks out of the woods. Crisscrossing across the colonies and everywhere in between, picking up folk from all over. Are you some grand adventurer now?"

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine was eager to help plant the tree and was happy to see that their decision to make the trip seemed the right one. He kept a wary eye on the wolves, but did not feel in danger. When he saw the dryad scratching one, he knew she would do well here.
He was growing hungry, he had heard halflings had many meals throughout the day and was looking forward to getting something warm and filling, even if he had to go find a tavern to serve him somewhere nearby.

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

Chelia would lend a hand with the planting of the tree, as much as she is able. Knowing that wolves would almost never attack humanoids, she just keeps an eye on them when they arrive, but as May doesn't seem concerned, she continues with the work.

"Well, here your tree will be safe," she said to Gladespring when they were done, "and you can start learning about humanoids here and then spread out."

She would follow the others back towards the house.

"Yes, she is and adventurer. And she helped quite a lot with a quick word left and right, as well as her magic."

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
AC: 18
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

Maybell can't help but to smile a bit awkwardly at the reaction to some of her titles. She may need to explain some of her choices later... but no worries, she has gotten the elusive praise of Lady May, so she's feeling extra smug and happy at the moment "Oh, I wouldn't say Grand just yet, but I'm certainly accompanying some wonderful adventurers here! We did take a commission at the festival, so officially we are doing adventurer work. We do have to report back on the job we took, but we couldn't leave her in danger. Though speaking of which... another option was with the people of our dear Kek here. They are a private sort, but from what he tells me they do give proper reverence to the land and all of its bounty. He did wish his people could have met and helped Gladespring and learn of the local fae... if one of his people ever does the travel, would you greet them, Lady May?"

Posted (edited)

11th of Renewal, year 20

May seems intrigued by the idea of Kek's people quietly exploring this new land in their own way, and suggests "sure, but why not begin with wise Kek here?" This her way of inviting the group to be her guests and stay the night at her place. She has a couple spare rooms for Maybell and Flick.

Hers isn't the elaborate burrow one might expect of a halfling of her reputation, but it is comfortable all the same.

For supper she brings out all manner of produce - a surprising amount of it being fresh - and gets a delicious smelling rabbit stew simmering.

Arnen, a halfling man maybe a decade younger than her, eventually emerges from the burrow with fresh bread loaves and several bottles of apple wine. He doesn't say much, but eventually, once everyone is eating, drinking, and chatting around the fire pit, settles down onto a log right beside May, and looks at her with a twinkle in his eye.

"Do tell us more of your tale," May says. "And where are you headed tomorrow?"

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine had enjoyed the food, and the wine and was quite comfortable in the simple, but cozy, burrow. When asked about the plan for tomorrow, Khaine decided it might be best to be a little vague.

"We were employed at Carisport. A fellow wanted us to retrieve something that had been taken by some goblins west and north of here. I reckon it is about time we headed back that way now and put his worries to rest. We just couldn't leave our friend and her tree fend for herself. It just wouldn't be right!"

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

Chelia was sitting relaxed and trying not to get an upset stomach from all the good food.

"You're right, we need to move on tomorrow," she said, "otherwise I'll have to get bigger armour from all the good food around here."

She would pitch her tent outside as the burrow was most likely halfling sized and not suited for her larger frame.

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"Oho, I can keep you with tales all night! Hmmm... however..." Maybell does appear to be a tad sheepish... on one hand, she knows her friends would be well received at Riverhall proper... but on the other, they have taken a lot of detours already. They do have a job to accomplish and not all of her friends are extroverts... can she really afford them the distraction here for her sake?

No, it would not be responsible... and really until they turn in the artifact, the job is not done. Her triumphant introduction of her allies to her family can wait for another time "Indeed, we should carry on back to our employer. They will rest easier once we tell them what we accomplished. I may sneak out early in the morning or tonight to show my face home in secret for a second, let them know I am well"

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

Sheet link

"I assure you that I am very far from wise," Kek protests grumpily. "And I agree. We should complete the task we have been contracted for."

Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"Ehehehe, seems like I missed the mark with that one... my apologies, Mr Kek. Now, now, if you'd allow me to explain myself... I know that when people think of wisdom they think of revered elders or among the spellcasting traditions, one thinks of those with spiritual acumen or openness to their environment... those who are able to reach out. Others think of perceptiveness. However, when I said wise I knew it wasn't quite the right word... with your deliberate actions and laconic nature... at least to me, you seem to always think through what you are going to do, trying to be in control of your actions... you hold your codes and traditions closely and think of what to do for yourself and your tribe responsibly...that thoughtful and deliberate nature is quite striking and it feels wise to me, good Kek. Then again, perhaps I am just too thoughtless and impulsive, ahaha~" explains the little halfling with a little bit of laughter at the end "But indeed, need to think of a better epithet... Hmmm the Keen perhaps?"

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

Sheet link

"I ... You ... Your intentions are noble, Maybell," Kek says, trying to choose his words. "But I am just Kek. If it is necessary to introduce me in a longer fashion, then I am a ... physician, perhaps. Or a practitioner. Not a shaman, however. The gods do not work through me."

Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"Ehehe, my apologies, my good man. Never did I imply as such, at least not any more than the Gods may act through their teachings and concepts to all mortals. I'll try to keep it in mind, Kek. Do not fear correcting me though, if I ever cause you grievance. It is in my nature to exalt"

12th of Renewal, year 20

The adventurers have a good rest, and dream of deeds past, and greater deeds to come. May's home is not some cozy inn with the finest sheets and thickest mattresses, but it has it's own inexplicable feel to it that leaves the travelers certainly better than after another night on the road.

May isn't especially chatty in the morning, though Arnen seems to happily fill the void with gossip about business, and family and friends in town: the three guests who were there the day before were apparently agrimancers, discussing this season's schedule for the town's farms.

Gladespring doesn't come up to the house to visit in the morning, and any who make the short trip to check on her will see her tree thriving, but the little dryad is nowhere to be seen. Perhaps wandering the wood? Or even further already? It didn't sound like her mission was terribly urgent, and with her tree now safe she'll have many years to get to know this world's civilized people.

As they discuss their plans for the day, and finish up breakfast, this particular group of adventurers can't help but feel like they're a little more ready for the road and what awaits them - congrats on leveling up!