Input on starting a new game here

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Llyarden said:

I only have 6e and Champions - how different is 5e revised to those?

I assume when you say 'champions' you meant Champions Complete as that's a pared down version of 6e.

The gameplay itself is almost identical. Most of the differences are in character creation. 5eR and all of the versions before it used 'figured Characteristics'. The first 8 (Str through Com) were straight point buy, but PD, ED down through Stun were 'figured', meaning they used the first 8 (well, nothing used Com, so the first 7) to calculate the base values (instead of them being a base value of 10). Point costs were generally higher (Dex costs 3 per +1 instead of 2). For the most part. The power costs were mostly the same with some tweaks here and there to the cost, but not a whole lot needed to be changed since 4th edition. 5th mostly expanded on 4th and, since it was like 20 years after, a new edition was warranted even if not much 'changed' because the system was basically perfect since 4e. The one big difference, which turns out to be mostly cosmetic, was applying power costs to calculate the different Perks and Talents. Some changed but mostly they rammed the calculations to 'justify' the costs that they had set originally. 6e did away with that because it was pointless (especially considering the power costs were balanced, but arbitrary).

Champions complete just simplified 6e very nicely. It did away with a lot of things and folded other things into something else. IF you are going to play 6e, Complete is definitely the way to go.

The newest Hero Designer builds both 5e and 6e, so if you have that, you are golden. It no longer supports 4e, which I think is sad, but I probably would never play 4e again since 5e explains out the rules and power descriptions (with examples) better.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

BTW, I am pretty amped up about playing champions! I've been digging up stuff but finding a lot of stuff missing (actually, in storage). I think we'll be delving into Dark Champions soon enough here :)

Get Ready for Shadows of the City

Bum

bum

BUUUUM!

For edition, it looks like 5e (which will be the Revised) is edging out 6e (which we'd use Complete if I'm not using 5e) a bit, so 'cast your vote' and we'll see what system. Hopefully everyone's got the Hero Designer. I do, so I can whip up your toon... but that will take some effort between us to tweak it up right.

Just now, Llyarden said:

Unless the 5e books are cheap, in which case I might be able to get them.

$20 PDF from Hero Games ($40 with book too... its a big book)

same price over at Drive Through RPG is you prefer

Side Kick is available on both sites. Its just $7 on both and is a very light version of 5e Revised with basically all the point costs without the expanded descriptions. If you are familiar with Champions, even just 6th edition, you can probably get away with SideKick. The word Side Kick refers to the fact that it is a smaller, less robust version of the edition, not that its for creating side kicks to tag along with your heroes.

Okay that was the next question I was going to ask, because I found 5e Revised, Sidekick, Sidekick Revised, and somebody talking about an Ultimate Edition that I couldn't actually find anywhere. Thanks. :) I guess I'll wait for a firm decision on what system we're using before I actually buy it though lol.

Dark Champions isn't 'dark' in the sense of 'evil'. Its more of a 'street level' kind of setting where characters are more like Batman, Nightwing, Powerman, Iron Fist, and Daredevil. Super Powers are certainly available, but its a bit more gritty story wise but the stories have a less world/nation focus. Typically, these heroes don't have that "Four Color Feel" and are usually the lesser powered super hero level (for 5e, that would be 150 +100 or 300 +60 in 6e/complete).

The adventure I have was 4e version from '93. Power levels back then were similar to 5e but I'll still have to go through the adventure to try to determine what would be appropriate for character points... especially if we use Complete.

Going back on the 'count' it looks like 6e is the vote unless a lot of peeps come out and demand 5e. Champions Complete IS a light version of 6e so we'll be using that... though if there is any confusion in the Complete rules, we'll default back to 6e.

I'll have some work to translate some of the things to 6e. The rolls are exactly the same, but they are defined differently in an attempt to be more traditional like d20 (though it still uses the 3d6 bell curve it just doesn't use the same notation, such as you have a 14- (14 or less) roll to succeed).

So go ahead and start thinking up your character ideas in 6e and I'll get a board put up soon-ish... or I could start one if everyone is OK that it wouldn't really have anything in it except a place to move the conversation.

Some games have crunch.

But Champions (and GURPS too) has CRUNCH!!

I haven't played in years, it's not the easiest to run in PbP but I ran a Fantasy Hero game set in Hyperboria years ago on a different site and it was a lot of fun. Nice to see some Hero System love

• 3 weeks later...