Chapter 2 - Traveling Book Shop

Blaeringr

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

Kek looks from the young woman to the lumberjacks and back carefully. "I don't believe the workers can perceive the girl. But if they can, then their indifference is concerning."

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
AC: 18
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

With a little riff on her viol, Maybell is satisfied with getting their attention off from the tree... however, it seems she played a little bit too well... her words didn't seem to have stuck as much as her notes. She repeats herself, taking note of how Kek mentions how they lumberjacks perhaps cannot perceive the tree girl "Can you tell us what is happening here? Perhaps we may be able to help, good folk"

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine followed afer Maybell, looking as relaxed as he could. He didn't want this to have to end in a fight, but wanted the lumberjacks to know that he was more than capable of ending such a fight were it to break out. He hoped instead that Maybell could sort this out with words and good cheer.

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

chelia put herself next to, but a bit behind Marybell. her sword was in evidence (not hard with a giant sword like that), but in a non-threatening way. That of course could be rectified in a second or so. She does notice the effect those few notes have on the lumberjacks. Something to ask about later when this was resolved. For now it gets filed in the 'good to know' category.

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

The woman who first spoke snaps oit of it and takes a moment to look around and get her bearings, "Just some respectable businessmen staking our claim to some quality lumber." she says to Maybell.

The rest seem to huddle a little closer together as they spot the newcomers.

"No! It's my tree! Stop!"

"Little children can't stake claims," she says, exasperated, "especially not dirty little urchins like you."

"Please stop them! I'll die without my tree!" she pleads to the approaching adventurers.

Name
Maybell nature
1d20+5 5
Chalia nature
1d20+1 10
Kek nature
1d20+5 2
Khaine nature
1d20+1 5
Flick nature
1d20+4 4

'Well, that answers the question if they can see her,' Chelia thought. She didn't know if it was possible for people to die if a tree was cut, but if the child was a fey, anything was possible.

'Time to add a bit of weight to the discussion,' she thought. She lifted her sword on her shoulder with one hand.

"Lets all step back and have a civilised discussion. Why do you want that particular tree, when there's thousands around us?

OOC

The woman who first spoke replies to Chalia, "It's rare, valuable wood. You'd have no problem seeing that yourself if you look where Len's axe cut the bark." The rich brown meat of the tree where the axe scraped off some bark, barely a thumb wide, shows iridescent green veins growing through it, like some kind of mineral. Some of the same green seen in the boulder on which it sits.

"But we have a lawful claim to it" she waves a charter around in one hand.

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"I see, I see, businessmen here with charters of possession... looking at a rare specimen. However, my good entrepreneurs have you done any surveying of the tree in question? This looks to me to be a tree housing primal energies... while it could be quite valuable, it could just as easily entirely ruined by cutting it down. Me and Miss Chalia here are something of a pair of wandering scholars... and Mr Kek here is a veritable expert in the healing arts. The knowledge doesn't quite translate the same to plants, but he does know the bases of how all living things can be kept healthy. If you'd allow us to check this out we can tell you what this tree is all about" says Maybell diplomatically... and indeed, if she was looking out for their interests it is a very good offer. Who knows if you have a golden egg lying chicken and you kill it only to get bird meat? Or you go to the market with shiny wood, sell it for twice the price of normal wood when it truth it is worth a thousand times more?

She does try to approach the 'little girl' smiling in as friendly a way as she can... hoping her sincerity is transmitted past the flattery she has used on the villagers "You say you'll die if the tree is cut? I'm taking you don't mean that dramatically but factually?"

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

Watching the spokeswoman, Kek's eyes narrow. "That piece of parchment says that this tree is your proprty?" he asks. His tone is dangerously calm, which his companions by now recognize as annoyance, if not something worse.
"By what authority, might I ask? I inquire because the tree has presumably stood here for some time, but your ownership of it seems to be a new thing. This is of interest to me. A paper that allows one to claim dominion where there was none before."

OOC: The other PCs know that Kek's tribe lives in deep in the woods, and that they are deeply suspicious of the rest of the world. If these lumberjacks feel like they can just lay claim on whatever, the logical conclusion is that they will someday decide to go after Hakaja lands. Kek takes that extremely personally. As far as he is concerned, this might as well be a declaration of war. Other PCs may or may not understand his reasoning, .

"Can I see that charter," Chelia said, moving closer to take a look at the paper while the others kept talking. She also wasn't sure what to make of these claims, as it was logical on one hand with a growing population. But there might be other people already living there. So far all people arriving here had come from other worlds, but it certainly didn't have to be that way for everybody.

OOC

Results of Maybell's Lore

While she doesn't know exactly what to look for in appearance to confirm that this girl is a dryad, Maybell is very suspicious, given the details about the tree and her relationship with it, that this is indeed a juvenile dryad.

Maybell can cite a few poems that mention supernatural dryad trees that take on aspects of their environment. Elise Gold Crown, for example.

At Maybell's description of "primal energies" most of the crowd flinches and takes a step or two away.

To Kek: a man from the group, Len if you're gessing correctly from the chip in his polished axe "It's not authority, exactly - we're no lords. Itxs a resource charter. Folk of authority give em out in a town so people don't fight over who's cutting down trees in who's region. You get your charter in Aldpine, the big lumber consortiums usually get the best pick, then go to that area and gather what you will. That's it, we're just simple businessmen doing our business."

To Chalia: the woman hesitates, eyes narrowed, and holds the paper out for Chalia to see.

"I think you'll see everything is in order. And to further assuage any concerns, I reassure you we are not monsters - the little tree dwelling urchin we'll drop off in an orphanage. Maybe even the nice one down in Carisport."

It's a lot of legal babble, with an official looking stamp at the end. There is a well drawn map at the top of the back side of the page marking out their claim, but even at a quick glance a novice scout can see that that these businessmen have wandered a good couple of miles outside of their actual claim.

Chelia took out her own map and compared the two. She wasn't sure that this could be enforced in any way, but at the moment it was better to go with the flow than try to go against it.

"I'm not disputing your claim," she said, "but if I read this map right, you're not in the area of your claim. See, you should have stayed on the other side of that river here. We passed that and the hill that's on your map when we left Aldpine for our business and it's a few miles that way."

She pointed in the indicated direction, hoping that this would solve the issue, but making sure she was ready in case it didn't.

OOC

Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2

Statblock

"Tis a fortune we were passing around then, my good gentlemen and ladies... I know you are goodly folk to wish to aid a young girl you found in the forest, however, you have mistaken her identity" says Maybell, acting nice and dramatically as she turns her gaze at the girl and then lowers her head in a bow "Sorry for the disturbance, Lady of the Forest. Miss Dryad... Shepherd of Trees, Warden of the Woods... they knew not they were harming you. If you'd allow me, I can cast a few soothing words of healing upon you to ease your pain and aid your recovery"

So says Maybell before she turns and takes a few steps back towards the gathered crowd "The girl is a dryad, a spirit and being of the forest... she and tree are one, my good folk. If we had not identified it, you may have done more harm before noticing it... or worse yet, may had ended up murdering an innocent girl... and a spirit looking after the health of this entire forest! The consequences would have been dire..." explains Maybell.

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine hoped that between the yarn Maybell had spun and the fact Chelia had pointed out they were outside their claim would be enough to have the group back down. But he knew many a man and woman who would double down when found wrong, insisting instead on their being right.

He really hoped the adventurers looked dangerous enough to disuade a bunch of woodsmen from doing anything foolish.