Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

Stepping back outside, Cyrus made sure to tug at his hood to keep the sunlight out of his eyes. "Mercenaries? I guess you could kind of say I'm one of those," Cyrus replied to Navie.

"I was taught how to fight and shoot by a man called Klaven. He had lots of stories about where he got all the scars. Said he was a merc so that makes me one too, right? I mean, if you lot are gonna pay me to shoot stuff for you, then yeah, I'm your merc." He grinned and gave finger-gunscrossbows at the girl, clicking his tongue in his cheek at the same time.

"Hey, how old's this Tamson kid? He's tough if he goes out there alone I bet," he mentioned. Cyrus grimaced as his headache pounded again in his thick skull.

"The father's out on 'is own now; the son, I dunno. Not much older'n a kid but big enough ta know what's what, I'd say," Zaivie responds. "Yer Cyrus, yeah? 'member you from th' wagon. If'n yer any good w' tha' bow o' yers, we'll all be better off, I'm guessin'."

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgAfter politely taking his leave from the Shrine and joining the others in the Square, Tharnakalian gives a brief summary of their dealings to the folks who were at the Mill.

Aye, mercenary guild seems like as good a stop as any to get us started. They might have work, they might have information, who knows and there's one good way to find out. Then maybe see if we can't join up with Hendon. It seems our fairly decent equipment earns us at least the time o' day from most folks.

"Oh, th' boy's gonna find us," Zaivie says, as if it's a given.

"He's champin' a'right. Bit's in 'is bloody teeth, isn't it! Tamson? He'll find us minute he c'n sneak away w'out a whuppin', mark m' words."

She nods sagely, or as close as she can ever come to sagacity.

"But yeah, irregardless, I'm up fer that: guild an' onward. Maybe quick lunch on th' way, yeah? But af'er tha' - nice sandwich, real crispy'n'shit, ya know? - af'er tha', it's straight on ta adventure!"

It's the grin though. Damned if her grin didn't sell the whole thing.

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"Tamson seems a capable enough fellow. Not much older than I was before I became the adventuresome paragon I am."  He snickers a little bit at his own comment. "Key will be keeping the lad alive. You guys haven't met his mother. I don't know about these Bastards or Outriders or zombies, but she'll have our skin if anything happens to her lad. Most likely her husband is out in the moors to get away from her."

"I agree, we should have a look at the mercenary guild. If we can somehow manage to get paid for what we were going to do for free anyway, more's the better, right?"

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas being only 19 himself keeps his mouth shut about youth and experience. When the typic of the mercenary guild hall comes up he adds his two copper. "Wouldn't hurt to get some coin and the reputation as people who can get a job done. That sort of reputation can go a long way in a small town like this with at least two other organized bands of mercenaries or adventurers. From the priest's take at least one of them has a nasty reputation. Eventually we will need to come up with a snappy name for ourselves if we really want to start getting noticed."

"Mr. Dougal ain't wrong 'bout th' boy's mom neither. She'll rip th' sky down 'round the world's ankles if'n tha' boy o' hers comes ta harm," Zaivie agrees readily.

"Can't say I'll be much help w' th' snappy name fer us though. I'm good at lots o' things, boys, but bein' snappy ain't one of 'em!"

The Mercenary Guild

The Mercenary Guild is a single building with some space inside for tables and a large desk. At the desk is Guildmaster Osen, a long-faced man with close-cropped hair and two days of stubble on his face. Outside the guild are a few tables with tough-looking men gathered around them, playing dice or telling unconvincing war stories.

"Interested in the Barrowmoor, eh? Sure, I can find work for you out there, but maybe not all of you at once. I've got one group looking for torchbearers, but you wouldn't be interested in that. You're fighters! I can tell just by looking at you. I'm good with people. If one or two of you are willing to go out without the rest of your crew I'm sure I can get you hired as swordsmen. It's dangerous work but potentially good money. Fighters who will go into the Barrowmounds are hard to find these days, too, so it pays good. Three gold per day plus a share of any treasure your team recovers. Usually a half-share. Sometimes they don't find anything but some pottery and copper necklaces, but sometimes they find a handful of rubies. You can't tell until you're out there."

"I've also got some caravan work, if you're interested. I'd pay the lot of you 20 gold for the safe delivery of a caravan to Ironguard Motte. It's a three-day assignment altogether."

"But the Barrowmounds are the place if you want big risks and big rewards. Be careful out there. I've heard that every entrance is trapped. And you've probably heard the rumors about the walking dead. I can tell you they aren't just rumors. There's something bad out there. Real bad."

Name
Rumors
repeat(1d20,2) 2,14

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"Good morning Guildmaster!" Dougal exclaims. He listens to the spiel, a look of obvious disappointment creeping across Dougal's face. "I see. Not quite what we were expecting. We were hoping you might have a commission for us. Lost objects found, bounty for zombie ears, mapping the Barrows--that kind of thing. Don't suppose you know of any out there that would pay for such things, do you?"

"Come to think of it, you mentioned that there are some groups looking for swordsmen. Any information you can share about them? Especially any that may have been to the Barrowmounds a few times and lived to tell the tale? If there are traps, might be that we can avoid some trouble by sharing information."

AllenBlackhawk.jpg.426de77a853a2456e23375a1eff1f052.jpgWith a firm stance and resolute tone, Allen made his stance clear before the Guild master. "No interest in joining other groups or babysitting caravans," he declared firmly, his disdain for such tasks evident. "That's not why I left the Black Crows. I'm my own master now."

Leaning in closer, his eyes fixed on the Guild master, Allen's tone softened slightly as he delved into negotiation. "But perhaps we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement," he suggested a cunning glint in his eye. "We're in need of a map that leads to the Barrow Mounds. If you can provide us with such a map, we'll pay if the price is right."

His hand still resting on the Guild master's table, Allen waited, his expression expectant. He was ready to negotiate, to strike a deal that would set them on the path to their coveted destination

The Guildmaster doesn't seem surprised at your objections.

"Yeah, I had you figured from the minute you walked in. I'm good with people. You're adventurers, not mercenaries. There are other groups out there, like the Boon Companions, but I wouldn't count on them for sharing anything. They are all looking for the richest burial mounds in spots that don't get them killed, and when they find one they sure in hell aren't going to tell anyone else."

"You'll get yourself lost or drowned or eaten trying to follow a map to the Barrowmoor, but you'll get used to it if you live long enough. The problem is, it's a bog. Finding a dry path is hard, and they change with the seasons. In winter, you can't walk out there at all. Things will get real quiet around here when the rains start, wait and see. For now, find a good guide. I can see who's available if you want. Cost you five gold for my time, though."

"But if you want to hire help... torchbearers, porters, even hired blades, then you come on back. The best ones are picky about who they work with, but if you've got gold and a decent reputation, you're set."

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian shrugged at the objections of his companions.

Listen, I want the riches, glory, all of that from the Barrow Mounds as much as any of you. But right now or darn close to it I'm gonna need any gold at all. I've got some provisions but next to no coin to speak of and I reckon that I am far from the only one here carrying more steel than gold.

If we can't get the existing lead for a guide straightened out, one of you can either pony up for the Guildmaster's services or we can try the caravan job. That'll put some coin in our pockets and give us a bit of a good reputation around here if it all goes well. Or more or less well.

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"Much as I'd like to take on that fighter's job... I could use a bit of coin before hitting the Mounds. I'm with this guy--let's take that caravan job, first," Cyrus said, pointing his bow at Tharnakalian.

Looking at the guildmaster, the young man asked, "Hey, uh, what do you mean about the rain? Is it the bog? Does it--awww no, the bog floods doesn't it?"

AllenBlackhawk.jpg.426de77a853a2456e23375a1eff1f052.jpgAs Allen's declaration resonated through the room, a sense of finality hung in the air. "I am done with selling my sword, that life is behind me now," he proclaimed with unwavering determination, his gaze encompassing the assembled group. Gesturing towards Black Dougal and Zaivie, he continued, "BD and Zaivie have given us a lead on a guide. Let's talk to the kid and set out for the Mounds at first light."

His words carried a weight of resolve, a steadfast commitment to embark on a new path and confront the mysteries that awaited him. Allen felt a surge of anticipation for the journey ahead, his mind already conjuring images of the riches and perils that awaited them in the depths of the Barrow Mounds.

Yet, amidst the excitement, a question lingered in Allen's mind, prompting him to fix his gaze once again on the Guild master. "Once we do find the Barrow Mounds, how are the tombs sealed?" he inquired, his voice laced with curiosity. "What kind of tools will we need to gain access?" It was a crucial detail, one that could make or break their expedition into the heart of ancient mysteries.

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

Zaivie pipes up agreeably, "Yeah, caravan sounds good ta me too," entirely missing the conviction of Allen's resonating declaration, as it were.

And why not? Watching a wagon wasn't a bad way to make a gold or few, she mused.

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)