Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

image.png.e51dad708369b1979cc2d4f2ec627f27.png

"Alright Zaivie, when we get there I'll distract him, you bag him. You brought a large sack, right?" Black waits a few moments for her to catch on that he's joking, then realizes that it's early, we're hung over, and that he missed the landing on his delivery. "I'm joking, of course. Look, I don't know this Tamson's situation, but I'm hoping we can get him to sign on with us as a guide with the promise of a share of our take. I've only got a few coins left to rub together, so if he demands payment up front, it will put us in a bit of a bind. Guess we'll just have to see."

"Story o' m' life," Zaivie says, nodding somewhat sagely at Black's words. "You try yer way firs', Mr. Dougal, an' I'll back ya up th' whole while. An' if that don't work, well...least I brought m' large sack jus' in cases, yeah?"

"I miss you already Zaivie!" Thomas calls after the large woman as she leaves with Dougal. "I'd be interested in hearing some of your stories from your times with the Black Crows, perhaps later though." he says across the table to Allen. "Any supplies you can think we should get before going to the Barrow Mounds?"

Zavie and Black Dougal

You leave the inn and head out into the Village of Helix. It's a small, rural village, and most of the businesses and services cluster around the village square. You spot several of interest, including a smithy, a general store, and a mercenary's guild. You make a mental note of their location.

There are a few people outside doing business or talking in small groups. A few untended dogs chase each other about, and some loose chickens peck at the ground in an alley. It would seem a peaceful place save for the sellswords and other armed folk walking around or hanging out in front of the guild. With them here, Helix feels like a dangerous frontier town where violence could break out at any moment.

You continue south along the main road and soon spot the turning blades of a windmill. That has to be the place.

When you arrive at the mill, you find a fit, middle-aged woman aided by two teenage boys loading sacks of flour into a wagon. One of the boys looks on the cusp of manhood. He might be fifteen or sixteen years old. The other is just a lad, probably thirteen.

When the woman sees you approaching, she stops her work and walks to meet you, dusting her hands off along the way.

"Can I help you?" she asks.

The boys by the wagon watch their mother but continue their work. You notice a longbow and quiver of arrows leaning against a wall near them. The bow is strung and ready for use.

** Village of Helix map updated. See the maps topic.

"Yes ma'am, hopin' ya can," Zaivie pipes up, smiling and sticking her hand out for the woman to shake if she's so inclined. "M' name's Zaivie and that's m' friend Mr. Dougal there. We got ourselves pointed this way by folks at th' inn, sayin' a young fella here named Tamson might be able ta point a couple o' newcomers like us in th' right direction. I'm guessin' one o' these fine young fellows goes by that name, eh?"

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | StatsStr 14
Dex 17
Con 14
Int  9
Wis 13
Cha 12
| SavesDeath/Poison.....12
Wands................13
Paralyze/Stone...14
Dragon Breath....15
Spells.................17
 | Arrows x25

Coming down the stairs with lazy, plodding footsteps, Cyrus made his way into the tavern and common room. His gear was thankfully not too cumbersome as he walked to an empty stool at the bar. He shifted his blade over his leg as he sat and set the unstrung bow on the countertop.

Scratching at his chin, the young man waved down the barkeep and simply said, "Ugh, gimmie a beer." He pinched the bridge of his nose hard as he tried to shake the headache of the previous night's decisions. The hair of the dog usually did him good.

Pulling his coin purse free, Cyrus counted his last few coins easily enough. "That's... a week. Without buying anything else. Green Man help me, I thought I had more left..." he muttered, running a hand through his shoulder-length blonde hair.

Once given his drink, Cyrus would turn on his stool a little and try to listen in on further conversations to see if he could sell his services as an archer. His searching eyes and longing looks were far-too-obvious and desperate.

Tharnakalian raises a hand in greeting to the newcomer at the bar. Like some of the other newcomers, that archer seemed better suited for a life of hardship than most in the tavern save the mercenaries labeled as former criminals by some of the others if there even was such a thing as a former criminal but he thought there was.

If you need money, well I won't say your in the right place but you ain't lonely in that there respect. I think a few of us hardier folks and by hardy I mean actually armed and armored with more than heavy sticks and rags aim to seek out fortune maybe in the Barrow Mounds. What say you? I think a party of them went out to find someone to talk to for a guide or something.

There's also a Shrine of St. Ygg and who knows what else out there. Don't know if you're a man of particular faith but a plea to the divine seems prudent if a hard road is ahead. I might head there myself in a few. Tavern's getting stuffy.

spacer.pngThe tavern was rapidly emptying of adventurers, causing Serpe to stuff the rest of his food in his face and swig the remainder of his ale.  He walked to the bar and left a few silver as a tip for the servers. While cleaning his face and hands, he looked to his right and eavesdropped on Cyrus and Tharnakalian before interjecting himself as soon as the topic of faith came up.

He lightly touched his holy symbol around his neck, "Those seeking fortune and glory would all benefit from a trip to the shrine for some peace and reflection. If you please, I would be happy to go with the two of you and may be of some assistance in providing blessings. I imagine the local clergy need all the help they can get with so many new folks in town coming and going. If nothing else, we may find others there who can provide some information on the Barrows."

image.png.e51dad708369b1979cc2d4f2ec627f27.png

Black doesn't have a lot to add, as Zaivie covered most of it. "Aye, it was the innkeeper that gave us the tip. We have a group, 6 or 7 of us, that are seeking a guide to the Barrows. We're quite capable of handling ourselves, but we lack knowledge of the area and we've been told that crossing the moor is perilous. Might one of your boys there be Tamson? May we have a few minutes of his time?"

Win the mom, win the boy.

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Grinning at the archer and priest who joined him and Allen at the bar Thomas introduces himself. "Names Thomas. I hail from a bit further South we met last night on the wagon but ... 'free ale'" He adds the last bit with a shrug of his shoulders as if to provide the excuse himself for any forgetting of his name. "Allen spoke the meat of it already. Zaivie and Dougal went to see about securing a guide to the Barrow Moor. Last night you expressed some interest in joining an expedition. That still true or did a night's sleep clear the ale from your head and wisdom take over? Bound to be some trouble but hopefully there's coin enough to make it worthwhile. Heard there's a mercenary guild in town as well. But Allen here is finished with merc work, you see he served with the Black Crows. Either way I'll join a walk down to the shrine not that I believe it will do much good. I believe in the gods mind you just don't believe they care too much about us down here. No offence Serpe I hope."

"Nothin' nefarious, honest!" Zaivie adds, putting her hands up in mock-surrender to the miller. "If I was a momma an' I saw th' two o' us comin' an' askin' fer yer boy, I'd wanna know those two ain't lookin' ta hurt 'im. So, ya know...nothin' nefarious. Jus' sayin'."

Damned if her guileless, wide-mouthed smile didn't back up every word she was saying too.

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"Barrow mounds? Sounds like a great place to get ambushed," Cyrus replied with a chuckle. He started slamming his beer as it arrived, hoping it would take the edge off the morning.

"Eh, I'm about as pious as any other man. Moreso when danger's near!" he added with a thigh slap and grin. "But the temples of my gods are the trees, the forest, and the roads between. Still, nothing hurt by having a gander. Yeah, I'll tag along with you guys."

To Thomas the archer simply laughed, then grimaced as he grabbed his head. "Yeah that free ale was just a bit too free. Ugh. Can't remember anyone's name. I'm Cyrus. Lancaster." A wide grin grew across the young man's face. "Nah, I'm still looking for something dangerous that pays good. Momma always said I wasn't cut out for it but I'll prove her wrong!" He seemed quite eager to face down unknown horrors.

AllenBlackhawk.jpg.426de77a853a2456e23375a1eff1f052.jpg

Allen chuckled wryly in response to the archer's remark about seeking danger, a glint of determination in his eyes. "Aye, indeed. But sometimes, danger is where the greatest rewards lie," he remarked cryptically, his mind already consumed by thoughts of the rumored treasures lurking within the depths of the Barrow Mounds.

"The Barrow Mounds," he mused, swirling the dregs of his ale in his tankard. "That's why I'm here as well. They say there's a labyrinth beneath it, teeming with untold riches just waiting to be claimed." His words were tinged with a mix of excitement and anticipation, his thirst for adventure overriding any sense of caution.

Emptying the last drops of ale from his tankard, Allen nodded decisively. "A visit to the Mercenary Guild might not be a bad idea," He smiles as he speaks "Perhaps we can find some gear to bolster our supplies before we venture into the mounds. Can't hurt to be prepared, especially when facing the unknown." With a determined nod, he pushed himself up from the table, ready to embark on the next leg of their journey into the unknown depths of the Barrow Mounds.

Zavie and Black Dougal

The woman arches an eyebrow when you describe your business with her son.

"Oh, Bolo told you that, did he? I wonder where he got that idea. TAMSON! TAMSON!"

Tamson - the older of the two boys - makes his way over to you.

"Tamson, these fine people seem to think you're hiring out as a guide to the Barrowmoor. You don't know anything about that do you?"

"Yes, M'am."

"I probably don't need to ask if your father knows about this."

"No, M'am."

"And what do you plan on telling him?"

"I guess I'll tell him that if he doesn't want me growing old in his house I need to make a living."

Tamson's mother's mouth hangs open in shock.

"Is that so? Well, we'll take that up with him when he gets home, won't we? Go load that flour."

"Yes, M'am."

Tamson heads back towards the wagon, but as soon as his mother's eyes are off him, he turns and gives you a thumb-up sign, along with a quick gesture to let you know he'll find you later.

"I'm afraid you'll have to speak with my husband," the woman tells you. "Tamson is a good hunter, and he knows the swamp better than most, but his father hasn't given him leave to hire out. Hendon is out in the moor looking into those rumors of the walking dead. He'll be back in two days, most likely."