Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

Black Dougal is thoroughly admonished by the woman's tone, having been on the receiving end of more than a few tirades by strong women in his life. "We understand completely. We shall trouble you no more with it, and if we have not managed to find a guide on our own before then, perhaps we will return in a few days. Best to you and your husband." Then he adds, just a little bit louder so that Tamson might hear, "We'll be staying at the Brazen Strumpet if your husband returns home early."

"Come Zaivie. All this flour has me craving biscuits, let's go see if the others haven't been more successful in their own endeavors."

"Right'cha are, Mr. Dougal!" Zaivie agrees readily, giving the miller woman a somewhat absurd little curtsy as she and Black make their leave. "Nice meetin' ya, ma'am!"

Once safely out of earshot, she murmurs softly to Black Dougal, "Well, that went 'bout as good as could be 'oped for, eh? Ya see that boy's face? Gods above, that kiddo's champin' at th' bit! We'll see 'im sooner rather th'n later, mark m' words."

The Shrine of St. Ygg

Thomas, Cyrus, Allen, Serpe, and Tharnakalian make their way to the Shrine of St. Ygg, which ends up being across the village square from the Brazen Strumpet.

The Shrine is more of a small church with enough seating for 200 people. There are three priests there, including the Half-Orc you met earlier. The other two are Brother Othar, the senior priest, and Cella, who works under him.

Othar is a well-groomed man in his forties, with a ready smile and a firm handshake. He seems genuinely pleased to make your acquaintance, especially in Serpe's case. Cella is a young woman with short, dark hair, but she is tending to her duties and don't do more than give you a polite greeting.

The half-orc priest is named Gamdar, and doesn't say anything to you at all.

What did you want to ask?

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

Stepping into the sunlight to cross the market square, Cyrus seemed to wilt. He pulled his blue cloak hood up and pulled it near his eyes, squinting the whole time. He groaned as a slight dizziness hit him. The young man paused, took a few deep breaths, pressed his knuckles into his temples and then continued on with the group.

Getting out of the sun was a blessing in itself, though Cyrus refused to remove his hood. His lazy eyes took in the scene, but he simply hung near the rear of the group. He clumsily plopped into a seat while the others talked, leaning back with eyes shut as his sword clanged into the wood. A moment later he grunted and pulled his backpack one way and quiver the other way, snuggling between them somewhat awkwardly while he slouched down. His bow was unattended across a thigh and waist.

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian somewhat sheepishly offers a polite greeting to the half-orc he had previously met in the Brazen Strumpet and then greets each of the others in turn. If they are too busy with their own duties I find no fault with that, he thought to himself.

We are newcomers to this town and aim to seek the Barrow Mounds. I will not tell a lie and instead I tell you forthright that our aim or at least one of our major aims is wholly pecuniary - there is treasure for those bold enough to take it. I would rather draw your anger now by honesty than your enmity later by deception.

Does your order have any interest in that place or anything you would like to see done there?

If you are willing to do so, would you utter a prayer or provide a blessing, not for good fortune or glory or none of that, but merely for our safe return?

And a fell thought of doom for last, if one of us were not to return alive, would you priests be so kind as to provide a decent even if humble burial?

Following the others from the Strumpet to the Shrine, meal in his belly and his thirst slaked, Serpe genuinely felt better as he entered and they were greeted by Othar and Cella.  He nodded at Gamdar during the introductions, noting the half-orc's taciturn disposition. The young priest examined the inside of the church and noted the size in relation to the seemingly small village of Helix.

Speaking to Othar, "Good tidings from the House of Power to you, Brother. With so many visitors to tend to these days, you must be busy and St. Ygg is surely pleased.  If we can be of any help to you or your abbey, we are at your disposal. We come seeking your guidance and blessings."

OOCMore pending responses to Tharnakalian's questions.

24 minutes ago, Excior said:

AllenBlackhawk.jpg.426de77a853a2456e23375a1eff1f052.jpgAllen is visibly out of his element inside the church and remains quiet, He looks like he is scared that one of the clerics will speak to him about something.

** OOC - This made me LOL.

Othar listens to requests, nodding his understanding.

"You're not the only adventurers drawn here by the promise of treasure, I promise you that. While a few have come with the purpose of fighting the evil that dwells out there, it doesn't seem to change their odds of coming back. Many don't."

"It wasn't always like this. How much have you heard about the Barrowmoor? I'm no expert. I ventured out there once, along with Hendon, our village ranger. What I felt out there was a pure, malevolent energy. Undiluted Chaos. I've never felt anything like it."

"When you arrive, you'll find burial mounds. Many of them. No one knows who built them, it was a people that left here long before the Ironguard family arrived. Long before Helix. Some say there's a vast labyrinth beneath them. I can't say for sure."

"But there are those who have ventured out into the Barrowmoors and returned. The Outriders of Ulek, The Bastards of Bogtown... a few other groups. I've heard one of them found an elven princess out there recently, but I certainly didn't see her in town. I've heard there are mutated people out in the Barrowmoor that catch people and enslave them. It's hard to know what is true and what isn't."

"You seem better prepared than most of those who venture out, but please be careful. It would be nice to have adventurers that were of a better sort than the Bastards of Bogtown. I'm not sure they're any less of a danger than a pack of zombies or lizardmen."

Othar offers a blessing from St. Ygg and wishes you the best **.

** The blessing is not a spell and does not have an in-game effect other than to make you feel a little better.

Name
Rumors
repeat(1d20,2) 5,18

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

Their work complete, Dougal will matriculate back towards town square to see if he can't catch sight of the others. He'd like to see if he can't gather everyone together to head into the Mercenary Guild. It might not make a difference, but if there's an impression to be made, rolling in deep with the heavily armed and armored warriors all together would certainly do the trick.

"You know Zaivie, I never thought myself the 'mercenary' type. You look the type though. Ever done any work as a merc? To think that might actually get paid to explore these Barrows on top of any loot we manage to pull out of them is pretty intriguing. Maybe they'll have a commission for us?"

If he does manage to find anyone, he'll share the news of finding a potential guide. In any case, he'll keep the Brazen Strumpet in view in case the young tracker arrives seeking them out.

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas kept the warriors between him and the priests. The eyes of holy men made him uncomfortable. It was as if the gods themselves were looking upon him judging him for his thoughts and deeds. Not that they would deign to do anything about it but it still made him squirm in his skin. He waited while the others asked their questions and got their answers. Scratching the stubble on his chin and looking over the churches candelabras. Something Othar said rings his ears and moves from behind Tharnakalian and asks "Them Bastards of Bogtown that lot lead by a half-orc with brands on their left hands? Or are they some other adventuring party? Ran into them at the Strumpet this morn. Seem like a nasty lot just by the looks they were giving off. This Hendon is he available for hire? Wouldn't hurt to have ranger familiar with the territory along with us. There really walking dead things around there or is that just hype?" Thomas dares to look at Othar and wait for answers to his rapid fired questions. He wants to get a measure of the man and see if there's any nonverbal clues while he answers.

The Shrine of St. Ygg

Othar shakes his head at Thomas's question. "No, the ones led by a half-orc are the Outriders of Ulek. I don't know much about them one way or the other. The Bastards are led by a wizard named Ferwig. They're a nasty bunch."

"Hendon owns the mill. I don't know if he hires out, but he sometimes goes out into the moor to look into troubles. I think he's out there right now, come to mention it."

Othar speaks with the easy confidence of a righteous man. While you don't get the sense that he's a fool or naive in any way, you don't peg him as someone with a lot of guile, either. Someone who might be careful about what they say, but not a person who is likely to lie.

The Village Square

Zavie and Dougal return to the Village Square just as Thomas, Allen, Tharnakalian, Serpe, and Cyrus leave the Shrine of St. Ygg. It is about nine-thirty in the morning.

What do you do?

Zaivie blurts out a laugh at Black Dougal's question.

"Well, thank'ee kindly, Mr. Dougal, but no, I ain't never been a paid mercenary. Been paid ta do lots o' stuff in m' life, but never fightin', though gods knows I done enough o' that too once all's said an' done. That don't mean I ain't in'erested though. Look! There's the other lot o' 'em from th' tavern. Let's ask 'em an if they wanna try their luck at th' guild w' us, even better!"

Going over to the group, she tells them what she and Black Dougal learned from the mill and suggest the mercenary guild as a next stop.