Chapter 4: Still in the Dark

Eagleheart

spacer.pngAfter making some preparations and getting a good night's sleep, you set out for Guardian's Way. It's a long walk through the forest, which eventually gives way to a meadow where three sturdy outposts have been built in the trees, with a fourth building standing on the ground in the meadow's center.

The nearest and largest structure is a two-tier wooden platform, supported twenty feet off the ground by the trunk and branches of three large trees. A pair of rope ladders provides access to the platform's lower tier, while another rope ladder provides access to the upper one, ten feet above. The branches of the central tree hang down low, obscuring the contents of both platforms - but as you get closer, Corwyn and Syhlas can see movement amidst the tree's branches.

Will you approach the platform, or try to sneak around?

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Perception for Matilde
1d20+9 2
Perception for Corwyn
1d20+6 15
Perception for Syhlas
1d20+7 14
Perception for Arionne
1d20+5 1

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: (21) | health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

Arionne had traveled well, as she always did. She was not a woodswoman, far more at home in a monastery library than she was on the open road. She had several things going for her though, being strong of back, possessed of considerable stamina, and relatively unburdened when she didn't summon her ruddy scales to cover her skin. She wasn't sweating in heavy plate, or lugging about a pack filled with steel armaments, begging to stop at every crossroads to try and catch her breath. 

When they got to the tree fort she slowed, looking to the others for guidance. 

"I've no talent for stealthcraft, I'm afraid. I make a pretty good distraction though."

With a grunt of concentrated effort, she drew on her bloodline and summoned the scales to herself. They emerged from her skin, but did not rip or tear, instead forming naturally as if through transmutation. One moment she was dressed only in her modest traveler's robe, her pale skin bare in the few places where it showed. The next she was covered in thick scales, thicker even than they had seen the previous day. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 18, +8
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 1d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 3
HP: 41/41 | AC: 20 | Perc +7 | Fort +9 | Ref +11 | Will +11 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions:

Syhlas is a city guy having lived in Kintargo for most of his life, but he enjoys traveling the outdoors as well. He has spent most of the last year or two on the road. He definitely prefers it to crawling in dark castle chambers. As they move towards the Guardian's Way he stays at the back of the group keeping a lookout on the surroundings and let those who know the area lead the way.

They stop at the edge of the meadow and take some time looking at the constructions in the trees. "I see someone up in that big one at the centre." Syhlas whispers.

"I could try to sneak around and see how many they are and what we are up against if this turns ugly." He stops for a moment to think. "Didn't you mention one of those potions we found could make a person invisible? Perhaps it could be useful here to gather some info about this place before we make ourselves known."

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

checked-shield.svg AC: (21) | health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

Arionne didn't like the idea of Syhlas scouting alone. If something happened, they wouldn't be in position to come to his rescue. At his suggestion that he drink the potion, she relaxed somewhat.

"Seems a smart use of it."

She agreed, curious how they might acquire more.

Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 18, +8
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 3
HP: 41/41 | AC: 20 | Perc +7 | Fort +9 | Ref +11 | Will +11 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions:

Syhlas drinks the invisibility potion and then moves towards the big construction of platforms at the centre of the meadow. He moves quietly as if he wasn't invisible.

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Name
Stealth
1d20+11 2
Stealth advantage
1d20+11 18

spacer.pngNow invisible, Syhlas moves to a better vantage point by climbing up onto the large platform, being quite careful not to disturb any objects or to make too much noise. Here he sees two half-orc men standing guard, with the big tree's limbs keeping them mostly hidden from far-away onlookers. Sitting upon the taller central platform is a third half-orc, this one with a war horn strapped to his belt. All three have longswords, shortbows, and leather armor.

From here Syhlas can also see the other two raised platforms, each of which is manned by another half-orc. As for the grounded building, it has no windows and its door is closed, so there's no telling who or what is in there.

Syhlas notes that the half-orcs look bored. Clearly they're not aware of his presence - or the rest of the party's - but they seem to be eagerly waiting for something to happen.

Active Conditions:

Syhlas walks quickly around all the buildings and structures of the meadow and then comes back to his friends to report what he has seen.
"So there are five guards, all half-orcs. There might be more people in that building."

"It seems like they are waiting for something. Shall we wait and see what it is or try to take them out before it happens?"

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

As he was invisible when he drew near, and quiet soft footed, Arionne startled.

"By the First Prince's shits!"

She hissed, almost summoning flame before recognition hit.

"Syhlas...."

She eventually recovered her composure.

"I'd rather hit them before their backup shows up rather than after."

Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 18, +8

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngWhile you're discussing what to do, you are approached by a man in Hellknight armor.

"Excuse me. I am Alak Stagram of the Order of the Nail. I've been following a series of leads that led me to the Reliant Book Company... and that, in turn, led me here."

He turns his gaze to the guard platforms. "These mercenaries are wanted in several jurisdictions. I'll gladly help you take them down, if that's what you plan to do."

In the short time they had known her, Syhlas and Matilde had been on the receiving end of Arionne's polite smiles many times. Syhlas' invisible appearance had evoked wild eyed surprise, but as the stranger drew nearer the roil of emotion on her face gave way to an ocean of stillness. They saw it wash over her, a rising tide of blank civility that only grew more pronounced with each step forward the Hellknight took. It was then, and only then, that they saw her courtesy and good graces for what they were.

A mask, as sure as any Signifier's.

"Hail and well met, Alak Stagram of the Order of the Nail."

There was no trace of tension in her voice, but they understood well now that it was there. Her eyes looked him up and down, searching for indications of rank that would tell her if this were an Armiger, or an actual Hellknight. Of all the Orders they might encounter out here, the Nail was the least worrysome. The chances that he was here hunting her were lower than if he'd been of the Chain. Yet she could not let her guard down, even for a moment.

"I'm Arionne of Breachill, I will let my companions speak for themselves. We've been tracking an assassin of Achaekek who we think may have gone to ground here. One of our number, glamoured and invisible, has already done a full circuit of the camp. We were making ready to strike them."

She didn't want the Hellknight thinking Syhlas was a foe when he finally revealed himself.

Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 18, +8

Active Conditions:

When the Hellknight shows up Syhlas becomes suspicious and stays silent for a long while. He had fought Hellknights of the Order of the Rack in Kintargo and hated them as much as he hated Barzillai Thrune himself and the Church of Asmodeus. But he knows there are several orders of Hellknights and they can be quite different. In fact another smaller order had fought alongside the rebels in Kintargo. He doesn't know much about the Order of the Nail so he decides to be friendly towards this newcomer, for now.

"Well met Alak! I'm Syhlas Yaeder. As Arionne says the tracks of a murderer from Breachill has led us here. I took a tour around the meadow scanning the tree constructions. There are five guards, all half-orcs with longswords and short bows. One of the guards has a war horn so I guess he might warn others when they are attacked. Perhaps if we can take out that one first. But that would need some kind of ranged weapon."

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngAlak nods at Arionne. "Yes... Voz Lirayne, the aspiring Red Mantis. That is who I'm looking for, too."

He remains stone-faced as the invisible Syhlas speaks.

"Hm. Well, ranged weapons seem to be in short supply here," he dryly notes as he looks at the group, then looks back toward Syhlas. "Can you ambush the one with the horn before your invisibility wears off?"

Active Conditions:

It feels a bit awkward to speak with people who can't see you, but Syhlas makes sure his companions and the Hellknight can see where he stands by moving a small branch of the tree he stands next to softly. He has no idea how long time the invisibility potion will last. He had been quite fast moving through the meadow so hopefully there is still some time left. He looks at the big tree at the centre of the area where the three guards are. He would have to climb past the first two guards and then surprise attack the third one before he could blow his horn.

"I can try. You will have to be on your toes and join the fight as soon as I'm in position. You want me to give a signal? Shout something perhaps?"

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

An Armiger then, Arionne noted. Still seeking to prove himself worthy of the Order and of the Empire. She didn't want him being too invested in studying what she was doing, in her techniques. She could only hope that he'd never trained with the Sisterhood of the Golden Erinyes. If he had, and he wasn't an idiot, he'd be able to see the origin of her own martial stances quickly. At the very least, the things she could do Hamatulatsu would be unlike anything he could have encountered before.

"I can conjure Infernal Flame to strike at a decent range, Armagier Stagram..."

She's never hinted before to Matilde or Syhlas that she thought her fires were Infernal in origin. When she'd spoken with Corwyn about it, her theories and postulations had always hypothesized a Draconic origin for their strange powers.

"... though such blows do not hit as hard as they might if I am up close and in the fray. I'd be worried about not incapacitating the one with the Warhorn immediately, so I don't think I make a good candidate for a finishing blow. It would make a pretty obvious signal though."

A chain of fire streaking through the air would certainly be hard to miss, and would open things up enough that Syhlas could hopefully finish the man off.

Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 18, +8

spacer.png"...Infernal, you say? And you recognized my rank insignia..." Alak peers at Arionne. "I have questions ... but forget it. I have no authority here, anyway."

He pauses for a moment, then thoughtfully looks at Matilde. "You, you're a priestess of Iomedae. You can try to reason with these men. They probably won't be receptive... but you'll also be distracting them while we move into position. When you say 'attack'—in any context—that will be our signal. Agreed?"