Interlude

Zen Gypsy

Ionacu is #6 Streetwise, Society, though the skill use itself is based on a recall knowledge rather than actually walking the streets.

There are somethings he might try IC though such as checking the library for potential hiding places in the street designs if Zen Gypsy allows that.

For those who aren't confident in their ability to reach the check DC, can they roll to aid their nearby buddy?

Might be a way to contribute without necessarily risk failure, though it means taking longer to get the number of successes we need.

The remaster "typical DC" is 15, so more achievable but not hugely. The main issue is critical failure, but regular failure is less of a problem than for the activities.

I also figure the GM will be more reasonable, since the rules listing says it's a "Typical DC" and not the only one.

18 minutes ago, VennDygrem said:

The remaster "typical DC" is 15, so more achievable but not hugely. The main issue is critical failure, but regular failure is less of a problem than for the activities.

I also figure the GM will be more reasonable, since the rules listing says it's a "Typical DC" and not the only one.

Well, this is why I asked about the Remaster version of Aid in Discord. But I'd have to disagree that the difference between 20 and 15 isn't 'huge' at 1st level. With a +7 bonus, the chance of a critical failure is doubled (1-2 vs 1) and worse with +6 or +5 bonuses.

Of course, GM can adjudicate, but one should probably know what one is getting into before taking Actions to prepare an Aid reaction.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Stray thought. A recurrent theme has been that Lamm has always evaded facing the consequences of his misdeeds. That could be simply a narrative device to accentuate that the Party will be the hand of justice here ... but it might also mean that Lamm is either more than he seems or, perhaps more likely, that he is merely a puppet whose strings are pulled by something or someone capable of protecting him.

I don't think this is meta ... just what the characters know collectively should suggest that Lamm might well be covered or protected.

@Thramzorean  In response to your inquiry about Society and Underworld Lore.

Caltrix is Trained in Society and has Lore (Cerulean Society). I don't know whether GM would consider that to have any overlap with Lore (Underworld)?

I suppose I've already taken Caltrix off on a Shadowing Activity as her first foray, but if no one else has Society, Caltrix can assist Ionacu during Round #2 (which we shall certainly need).

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

I could potentially hold off of the Bird's Eye View activity to help since I'm trained, but my bonus isn't very high. I'd definitely be just rolling aid to give you a bonus on your check. But it does make narrative sense, unless someone else is also planning to go this route.

6 minutes ago, VennDygrem said:

I could potentially hold off of the Bird's Eye View activity to help since I'm trained, but my bonus isn't very high. I'd definitely be just rolling aid to give you a bonus on your check. But it does make narrative sense, unless someone else is also planning to go this route.

Caltrix' Society bonus is +5. If Aquila wants to go the Society Aid approach in the first round. Caltrix could then have a try with assisting in the second round if Aquila would like to give the Bird's Eye View a shot then and if that's what Ionacu would like to do.

Sadly, Caltrix can't assist (very well) with Athletics. 💪

To clarify, Aid would be your 1st Phase action. As the Aid DC 20 is higher than the task DC, you're each better off to, at least at this level, it's best in your best interest, to attempt an activity. Another point of clarification you may attempt, as a group, the same action in a single phase.

In that case, I may as well attempt a simple Streetwise Society check, and see what turns up. Aquila will go with Ionacu to turn up intel on the streets, then use that intel, or try a different angle, in phase 2.

5 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

To clarify, Aid would be your 1st Phase action. As the Aid DC 20 is higher than the task DC, you're each better off to, at least at this level, it's best in your best interest, to attempt an activity. Another point of clarification you may attempt, as a group, the same action in a single phase.

How does that work please? Does everybody get a roll and then we get to run with the highest roll? Or we get the highest training level plus highest ability modifier on the roll?