Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

"Well, great! Glad we've got an arrangement, then. Should I put all seven of you down for the job? Or just six? The caravan leaves at first light cause it's a full day's travel to Ironguard Motte. Here's how it works: once you sign I pay half up front now with the other half payable on safe delivery of the caravan. The Silver Standard Merchant Company will pay you directly when you get there, so don't forget to collect your gold."

"Far as expenses go, the caravan master will feed you and put you up in an inn in the Motte. Anything else is on you."

"Once you sign, we've got ourselves a legal agreement. Usually isn't a problem but I had a couple of bastards take my gold and head to Bogtown a few years ago. I had to send some of my best boys to find 'em and bring 'em to the Duke. Wasn't a good time for anyone. But I know you'll do better than that. I'm good with people."

"Now, safe arrival don't mean 'not a scratch on it.' It means the wagons all arrive, the horses aren't slaughtered, and nothing is missing from inventory. If you lose a wagon or the animals or you get robbed, you keep the advance but nothing else. If one of you gets killed, I pay an extra three gold for funeral expenses. If you get hurt I don't pay for healing, that's on you. Do we have an agreement? If so, I'll get a contract together."

"Aye, I'm in," Zaivie says, ready to sign her telltale, scratchy Z as her signature on the contract. "Ya had me a' half up front, caravan master feedin' me an' th' inn, good sir!"

1 hour ago, Raistlinmc said:

"Aye, I'm in," Zaivie says, ready to sign her telltale, scratchy Z as her signature on the contract. "Ya had me a' half up front, caravan master feedin' me an' th' inn, good sir!"

Osen shakes his head and laughs. "That Bolo knows how to turn a coin. With all the treasure hunters coming into town, he's about doubled his prices. Can't blame him. He can only take so many guests."

14 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:
spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"Much as I'd like to take on that fighter's job... I could use a bit of coin before hitting the Mounds. I'm with this guy--let's take that caravan job, first," Cyrus said, pointing his bow at Tharnakalian.

Looking at the guildmaster, the young man asked, "Hey, uh, what do you mean about the rain? Is it the bog? Does it--awww no, the bog floods doesn't it?"

"Yeah, it floods, but not in summer. Come November it will be damn near impassible."

"It sounds like you're all staying at the Brazen Strumpet. I'll check over there in a few hours when I have the contract ready."

With that, Osen goes back to his work.

What do you do?

Situation Summary:

1. You've verbally agreed (or at least most of you have) to guard a caravan bound for the city of Ironguard Motte. Nothing is signed yet because the contract isn't ready.
  2. You've located a potential guide in Tamson, the Miller's son. He has indicated he will try to find you.
  3. Those without 2 gp to your name will need to either find some money or else work something out with Bolo at the Brazen Strumpet, or you'll be without a place to sleep tonight.

Zaivie has one gold to her name, so working something out with Bolo at the Strumpet before setting off with the caravan in the morning will be her general plan for the rest of the day, I'd say.

Alien

Before you leave the guild, Osen answers your question about getting into the tombs. He tells you that some aren't sealed at all but he's heard talk about some that are completely buried and others with rooms that are bricked over. He advised bringing a couple of shovels, crowbars and sledgehammers. A lot of times, the retainers hired out of his guild are tasked with being "hammerers" as much as fighters.

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian steps out of the guild. We should at least check what manner of things the general store and smithy have in stock to get a sense of what this town has to offer in terms of resources.

"Feel free, but I'm headin' back ta th' Strumpet," Zaivie replies to Tharnakalian. "I ain't got any gold ta spend, so no need ta torture m'self in stores w' things I can't buy, eh? Y'all enjoy; I'll be a' th' inn, seein' if I c'n barter my way ta another meal an' bed t'night!"

Once back at the inn, Zaivie will approach the owner, explain her situation - leaving on a paying gig in the morning - and see if she can't peel some potatoes for tonight's meal in exchange for a place to sleep for the night.

Serpe listened intently to what Othar had to say while they were at the shrine, jotting down details as best he could. Once the group moved to the mercenary guild, the cleric let those with more martial prowess than he do the talking and, feeling out of his element, followed them without question, relying on their expertise in such things.

When Tharnakalian suggests visiting the store and smithy, "Guiding a caravan for a day sounds simple enough. However, I think some extra preparation is an excellent idea, sir."

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"Agreed, it's simple money and we might find work in Ironguard. Food is free too, you can't get a better deal than that. Just gotta make it to tomorrow morning," Cyrus said confidently.

"You guys do have money for tonight, right?" he asked a moment later, still seeming confident that everyone had at least two gold.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

While the rest of the group decides their fate, or at least how we intend to spend the next couple days, Black Dougal will lurk around The Brazen Strumpet in hopes that Tamson will seek him out. "I'll wait for the guide. If his terms are favorable, we can make arrangements for him to see us into the moor. I'm all for heading to the Barrowmounds sooner rather than later--fortune favors the bold! But if we're for caravan work first, I can let him know that we'd need a few days to prepare before we're ready for him."

"If we're only considering caravan work because people lack the coin for the inn, I'm not above sleeping in a barn. We can't be the only fledgling adventurer band that has been through this village without enough coin to afford the Strumpet's hospitality. I'm sure a farmer would let us squat in an empty barn. I also have enough coin to float someone for a day or two, if that helps decide matters."

OOC: Still not convinced that a return trip/rations are included in the caravan gig, it sounds like we get paid the second half upon safe delivery to Ironguard Motte, they put us up for a night, then we're on our own. If we have to pay for rations for the return trip to Helix, hardly seems worth it.

"I ain't a begger," Zaivie interjects, albeit with an appreciative nod toward Black. "I jus' met you lot an' I ain't 'bout ta start owin' anyone favors or notherwise. I 'preciate th' offer, Mr. Dougal, but yer money's yers an' I won't be takin' on copper o' it. I'll make m' own way an' pay w' m'own money, thankee kindly."

She then adds, "I told tha' caravan man I'd do this job an' I ain't 'bout ta start bein' a liar neither, but tha's no pressure on you lot. If ya don't wanna guard w' me, no trouble there an' no offense taken. If'n yer still around when th' caravan gets back, let's hook up fer a drink an' talk The Barrows. If not, well, good fortune an' best wishes an' all that stuff!"