Chapter 2 - Traveling Book Shop

Blaeringr

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 1/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 0/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 0/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
HP: 24/24
AC: 18
Spell Slots: 1/3 L1
Focus Points: 0/1
Halfling Luck: 0/1
Class DC: 18

Statblock

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7
Speed: 25
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

"Ehehe, I do believe I am a good judge of character. Just because people are strangers does not mean they are dangerous. And we all are very different, but at the same time, we are all quite the same. We have much, much more in common than we do differences. And among the intelligent sentient species, if we have the capacity to talk, with some luck, we can find a way to get along. Of course, there's some who are not as agreeable, you do need to have good judgement... but unless twisted by bad circumstances, most of us I think would rather get along. One need only taste the bitter fruits of war and conflict once to grow adverse to their taste... yet, to share warmth, stories, trade and collaboration, those sweet fruits make life worth living and drive people to come together once again" says Maybell in her shameless optimism.

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 2

HP: 34/34 | AC: 20 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 0/1 

Perception: +5 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +10 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine was doing his best to keep his blanket off the wet floor, but it seemed he was destined to be a little damp! He grinned at the hobgoblin.

"I don't know many who would call the farmers I knew wealthy. Certainly they had enough to eat, and sell or trade for what they needed. They did not do without and they were comfortable. But they worked hard and never had much more than what they needed. I don't believe any of them are thinking of expanding just yet.
I travel to improve myself, to learn about my own self and the world at large. I trained under a skilled man, Kurnous. He thought me the art of fighting. To use ones own body as a way to defend oneself, and as a way to focus and improve oneself. I set out to see if I could find him too. Though so far I've found neither sight nor sound of him."

When not pulling the travois, Khaine will use the Avoid Notice Exploration Activity

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

chelia wasn't sure how to answer that.

"We had some information about those strange goblins," she said, "but only so much, so we knew that we had some unknowns. And yes, I would do other stuff with these people. We don't know each other for long, but I think we can work together well."

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

9th of Renewal, year 20

Dew clings to everything this chilly morning, but with sunlight shining through the light cloud cover it won't last more than an hour or two.

As the adventurers are breaking up their camp, Weylin finally speaks up:

weylin(1).png.ead0850cc434af17e5d18745ad77e3b0.png.7d9ffb320f00e27f99922587fb54c389.png"It's not what I thought it would be," he says as some are packing away their blankets, or putting on their armor, or eating a quick breakfast supplemented by roots and edible leaves Tsimrin and others were able to scrounge up. "I don't mean the filth those things were spewing around, or the threat of being bitten by those poor infested creatures. My courage held up better than I suppose I could have hoped for. But every time I hit one of the little goblins with lightning...I couldn't help feeling really sorry for them."

Weylin scratches his beard a bit, and as he realizes he has the attention of the camp by now he continues, "I still want to see the world, and do some good, but I may be too gentle a soul for this. Kind of ridiculous with my past in the arenas of Allucia - but that was staged combat. I am a people person, and love the performance and excitement, but not the raw brutal antagonism we saw in there," he gestures back in the direction of the tower and the infested goblins. "I found myself feeling so angry at the goblins afterwards, hating them for making me actually harm them. Kill them. Sorcerer indeed..."

"Anyways, I don't suppose I'll be continuing on with your bold little company here. Maybe Flick has decided to fill my place. I'll be around though, in the colonies, giving a hand with this settlement or that in growing and prospering. I suppose I'll even be ready to use my offensive magic to defend them, but I can't go out looking for danger anymore. That's what I've decided. Thank you for listening to me, and for having me along."

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 1/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 0/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 0/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
Spell Slots: 1/3 L1
Focus Points: 0/1
Halfling Luck: 0/1

Statblock

"Oh Weylin... that's an important discovery to make. And truly a better path to take. Would that most everyone felt as you do. Wherever you go, they will be lucky to have your protection... and even more so, to have the mirth of the Drake among them" says Maybell quite simply, perhaps, for her usual chatty self... yet, she does respect a lot the choice and discovery their companion has made. To be gentler is always best in her books.

Khaine - Human Monk 2

Conditions :

Khaine had folded his blanket, eaten his fill and was doing some warm up exercises to get his body ready for travel.

"There is no shame in that Weylin. As Maybell said, the world would be a nicer place if everyone was more gentle. It will be nice to travel with you until we part ways. Let us stay friends even if we do not work together!"

When not pulling the travois, Khaine will use the Avoid Notice Exploration Activity

spacer.png Flick

HP: 22/22
AC: 1618 with shield raised

Perception +4
Fort +6
Ref +6
Will +6

"No... I can't go home. They won't let me." Flick makes a face at Tsimirin. "They basically gave me my mom's job and forced me to do it, whether I want to or not."

He sighs, then adds "But, I mean, it's nice to meet people... when they're not trying to kill me."

After Weylin speaks his piece, the little kobold feels like he has been backed into a corner. The group needs a new member, and of course it's gonna be him. Who else could it be?

Hesitantly, he says "I... I feel the same way, but... I'm okay with defending myself. Or, I'm learning to be okay with it, at least. And besides that, I want to get stronger and to learn everything I can learn. So... yes, I'll take your place."

Posted (edited)

9th of Renewal, year 20

After they're done eating, gathering up their gear, and equipping armor, the adventurers begin walking westward again. The sun's warm rays feel great after last night's wet chilly weather, and perhaps adds a little spring to their step.

There aren't any roads to be found, and no trails that will lead them to any village or town, and they try to stick to the grasslands wherever they can, winding around denser woods as they come across them. As the morning goes on, and they draw closer to the general region of Aldpine, they do see the occasional hunter's shack here and there.

At perhaps an hour before noon, as they are following the south border of thicker forest, they hear some shouting: it sounds like several humans are having an argument somewhere to their north inside the tree line.

Perception Checks

• Chalia
  • Khaine
  • Kek
  • Maybell
  • Flick

Survival Checks (to find tracks):

• Chalia
  • Khaine
  • Kek
  • Flick

Results:

With Chalia leading the way, the group is able to zero in on the source of the disturbance.

There! Kek spots the tracks first. Thanks to last night's rain, several sets of human boot prints lead into a small depression in the landscape.

Now sitting on a small ridge, still hidden by undergrowth, looking down into a bowl shaped clearing, a dozen axe wielding humans stand next to a boulder in the center of the bowl. Against expectations, a small tree grows right on the center of the large boulder, and a small, barely clothed girl stands up on the boulder, next to the tree, occasionally shouting down at the humans arguing with each other.

treeonrock.png.13dcbc69721ccccabd569699eea9433d.png

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)
Name
Chalia
1d20+7 18
Khaine
1d20+5 6
Kek
1d20+7 14
Maybell
1d20+7 9
Flick
1d20+4 5
Chalia
1d20+5 8
Khaine
1d20+5 9
Kek
1d20+5 14
Flick
1d20+4 13

Khaine - Human Monk 2

Conditions :

Khaine sets down the travois and puts his shield on his arm. He didn't want a fight, but best be prepared..

"Maybell, you've a way with words and you don't look very intimidating, perhaps you should lead the discussions and we will be your muscle to prevent things getting out of hand?"

He prepares to make his way into the bowl towards the men.

kek-tok-sm

Hakaja Kek

HP: 32/32 ~ AC: 19 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +6 ~ Ref: +8 ~ Will: +7 ~ Per: +7

Sheet link

Kek sighs. "I hope this situation is not as foolish as it first appears. And I concur that Maybell should speak for us."

EDIT: Warfare Lore for general combat abilities and competence of these gentlemen.
Edited by Dr Jackal (see edit history)
Name
Warfare Lore
1d20+4 8

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chelia Gremaris Elven Fighter 2

HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (20 with shield) | speed: 30 | hero: 1/1

Perception: +7 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5

conditions: none

chelia didn't say anything, but she lowered the travois, took her sword and leaned on the crossguard while letting Maybell do the talking. She did try to listen to their conversation (or shouting match, whichever) to get a feel of what the issue was.

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

Name
perception
1d20+7 5

Posted (edited)

"Don't hit my tree again! Stop!" shouts the girl next to the tree.

"It is a bit on the small side..." says the woman standing just in front of the rock in the adventurers direction, as if the girl hadn't said anything.

"And my axe barely left a mark. It's made of something dense." says a man to her left, also ignoring the girl.

"We should let it grow and just stake a claim to this area in the meantime." says another.

"Not a chance," says the first woman, "we can't trust that someone here won't just come back with another crew and cut it down."

"Would be nice to at least let it mature and fruit," says the one who tried cutting it earlier, "then we can plant more of its kind."

"Are you deaf! It's my tree!" cries the girl, "Leave! Us! Alone!"

"Wait!" says a new voice from the crowd to the right, "My old man's got an orchard south of town. We can uproot it and replant it there!"

dryadcrater.jpg.f71ff6b7d402ba8e5211de64868bc7c2.jpg

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 2[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 24/24 [b]AC:[/b] 18 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 1/1 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 18 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 5 Rex 6 Wil 7 Per 7 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 18 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 2
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1
Focus Points: 1/1
Halfling Luck: 1/1

Statblock

"Tra la lah~!" says Maybell as she's chosen by her friends to start diplomacy, her hand on the bow and body of her viol, playing a little but sharp tune to sound nice and loud and draw attention to the newcomers... there's a lot of ignoring people going around here and it won't do if nobody notices them. She keeps on playing her viol as they group approaches, weaving in her words with it.

"My, oh my, what do we have here? Neighbors staring at some wonder? Yet, you do not seem to be certain of what this lovely tree truly is. So many disparate thoughts, perhaps we can help solve this conundrum. We're just back from cleansing a lair of most foul evil and compared to that, this lovely tree is quite the sight~ Why would you want to harm it?" asks Maybell with a chipper, inquisitive tone... making sure to let them know the courage of her allies and that they are not to be dismissed outright yet keeping things certainly diplomatic.

"Young lass, you claim ownership of the tree as yours... perhaps you know more of it? Did you plant it and let it grow to be like this? What does it have that your neighbors are this interested in it?" continues Maybell in her inquiry.

OOC: Maybell is going to perform to be able to use Fascinating Performance feat to try and catch as many of the more rowdy lumberjacks into paying attention to her instead of swinging at it. I probably will need to do Diplomacy too.

Posted (edited)

Lumbering Jacks' will saves

Jack #1

Jack #2

Jack #3

Jack #4

Jack #5

Jack #6

Jack #7

Jack #8

Jack #9

Jack #10

Jill #1

Jill #2

Seven of the men, and both women stop what they are doing and stare blankly at Maybell. Three of the men, turn and give very surprised looks.

Name
Jack #1
1d20+4 17
Jack #2
1d20+4 9
Jack #3
1d20+4 3
Jack #4
1d20+4 5
Jack #5
1d20+4 8