Chapter 2 - Traveling Book Shop

Blaeringr

Posted (edited)

To Chalia: "Maybe you don't know your way around as well as you think. Won't matter over one tree either way." She snatches the document back and starts giving orders to pull the tree up by its roots: "roots aren't that deep, just peel them off the boulder. Pack it in the cart with some dirt and we'll be on our way. Leave the brat with her new friends here!"

But none of her companions are making any move to help. After Maybell's words they're just looking nervously at each other. After a tense few moments one shrugs and walks away, "I came here for honest work. See you all back at camp."

Then two more, then three more leave, then all of them, quietly heading back to where their actual charter marks their claim.

The dryad child stands frozen next to her young tree, eyes darting to the departing company, then back to the newcomers, then back again. She seems unsure to move or speak.

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
AC: 18
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

Maybell retreats a couple steps further from the juvenile dryad to give her more space... and as ridiculous as it is given her already diminutive size, the halfling gets down on her knees, setting her hands on her lap to show she means no menace "There we go, Miss. They are gone for now and convinced of the harm they would have made... they will do you no harm now. Of course, neither will we. Take deep breaths... I'm sure it was very scary. My offer remains if you wish for words of soothing, but I won't cast anything on you that you don't want"

spacer.png Flick

HP: 22/22
AC: 1618 with shield raised

Perception +4
Fort +6
Ref +6
Will +6

"A-are we really sure they won't come back?" stammers Flick. He has been letting Maybell lead the conversation, but he's been staying close to her this whole time, standing ready to support her if needed.

Name
Perception (Sense Motive)
1d20+4 16

Perception result

Flick believes most of them won't bother the dryad again, but a few of them likely will, perhaps with other more ambitious company.

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

Chelia waited until they were all gone.

"That woman with the charter paper might come back later," she said, "she didn't seem to be happy about us getting in between. So we'll have to think about that."

She turned to the child, but let Maybell do the initial communication, as she was probably a lot less threatening than a tall woman encased in metal and with a large sword.

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine was glad the lumberjacks had backed down. Most of them seemed a decent sort. He worried about the one or two bad apples.

"We can't stand guard here forever. Is there some way to conceal this spot, or the tree? Or to summon a guardian or two to keep watch over it?"

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

"Snares. Traps," Kek says. "I have not crafted them before, but I have a book which details their construction. I would spend a day to prepare this place, to teach would-be thieves that they will pay a price in blood if they wish to claim lands that are not theirs. A steep price."

Posted (edited)

"Y-you want to help?" She says, voice tremoring with doubt.

She takes a few deep breaths, then much more calmly speaks again, "Mother said I was to hide and watch these new people."Here..." she crouches down to pull something from under the roots of her tree - a paper. She hands it over to Maybell. It is a very soft and flexible sheet, like a giant petal, furled up liked a scroll. Unrolled there is writing on it written in an elegant hand. The script seems to flicker on the page, and Maybell soon realizes it appears in one of four languages depending on the angle the sunlight hits it from, elvish, halfling, Vedan (human common), and a language Maybell doesn't recognize.

It reads:

Dearest daughter Gladespring,

In the tradtion of our people, you are to learn about the people in this new land.

Stay safe and grow in your heart tree, venture out only briefly to learn what you can of them.

Over time, as you come to understand, maybe even love those whom you observe, you will eventually be ready to return to us as to speak for them among our courts.

Your heart tree will gradually feed you knowledge of your own kind, so do not ever abandon it for another tree lest you be lost to us.

My heart aches for your trials, but I know you will flourish,

Your mother,

Ambrosia

Her voice is stronger now, more confident. "If they will be back, then I have to go. I could go further into the wilds, take my tree, but they might try to follow. If they try to follow me soon...dragging a tree leaves tracks."

She pauses, and looks Maybell straight in the eyes, gathering courage to say more, "Do you know a safe place, where my tree would be guarded? Somewhere they won't just cut us down once mature?"

Screenshot_20240306_212554_Chrome.jpg.dc88827242358c14e374013e87e677bd.jpg

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

"A bit further along the way we came there is a valey with giant spiders," Chelia said, "If you go beyond that most humans won't follow, at least not quickly. Eventually we might spread, but that will not be for quite some time yet. And there is also a tower a bit further, but that is empty right now, so who knows. But if you have ways to befriend those big spiders, you might be safe there."

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

She doesn't seem very convinced by Chalia's suggestions. And Chalia isn't terribly convinced herself that a new group of goblinoids won't be claiming the tower, or whether or not the portal under it is complete or if it can be opened from the other end.

"Part of my concern is that I feel I am supposed to be reasonably close to these settlements to observe and learn about. The further out I go, the further I go from my tree to visit and watch. That's more dangerous too."

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

Sheet link

"I do not know how far afield you are capable of going, but you would be welcome in Hakaja lands," Kek says. "You could learn of us, and you would be safe, for we do not tolerate those who make claims against us. And in time, when you grow old and die, we would make great works of your heartwood: bows, masks and talismans, lyres and flutes. You would be honored for a thousand years."

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

Maybell considers the situation quite carefully. Now this gives her a lot of material to work with. However, this was certainly a lot... and quite a bad impression for the colonists to make. A glade of mature dryads... perhaps other fae spirits sends their innocent little daughter alone to observe human colonists and she almost instantly gets an axe to her side by lumberjacks striking outside of their zone. A misanthropic satirist couldn't write a more mean spirited rebuff of civilization's efforts and humanoid nature. Yet is it mere bad fortune that the poor darling was sent right to a lumberjack's encampment?

"That is a good and reassuring backup plan, Kek. However, the girl has been sent to observe and speak to the good and ill of the colonists here as they expand... your people remain elusive in nature, so while she can do the mission her family set her up to with your folks they would not know of the greater flow of people and information passing through these lands"

"The immediate problem is how to keep Miss Gladespring's tree safe as we set for Aldpine. The moment we get there, I'm pretty sure I can arrange for her safety... we do have some friends over there of influence and I can think of someone with big muscles and lots of friends who'd be cross to hear someone was about to kill a child. Moreso once they know of her quest"

"Miss Gladespring, how easy is it for you to move your tree? We can either try to find you a good place to hide for now or if it is very easy, maybe you can travel with us to Aldpine. We'll keep you safe and can introduce you to some good people who live there so they can let everyone know not to do you harm" asks Maybell with a kindly smile.

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

Sheet link

"The letter asks her to watch the people in this new land. Are we not also people, Maybell?" Kek says pointedly.
"These dryads find themselves surrounded by strangers, as we have. They sent their own to observe, as we did. They have no need for claims made on paper, nor do we. The Hakaja and the dryads could be friends ... allies. Of this I have no doubt."
He looks in the direction that the lumberjacks went. "And that is far more than I can say for Aldpine."

It would be a bit of a detour, but Maybell might actually know someone who could be a really good fit for this situation:

Springfields' Connection

The Springfield halfling clan are a well enough established clan in Newvale, especially in the RiverhallA large hill full of halfling burrows. Part of the community of Newvale. Lies on the northwest side of the river that runs through the town. community there. The halflings of Veda are the ones who first introduced agromancyAgriculture focused magic, a branch of druidism that focuses on building sustainable and diverse farms that support humanoid as well as animal and insect communities.

The basic idea is that communities that support nature strengthen that communities connection to The Green, which in turn increases the flow of vitality into that community making primal magics flow more easily there.

The halflings of northern Veda pioneered this idea centuries ago, and as the idea spread throughout the human population as well, relations with the halflings improved as the whole population saw a boom in growth of number and culture.
to the Vedan culture, and many strong practitioners of the philosophies and magics of agromancy were among the founders of Newvale.

Screenshot2024-03-08104832.png.3e1da04f830e521443b9e9d3d75fd6da.pngMay Greenbrook, (for whom Maybell was actually named?), is an influential older halfling woman, known to the Springfields in the old world, and who had a strong role in the Springfields' decision to help settle a new colony. May has become invaluable, and likely quite wealthy, in the community there making things grow, and teaching others how to make things grow better.

To the north and a bit west of Riverhall, surrounded by other people's plots of lands and little farms, is a small, dense, jungle-like forest of May's own making. There are no fences or walls around it, but locals respect its boundaries and youngsters occasionally whisper rumors about dangerous magical beasts hiding in May's little verdant kingdom. Rarely people receive invitations to the Maywood, as it's now called, and her friends and guests generally respect her privacy about the particulars. The Newvale town council has also been very consistent about respecting May and the Maywood.

Would May be willing to meet with Maybell? Would she be willing to protect Gladespring?

Altering the Connection

Occultism/Nature checks result: there might actually be a way to alter how Gladespring's connection with her tree works. Some druids have figured out rituals to awaken trees. Rather than hide Gladespring away somewhere, someone like May Greenbrook might be able to awaken this tree which would allow it to wander around with Gladespring wherever she goes.

Alternatively, someone quite skilled in stranger magics might also be able to manage this. It is said that the first ever awoken trees, long in the past, were sung to by mysterious fey lords.

map8Renewal20.jpg.87708add4971f90b99c811d68a2e679f.jpg

In response to whether she is able to transport her tree, Gladespring lays a hand on the tree. Its branches all fold straight down vertically along the trunk, and the roots pull away from the boulder and what little soil they have penetrated, up over the trunk and under the branches. Soon she is struggling to hold up her young tree which has straightened out into a bundle of branches and roots. It should be easier than dragging the travois in any case.

Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"That is a very pointed question, Kek. Of course the Hakaja are people and if they are like you and have the principles you spouse, I'm very sure she'll have a lovely and safe life among them. However, when her mother calls her back to report upon those spreading upon the land, towards the forests and woods, she'll have nothing to say there. However, I just had a lovely idea..."

"Lady May Greenbrook is a halfling known to my family. She's a veritable green thumb and wise in the ways of nature. Her Maywood is not too far... a bit of a detour, but it should be a wonderful place where she'll be sure to be safe... but more importantly, I think Lady May would be able to awaken her tree. With that, she and her tree will be able to move together... and she'll be able to visit and protect herself from other communities... and of course, also accept your invitation and bring news of the Hakaja to the Fae of this world"