Barrowmaze - OOC

cailano

32 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

We might need strength skill checks for the people busting up the stone entrance. Zaivie and Allen so far.

There was an OOC mention of buying at least two of every tool so we will need to say who is carrying it but that means purchasing an additional sledgehammer (5GP), a hammer (3GP), and a Pickaxe (4GP). A 12 GP total deduct from the party fund leaves a balance of 19GP currently being carried by Serpe as updated on the marching order thread. So who wants to add the additional tools? As per my tool table post Cyrus already has a sledgehammer. Tharnakalian already is carrying a hammer and pickaxe. I think Allen or Zaivie are excellent choices for carrying these party supplies.

I would just look at everybody str score and divide it up according to that before you start giving to those not as strong just go down the list.

it might be easier if you make the list we are using by STR score order highest to lowest.

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

@cailano asking a setting question here. Is worship of Nergal totally accepted by people? What about worship of Set or Orcus? I mean what passes as legit religious piety and what is like get the torches this is really evil cultist stuff? I've been RPing that it's a very not normal thing for Zaivie to start worshipping the God of Death but if that's within normal religious expectations than I'd adjust my roleplaying a bit.

Also why the sudden turn of some characters from grave robbing? I mean it was pretty clear from the first post that we were all going to be doing some grave robbing.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:20 PM, cailano said:

He sold you and a few other would-be tomb robbers and monster-slayers

20 hours ago, Excior said:

I would just look at everybody str score and divide it up according to that before you start giving to those not as strong just go down the list.

it might be easier if you make the list we are using by STR score order highest to lowest.

I rearranged the table and now it is clearer that Zaivie and Allen are best characters to carry the new party digging tools. Tharnakalian has more strength but is already carrying three tools. Allen has the next highest strength and isn't carrying any tools yet. Zaivie is tied for third highest and has no tools. Cyrus and Thomas are tied but carrying tools already. Black Dougal is weak and Serpe is weaker. If we start having a larger party fund we may need to reconsider who is lugging that gold around.

Two things for clarification's sake:

1. It isn't that Zaivie is worshipping the God of Death at all; she doesn't really worship any god in the sense of true faith and piety. However, she knows magic is real and assumes the gods are too, so when she can, she tries to be respectful of them and cover her bases, so to speak.

2. Zaivie also isn't really knocking grave robbing here as much as she's confused why some in the group feel grave robbing is good but offering up a hey-how-ya-doin' and a few skulls at a god's alter is bad. Remember, this girl is not smart, so the nuances of people's opinions may well be lost on her now and again.

That said, though, I gotta say: I kinda agree with her. Liking one but not liking the other seems pretty arbitrary to the both of us. :)

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, Raistlinmc said:

Two things for clarification's sake:

1. It isn't that Zaivie is worshipping the God of Death at all; she doesn't really worship any god in the sense of true faith and piety. However, she knows magic is real and assumes the gods are too, so when she can, she tries to be respectful of them and cover her bases, so to speak.

2. Zaivie also isn't really knocking grave robbing here as much as she's confused why some in the group feel grave robbing is good but offering up a hey-how-ya-doin' and a few skulls at a god's alter is bad. Remember, this girl is not smart, so the nuances of people's opinions may well be lost on her now and again.

That said, though, I gotta say: I kinda agree with her. Liking one but not liking the other seems pretty arbitrary to the both of us. :)

I would assume that placing an offering to the god of death would be made to placate it so it would not come looking to collect my soul.

1 hour ago, LarsWester said:

I rearranged the table and now it is clearer that Zaivie and Allen are best characters to carry the new party digging tools. Tharnakalian has more strength but is already carrying three tools. Allen has the next highest strength and isn't carrying any tools yet. Zaivie is tied for third highest and has no tools. Cyrus and Thomas are tied but carrying tools already. Black Dougal is weak and Serpe is weaker. If we start having a larger party fund we may need to reconsider who is lugging that gold around.

Roger that, Unless the GM calls for it I would just assume that any treasure is distributed among the party to to even things out and not worry too much about who has what ( Coins and such)

1 hour ago, Excior said:

Roger that, Unless the GM calls for it I would just assume that any treasure is distributed among the party to to even things out and not worry too much about who has what ( Coins and such)

Except that Cailano has asked us specifically to track who has what. So we were having the party funds being carried by one person. The party funds were used to purchase some of the digging equipment and we need our stronger people (Allen and Zaivie) to carrying them. They are effectively Allen and Zaivie's property now purchased with the group fund. Getting Zaivie a sledgehammer makes more sense than buying one for Serpe. Would Allen prefer a hammer for spikes, a pickaxe, or both?

4 hours ago, LarsWester said:

Also why the sudden turn of some characters from grave robbing? I mean it was pretty clear from the first post that we were all going to be doing some grave robbing.

I thought it would be interesting if Cyrus wasn't as cool as he made himself out to be. Robbing from some wealthy folk seemed to sit better with him than the meager offerings of what looks Like a normal family. He sort of feels like they barely have anything worth taking.

He's not against the whole thing but it's a sobering moment for him.

I'm playing Cyrus as a country bumpkin that only ever heard stories about stuff he's doing now and he's not really sure what to do with all of it. (And he's trying to not hear his mother's words of "wisdom")

Except that Cailano has asked us specifically to track who has what. So we were having the party funds being carried by one person. The party funds were used to purchase some of the digging equipment and we need our stronger people (Allen and Zaivie) to carrying them. They are effectively Allen and Zaivie's property now purchased with the group fund. Getting Zaivie a sledgehammer makes more sense than buying one for Serpe. Would Allen prefer a hammer for spikes, a pickaxe, or both?

Hmm. I don't want to be the cause of excessive bookkeeping. Maybe we can just keep track of who has the light while you're underground?

We can resolve other stuff randomly as needed. Obviously, a character would have whats on their sheet, but if someone falls down that bottomless pit I might make a couple of rolls to see what else they happened to have one them, and only if it makes sense.

I'm good with that if you guys are, or you can keep handling it explicitly. I don't want to put a requirement in place that makes the game less fun.

did anybody remove the sheet covering the bodies/skeletons? they might have rings and stuff also the thing they are resting on might have a secret compartment

7 minutes ago, Excior said:

did anybody remove the sheet covering the bodies/skeletons? they might have rings and stuff also the thing they are resting on might have a secret compartment

Sounds like something Allen can do in character explicitly as he leaves.

Also I made my post about Thomas mentioning the mound 2 to the North before Cailano posted that Cyrus heard noise from the North. Maybe it's people at mound 3 actively being plundered or people at mound 2. Not sure we want to go full murder-hobo but maybe we could sneak up and at least see who is out there. It might be Bertrand's Brigands with Gern. Or we can play it safe and go to mound 10 which we discovered yesterday.

14 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

Also I made my post about Thomas mentioning the mound 2 to the North before Cailano posted that Cyrus heard noise from the North. Maybe it's people at mound 3 actively being plundered or people at mound 2. Not sure we want to go full murder-hobo but maybe we could sneak up and at least see who is out there. It might be Bertrand's Brigands with Gern. Or we can play it safe and go to mound 10 which we discovered yesterday.

cailano indicates Cyrus thinks the sound is "a few hundred yards" to the north. Each hex is 50'. So 100 yds would be six hexes. 200 yds, twelve, etc. At face value and not being able to account for sound distortion in the mist or Cyrus having bad judgment, then we can maybe assume it's coming from the fogged area farther north of mound 3. I think reconnaissance is probably warranted.